OCF Dipole antenna question

Status
Not open for further replies.

warnberg

Premium Subscriber
Hi all... I have a question, I've been looking all over the internet and can't seem to find an answer. I'm looking for a multi-band HF antenna for my new RIG coming (Kenwood TS-590S), specifically I am looking at the buckmaster OCF Dipole 4 band or 7 band antenna, but here is the issue. I live in a HOA neighborhood so the antenna has to go in the attic. Now if I go with the 4 band the short leg of the antenna will be straight (no turns or bends) the long leg will. If I go with the 7 band both legs will have a bend or possibly two bends.

Here comes the questions:

1) are the bends going to make the antenna useless? (assume no grater then a 90 degree turn any time)
2) how do I support the bends? i.e. if the end of the antenna is turned 90 degrees (L shape) how do I support that bend?
3) do I have to be concerned with the antenna getting hot enough to melt the support material (fishing line, para-shoot cord, etc...) and/or starting a fire (assuming 100 watts max output here)
4) are there other options I should be looking at?

Thanks all

Dave
KK4QOE

WB4CS

Aren't HOA's great? :) I will never live in one, but I got my ham ticket before I was old enough to move out of my parents house. It sucks for new hams that don't have that choice. But that's not info you're asking about...

Agreed with K3CFC, those bends will create a higher SWR. It might also introduce some RFI issues in your home or "RF in the shack."

Do you have any way to install it stealthily outside? Wire antennas can be hid quite well. Another option would be to go with a ground mounted vertical antenna. There are a few out there that look like flag poles and you could even put a flag on the top to further disguise the antenna. Another option would be to talk to your HOA board and see if you can get a waiver for a simple outdoor antenna. If you sell it to them from the aspect of emergency communications you might convince them.

I have read over this but the more I read the more confused I get..

Antenna Notes

any suggestions?

You may want to pick up this book for ideas on low profile outdoor antennas.

Last edited:

warnberg

Premium Subscriber
there is always the possibility of running a wire antenna down the side of the house, not sure how well that would do as it would be only about 9 feet off the ground and within a few inches of the soffet which is made of painted aluminum but I could get about 60ish feet of wire there... another option, if possible, is to use the Aluminum pool cage somehow??? I'm open to suggestions guys as to how others have tackled this dilemma..

thanks

WB4CS

Another option might be to go with this loop antenna. It's twice the price of the Buckmaster, but the eham reviews seem promising. You could probably build one for cheaper, I've seen schematics online.

I've known a few hams that used a rotatable dipole on a 20 ft mast that could easily come down to the ground when not in use. As long as they operated during the evening/night, no one even knew they had an antenna outside.

Running the wire down the side of the house would probably work, but the soffit would probably effect your SWR a little bit. Again, not an ideal antenna but you work with what you have.

I've been in an apartment for the past 8 years and have been off of the HF bands for that long because I didn't think it would be possible to get on the air from an apartment. However, there are a lot of options for stealthy antennas so now I wish I hadn't sold my HF equipment! Granted, the stealth antennas are a compromise on performance but at least you're on the air :)

warnberg

Premium Subscriber
k3cfc, looking over that emergency antenna now.. looks promising as well... you think the internal antenna tuner would on the TS-590S work well with that?

Dave
KK4QOE

k3cfc

Silent Key
k3cfc, looking over that emergency antenna now.. looks promising as well... you think the internal antenna tuner would on the TS-590S work well with that?

Dave
KK4QOE

The second one is for 2 meter 440. you should be able to get the parts fron your local hardware store. the only thing you must follow the instructions to the letter as it will work well for ya. i built both and the emr 20 meter works great and it can be hung out a window. your going to have fun just don't get frustrated ask for help and be sure it's from a ham and not from a chicken bander.

Good luck

K3CFC

k3cfc

Silent Key

Dave
KK4QOE

If you build it as per instructions you won't need a tuner. read the article again.

Have fun.

K3CFC

AC2OY

Your welcome Hams help and share with other hams I was told that so I try to do the same. I have been contiplating about antennas for a while as well I got extra and want to get a base radio and take at crack at HF so I have been doing a lot of research on this topic.

NT1K

Thanks for linking to my site. For HOA I am not sure if that antenna would "Blend In" and go un-noticed by the neighbors or the HOA. All depends on how strict the HOA is.

If they are really strict, He might be able to get away with a vent pipe antenna.
Untitled

As for HF I would go with a MAG loop similar to the following
MØUKD - Magnetic Loop Antenna

I wouldn't be pushing a 100W through it while sitting next to it but if you can remote tune it and could get the antenna into a attic or crawl space then I would give it a shot. I am in the process of making a mag loop for portable operations

Ty,
NT1K

k3cfc

Silent Key
The open stub j-pole can be used in an attic with good results. and he could build a 20 and a 40 meter vertical hang them out a or two windows Upside down put an AMERICAN flag between them and who would know. IF THERE'S A WILL THERE ALWAYS WILL BE A WAY. besides hang them at night who will see them. I am a true believer in live and let live.

Good luck and have fun.

K3CFC

LtDoc

1) are the bends going to make the antenna useless? (assume no grater then a 90 degree turn any time)
Can those 'bends' make a difference? Sure. In general, meaning that there's a lot of variations in it, keeping bends less than 90 degrees is a good idea. I won't even try to guess what the results would be, but they generally won't be optimal.

2) how do I support the bends? i.e. if the end of the antenna is turned 90 degrees (L shape) how do I support that bend?
Most people just tie the thing off however they can. That can get as 'odd' as you want/don't want, just a matter of what/how you can do it.

3) do I have to be concerned with the antenna getting hot enough to melt the support material (fishing line, para-shoot cord, etc...) and/or starting a fire (assuming 100 watts max output here)
I seriously doubt if a 100 watts is going to heat anything up enough to cause a fire or melting something.
4) are there other options I should be looking at?
I think it's a fairly normal thing to take a look at any options you can think of, or that anyone can point out to you. Who knows, 'they' may have a good idea!

A multiband antenna is always a compromise in some way. If that 'way' isn't a particular problem for you, then it's not a 'biggy', right? I once had an antenna that I could 'make' work on all bands except 15 meters. Since I didn't 'do' 15 meters much anyway, it wasn't a 'biggy' for me. If I'd really wanted that 15 meter capability then I'd have 'changed' things till it did work. No, it wasn't optimal on all bands but it was 'workable'/'adequate'.
Have fun.
- 'Doc

If it wasn't designed to do well on a particular band then you can't expect it to 'do' well. 'Adequate' is certainly better than nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.