Ocean City update August 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

saber2k5

I know there have been a lot of questions as to what we can hear in OC. This is the latest info that I have gathered, both by first hand observation, and conversations with various public safety personnel over the past few weeks:

This is still a hybrid system--
EDACS is still active for Beach Fee and Public Works. Using first 2 channels as listed at site 9.
AND
P25 Phase II system using the remaining 3 channels; 1 as cc, other 2 as TDMA for voice.

Police on P25, with 4 talkgroups--ALL ENC. Using Harris XG15 portables.

FD on VHF at this time; no patch to P25. Can clearly distinguish the MDC1200 trailing PTT at end of each transmission.
There is simul alerting on both VHF and P25. QCII tones come through well on P25 and activate an APX set up properly.
FD/EMS is about to go to P25 system within the next few weeks. FD have APX8000 portables to communicate on both P25 and surrounding towns still on VHF.
Fire and EMS Alerting will continue on both VHF and P25 systems indefinitely.

Beach Patrol is on P25 and using APX1000 portables. BP and FD can talk to each other on P25 (heard on BP talk group this week). BP would prefer less muffled transmissions, harder to hear than when they were on VHF analog. Emergency buttons not in use at this time (at least not by BP).

-john

Last edited:

Fireman39313

Feed Provider
I know there have been a lot of questions as to what we can hear in OC. This is the latest info that I have gathered, both by first hand observation, and conversations with various public safety personnel over the past few weeks:

EDACS is still active for Beach Fee and Public Works. Using first 2 channels as listed at site 9.
AND
P25 Phase II system using the remaining 3 channels; 1 as cc, other 2 as TDMA for voice.

FD on VHF at this time; no patch to P25. Can clearly distinguish the MDC1200 trailing PTT at end of each transmission.
There is simul alerting on both VHF and P25. QCII tones come through well on P25 and activate an APX set up properly.
FD/EMS is about to go to P25 system within the next few weeks. FD have APX8000 portables to communicate on both P25 and surrounding towns still on VHF.

Beach Patrol is on P25 and using APX1000 portables. BP and FD can talk to each other on P25 (heard on BP talk group this week). BP would prefer less muffled transmissions, harder to hear than when they were on VHF analog. Emergency buttons not in use at this time (at least not by BP).

-john

Hi John,

I am heading to OCMD tomorrow. I have a Unication G5. I think I got everything setup on it for the P25 system. Only thing I am not sure about is the QCll (alerting). Any idea on how to set it up?

policefreak

Premium Subscriber
This thread is about OC New Jersey just so you know. Your question might be better answered over in the Maryland forum.

portroyalbirdy

Premium Subscriber

AND

-john

Thanks for the info John! I was surprised to hear that the Phase II system is not a "1 Radio Brand System" I'm not knocking it, I like the idea! Lancaster County, PA's P25 Phase I Trunked system is the same way. Different radio brands can be on the system.

portroyalbirdy

Premium Subscriber
I am currently down in Ocean City right now, as today, (8/23/19) as of 10:57AM, there is a lot of activity on the Ocean City Fire 1 P25 Talkgroup. Mostly radio checks and such.

Status
Not open for further replies.