Ocean City TRS

Status
Not open for further replies.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
I just got back from the Eastern Shore, and I must say that I continue to be impressed by the OC TRS - even if it is EDACS. It's technical performance is exemplary, and the system seems to be well utilized by the different agencies that operate in the city.

However, just one jurisdiction to the north, the Sussex County / DE Moto TRS is in bad shape. The signal strength is marginal thoughout many areas in the county, which in my opinion compromises everyone's safety. Clearly when the state designed the system, they did not specify an adequate number of tower sites to ensure the quaility of coverage needed by public safety organizations (I think the number was cut back for budgetary reasons.) Let's hope that future TRS's are designed with safety as the number one priority.

CA
Annapolis

pinetree

You are right on about Delawares system. In the estimation of many fire and police the system should be junked. Paramedics can often not communicate with the hospitals without going digital. In a major fire near Milford in the early spring the whole system crashed. The current problem is the amount of agencies that are now on the system. In a major storm or anything like that we will be better off with 2 tin cans and a piece of string. As far as the towers at one time at the beginning there was only 5 towers for the whole state designed into the system. The bidding was also rigged so that there would be only one vendor for the system.
Ocean City has a far better system. I listen every time I am in the area

EDACSTECH

Thanks for the kind words. We are lucky to operate in such a small footprint. Larger systems take a lot of design consideration as well as $$$$$ to get the signal where it is needed. It seems that most systems are deployed and quickly require additional sites to fill in dead spots. I sometimes believe if the vendors designed systems that fully secure communications where it is needed, that nobody would approve the cost. So it goes, pay me now or pay me later. The Ocean City system was installed in '93 and has worked very well for our demanding requirements.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.