Ocso

Status
Not open for further replies.

mhzscan

Hello to those in Orange County, next week ill be taking a couple of trips to the Orlando Int Airport Area. I'll be coming from south Brevard via 192 up through Oceola and then returning to Cocoa via the Bee Line. I see that in the RR db for the Orange County TRS, there are 8 sites. I assume these are not simulcast. So should I be fine by using only site 1? I'm not familiar with the Orlando area, but I take that Zellwood, Winter Park, Winter Garden, and Maitland are in the north section of the county. I dont need the Jail site nor the convention site. Would I be OK by setting up my bc346XT with all 8 sites with one QSK and let the scanner pick up the best site? I was thinking of just using Site 1 and omitting (locking) the rest of the of the other sites. Can someone familiar with this system tell me when and when not to use these sites? Again I'm not very familiar with the area so I really don't know what the best layout would be for my 346XT.

From what I've seen in the OSCO website, Sector 2 talkgroups would be the ones needed for the areas that I'm covering, correct? Also is the PSAP Talkgroup frequently used (4656)? I've heard that multiple counties (PSAP in particular) have been issued radios for this system and use this TG to communicate with each other. Is there any truth to that?

I know it's a lot of questions, but I'm hopeful one of you will be able to provide some insight to my questions. Thanks!

Last edited:

TEH

Orange Co SmartZone

Hello MHzScan,

I live in Seminole County, and do lots of scanning of the systems in the area. You should be able to monitor Orange Co by just programming the 28 frequencies for the main system. The others are subsystems of the main system.
Orlando, Maitland, Winter Park, the Orange Co Jail, and the Orange Co Convention Center have separate trunk systems with their own talkgroups. However, Orange Sheriff and FD radios (and some others) will affiliate with (log onto) one of the subsystems when the radio is in the coverage area of one of the subsystems, with a stronger signal than the Orange Co Main System has at that location.
Thus, if you did a talkgroup search on the subsystems, you'll hear Orange Co units on them.
Also, the primary talkgroups for the subsystems, such as Winter Park, Maitland, and the Jail are simulcast on the Orange Co Main System. The additional talkgroups for the subsystems are generally not simulcast, and are heard only on their respective trunk sites.
You have a similar situation in Brevard, in which the sheriff primary patrol talkgroups are simulcast on all 4 trunk systems.
Hope this info is helpful

mhzscan

TEH, Should I be OK programming only the 4 CC's? Also is the OIA PD TG encrypted? I was under the impression that only Orlando PD was encrypted? Thanks

n2hbx

Premium Subscriber
OIA PD is Orlando PD Airport Division, so the answer is, yes, they are encrypted also.

Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.