Oceanic Waypoints

Status
Not open for further replies.

GB46

Is there a good source of information about named waypoints for flights over the Pacific Ocean? I've seen some websites where one can look up the coordinates of waypoints with five-letter names, but what I'd really like is a list, regardless of how large, that I can download and use offline while monitoring oceanic flights, especially those over the Pacific. Even under good band conditions, aircraft following the Atlantic routes are usually weak and unreadable here in British Columbia, at least at my location, presumably because of all our mountain ranges.

I have a printout of a waypoint list that I downloaded over 16 years ago. I don't remember where I found it, but it's probably outdated now, and the Pacific routes were not included, anyway.

AirScan

GB46

Thanks, folks, for all that useful information and the quick response!

@AirScan: SkyVector came very close, but it's only usable online.

@BM82557: That's much better. I just downloaded those charts, and despite the fact that I have no experience in reading aeronautical charts, I can at least see the named waypoints and their coordinates, which is all I really wanted. Now if the pilot says he was over MANRE at 1600Z, I can interpret that as 15° 55' North, 171° 33' West at 1600 UTC.

The old list that I referred to earlier, which only contains the Atlantic routes, is just a table with two columns - one for the waypoint names in alphabetical order, and the other for the corresponding coordinates. I'm not sure if I downloaded it that way, or converted it to a spreadsheet. All I have of it now is the printout, but as I mentioned, I have no idea where I got it. At that time I was living in Saskatchewan. Since we were 1900 feet above sea level and the terrain was very flat, reception was great in all directions. Now I'm in a valley and blocked to the east, so that I rarely hear Atlantic aeronautical communications. When I do, I can't hear the flights, only the ground stations in New York or Gander.

Status
Not open for further replies.