Oceanside PD Cars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
OPD is working a Chula Vista PD motor officer down 11-83. At least four times over the past 15 minutes units have asked other units to go to "Cars", but there is no traffic on their Cars talkgroup, encrypted or otherwise. I am pretty sure they are not referring to one of the simplex RCS Cars ABCD etc frequencies, because OPD has always called their Cars talkgroup "Cars", just as Escondido does.

Anyone got any idea whuz-up? :-\

Paul

Mike_G_D

Hmm! Interesting! I am using a new radio wherein I am looking at all displayed talkgroups for both the West and North NextGen sites and filling in what pops up according to the RR database. So far, have found two unencrypted that do not seem to exist in the database: decimal 131 and decimal 2998.

Other than those, I see a lot of encrypted talk groups that are either unlisted or I just haven't bothered to label (I emphasize the unencrypted, of course, in labeling efforts).

This radio works really well for this! This is the P25RX I mentioned to you.

Sounds like I need to spend some time labeling the encrypted talk groups to weed out the unlisted outliers. Maybe a new OCS Cars channel that may indeed be encrypted exists now.

Update: I just checked the logs and I see that the "normal" Oceanside PD Cars (decimal 2412) was labeled by me at some point recently which means I did "hear" it unencrypted at some point within the last week or so. On the other hand, looking through today's logs which go back to just before 6AM, I see no use of OCS PD Cars OR CBD PD Tac 1 (which, as I recall, was what CBD PD used in a similar way Oceanside used their Cars channel). In fact, I don't recall hearing much tac traffic on either of those agencies recently. There may, indeed, be a general systemwide switch to using encrypted tac and car-to-car channels at least for LE. I really need to label all of those logged encrypted talk groups.

-Mike

Last edited:

Mike_G_D

Aaannnd...have been hearing CBD TAC 1 in the clear for awhile now working an incident on the beach sooo...that's still "good".

SDBud

Hmm! Interesting! I am using a new radio wherein I am looking at all displayed talkgroups for both the West and North NextGen sites and filling in what pops up according to the RR database. So far, have found two unencrypted that do not seem to exist in the database: decimal 131 and decimal 2998.

131 is smack in the middle of the SDG&E allocations, just in case.

And I THINK I remember getting 2998 as one of the VA PD TGs a while back,
when they first went onto NG..

P25Radio

Premium Subscriber
I hear OPD cars all the time in the clear In fact they were just talking a moment ago. Wait till they go to cars 4, no one knows about this one. I did a ride along with a buddy of mine and he told me about it and it is not listed in the DB. Bet it will not be either. Sure OPD radio tecs know.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
I wonder if they are just affiliating off the North and not the West every time I am trying to hear them?

Paul

Mike_G_D

Interesting!

I haven't heard much on OCS Cars recently myself. I regularly monitor both the West and North systems. But that's usually while I am working. With the hardware and software that I now regularly use, I see a running list of active talkgroups on a screen to my left. But still I forget to check. It's a sort of short-term log that seems to reset every morning but I'm not sure (still learning the operation). If there is a long term archive log I don't know where it resides or how to activate it yet. That would really help in this case.

But otherwise, I am liking this receiver (thread here: P25RX P25 Phase 1 Receiver With Bluetooth Audio Support) more and more as I use it. It's pretty easy to track talk groups and catch unknown ones and the audio is very good. Does have some warts, of course, and I can see that the software could use some added features to make it more attractive to this crowd. The developer is currently concentrating on DMR and P2 capability which is what I think he should be concentrating on. Sorry for the OT stuff but I feel I have to mention it - this radio needs to be better known, I think. It's turned into my main RCS NextGen monitor radio now which is saying something.

-Mike

mikeyp

ocp cars works on northeast cell in the clear i am using my 996xt and get ok also sheriff tac channels in the clear also

inigo88

California DB Admin
Database Admin
I wonder if they are just affiliating off the North and not the West every time I am trying to hear them?

I’m thinking this is the most likely answer. If you are hearing dispatch 1 on west it’s because there are some units far enough south in town that they are affiliating on the west cell. But as you know if the two units switching to CARS are only on the north cell, it won’t get carried on west.

Status
Not open for further replies.