Odd Behavior - SDS200 Goes Deaf On External Speaker When Plugging in USB Cable

vannossc

Premium Subscriber
I have a BHI external noise-cancelling speaker plugged into my SDS200. Works perfectly until I plug in the USB cable connected to my PC (fanless Kamrui) in order to run ProScan. As soon as the outer metal edge touches the outer connecter (not inserted yet!) the external speaker goes deaf. Remove it - works fine. If I unplug the speaker, the internal speaker works just fine with the USB cable plugged or unplugged..

Not optimal as I'd like to leave both plugged in at the same time.

Thanks for any insights,

Scott

tvengr

Well Known Member
The audio output jack floats on the SDS200. It is not corrected to ground. When you touch the USB cable, you are shorting out the audio output. The Uniden BC23A external amplified speaker has an audio isolation transformer built in to avoid problems like that. Your speaker should have a stereo plug. A mono plug shorts out half of the audio amp in the scanner and can damage the amp. It is a balanced output on the scanner using the tip and ring connections.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
The audio output jack floats on the SDS200. It is not corrected to ground. When you touch the USB cable, you are shorting out the audio output. The Uniden BC23A external amplified speaker has an audio isolation transformer built in to avoid problems like that. Your speaker should have a stereo plug. A mono plug shorts out half of the audio amp in the scanner and can damage the amp. It is a balanced output on the scanner using the tip and ring connections.
All my external speakers have a monaural plug and I have them connected to both of my SDS200's, and using USB cables have no problem of any kind.

vannossc

Premium Subscriber
Tried it just now - does not work on the rear jack at all. Works on the front jack but pops like crazy. Nothing good so far. This BHI speaker works good but not worth the trouble it seems.

tvengr

Well Known Member
his BHI speaker works good but not worth the trouble it seems.
Try the Uniden BC23A speaker. It also has noise reduction (switchable in and out) and a volume control. It has a stereo plug to avoid shorting the output. It also has a built-in isolation transformer. You do not need any isolators. It plugs directly into the external speaker output jack of the scanner. (Note: The BC23A uses only the tip and sleeve connections on the plug).

Trucker700

Try the Uniden BC23A speaker. It also has noise reduction (switchable in and out) and a volume control. It has a stereo plug to avoid shorting the output. It also has a built-in isolation transformer. You do not need any isolators. It plugs directly into the external speaker output jack of the scanner. (Note: The BC23A uses only the tip and sleeve connections on the plug).
I used the BC23A with my SDS100 in an 18 wheeler for several years. Worked great. The internal speaker in the SDS100 just didn't have the power to overcome the noise from the Cat diesel engine. The powered Uniden speaker made a huge difference.
James

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
I am running an SDS-100 powered from USB / cigarette lighter adapter and connected to powered speaker w/o issues. It does matter where power comes from for the radio and the speaker.

vannossc

Premium Subscriber
I have an Yaesu FP-1023A power supply attached to a West Mountain power pole distribution box. Power to the scanner and speaker come from that supply - no wall warts involved. The power supply is grounded to a copper grounding bar station which is grounded to ground (8ft copper grounding bar).

I wonder if I made my own problem now...ground loop