Ocean County Pager Tones

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joseph11

I have some tones for the county, but I will NOT post them. Someone could build a transmitter and set off the pagers, wreaking havoc if there is a real fire or medical emergency. If you really need them, find them out yourself. I was told this happened in Northern Monmouth County, and I do not want it to happen in Ocean County.

elias1988

Feed Provider
Joseph11 said:
I have some tones for the county, but I will NOT post them. Someone could build a transmitter and set off the pagers, wreaking havoc if there is a real fire or medical emergency. If you really need them, find them out yourself. I was told this happened in Northern Monmouth County, and I do not want it to happen in Ocean County.

Good thinking Joseph.

elias1988

Feed Provider
Joseph11 said:
elias1988 said:
Good thinking Joseph.

Thanks, I don't want the county to switch to alpha paging. That'll be toture to monitor.

Yeah it probably would be toture, but i wouldn't mind having a alpha pager from my fire department.

Joseph11

elias1988 said:
Yeah it probably would be toture, but i wouldn't mind having a alpha pager from my fire department.

They'll probably change, but not any time soon.

Joseph11

Thanks. I'd feel terrible if someone tones-out a Fire Company or EMS Squad without permission.

pro92b

Mutated Member
Premium Subscriber
I'd feel terrible if someone tones-out a Fire Company or EMS Squad without permission.

Publishing the tones will not make any difference. Someone could just record a tone-out off the air and retransmit it any time. They wouldn't even have to know the tone frequencies to do that.

elias1988

Feed Provider
pro92b said:
Publishing the tones will not make any difference. Someone could just record a tone-out off the air and retransmit it any time. They wouldn't even have to know the tone frequencies to do that.

Either way it would do alot of damage to a fire department or first aid squad.

pro92b

Mutated Member
Premium Subscriber
Either way it would do alot of damage to a fire department or first aid squad.
No argument there. My only point is that keeping a tone list confidential will not stop someone who wants to cause this kind of disruption. The ability to make a computer record audio tones has existed for many years so the threat is not new.

Joseph11

pro92b said:
No argument there. My only point is that keeping a tone list confidential will not stop someone who wants to cause this kind of disruption. The ability to make a computer record audio tones has existed for many years so the threat is not new.

I know that, but publishing a list only makes it eaiser. You do have a good argument there, though.

JMR3865

Premium Subscriber
I definetly agree with the tones being confidential, but how about with the new scanner that just came out. What can we do?

elias1988

Feed Provider
JMR3865 said:
I definetly agree with the tones being confidential, but how about with the new scanner that just came out. What can we do?

Its tough, how was Uniden allowed to have this fire tone out feature on the scanner :?:

Tech792

I think you're all making a big deal out of this pager tone subject.

When you think about it, PL (CTCSS) info is more damaging. With PL, you could lock up a police or fire repeater for days. Or step on units trying to transmit. Its rarely done but usually the people get cuaght.

With paging tones, transmitting from your HT or mobile radio, you're only going to set off pagers within a few miles. What "kick" does the person doing this get out of it? Nothing. There is no end satisfaction.

With the introduction of this new Uniden scanner, I'm sure you'll see "paging tone databases" pop up on the net or else where.

Like some one said above, if they really want to do it, they'll do it. Record it off the air and retransmit it. Knowing the actual tone frequencies is a pointless subject.

Just my 2 cents

hulka

I would disagree with setting off pagers for a "few miles". If they are dispatched on a simplex channel and you are using a portable radio then yes a few miles. A mobile, well if it is a 110 watt radio, then your few miles just became a lot bigger. If they are on a repeater for dispatching then you could do the whole town off a portable radio. As for getting the tones, there is a lot to get out there. If you are that intrested in a certain towns Fire or EMS calls, then you should just go there and join. You will hear all the calls then!

Tech792

Good point Hulka. You're right. A repeater would go beyond a few miles. Didn't even think of that. I was thinking of my own town's setup.

Tech792

Status
Not open for further replies.