Odd CSP Cruiser

Status
Not open for further replies.

sefrischling

Public Information Officer
This afternoon I was headed north on 395, south of the CSP barracks and ended up behind an odd CSP cruiser. The cruiser has a very long low band whip on the Crown Vic trunk, the roof had well over half-a-dozen antennas, that looked unlike any antennas I have seen on any CSP cruisers, and more than any other CSP cruiser I have seen. Along the lip of trunk were another three antennas. None of the antennas were low profile and only one appeared to be 800mhz.

Anyone have guess on what the hell that was all about?

joetnymedic

Feed Provider
What color was the "cruiser"? To be honest CSP is pretty uniform color wise now so I'd be willing to bet what you saw as something someone bought. But then again, I could be wrong

sefrischling

Joe,

It was a silver Vic, same as most CSP cruisers, with UTZ plates and a light bar on the roof that said "State Police," with a uniformed trooper driving it. I am fairly certain that what I saw was a Connecticut State Police cruiser.

joetnymedic

Feed Provider
Not trying to say you don't know the cars. As many knows most of the cars are silver/gray now and the plate says it all. But we both know how many Vics are out there that get mistaken. Myself and 3 others I know own former units from various departments and while many of us use the cars legit, many spark out the cars. That's why I questioned it. In addition, my son actually spotted a white vic parked on 95 at exit 31 the other day (Surf Ave) at the top of the ramp and as most are aware CSP got rid of their white cars awhile ago

w1haf

Sounds like you may have seen one of the cars with the Low-Jack antennas and he may be or have been a resident State Trooper and had antennas for a low band town radio. He might also be on Truck Squad officer they usually have CB radios to monitor the truckers.

sefrischling

w1haf

I was behind the cruiser from Rt 85 almost to the barracks when I finally passed them , out of curiosity. These were varying length antennas on the roof, not the standard lojack antennas or the pattern of the lojack antennas. It was like an antenna farm up top, then with the three antennas on the lip of the trunk and the long whip. The whip looked low band, not CB.

I thought maybe a CSP radio tech, but they don't have a light bar and aren't uniformed.

w1haf

Hmmmm very interesting. Could have been the Radio Police?? Lol. I will have to keep an eye out for that car.

izzyj4

Premium Subscriber
Did it pull into troop E on 395 or did you get that far? I drive 395 a lot and never had seen this set up. Could be an area resident trooper with a local low band antenna.

mbnv992

A very few have the long lo-band whip off the trunk, and the antennas you saw on the roof were lo-jack, and the 800MHZ antenna. Most just usually have the big disk on the trunk, the 800MHZ antenna on the roof, and the power box the lightbar plugs into.

Most of the silver vics have plates with UTZ or WWL, but I have seen a few that were other combinations as well.

sefrischling

mbnv992

The antennas on the roof were not what you typically see on LoJack, in terms of lengths, as all the antennas were varying lengths, and not in the standard 4-square pattern used by LoJack antennas. There were also more than four antennas. There was no disk, the 800mhz was the short whip on the trunk lid, next to what appeared to be two UHF basic whips. Punched into the trunk was the low band. As I previously said, the plate was UTZ.

PJH

Premium Subscriber
None of the CVPI's in the last 5+ years fielded were installed with the old lowband antenna. Once the CSP 800 system was accepted and the multicast lowband side was turned off, no new installations of of lowband equipment were installed.

Exceptions are VHF and rare lowband radios that are used in resident state trooper towns that have constables on lowband or another radio frequency.

Troopers are free to install other radios/scanners etc as long as it does not interface or interfere with CSP installed equipment/power distribution.

LoJack installations are also pretty rare these days but some of the traffic squad guys do/did have them.

I can only think that its a test car of some sort or personal equipment. Last I looked at the general orders, I don't believe drilling of the car exterior was permitted.

Standard equipment is an 800MHz antenna, the combo GPS/wifi/data modem antenna. There also was an antenna for the body mic as well back to the car which was usually on the back deck window.

sefrischling

PJH,

I am wondering if it was a cruiser set up for some radio testing , as it is unlike any cruiser I have ever seen in the fleet.

I know my town's resident trooper also has a VHF antenna on his cruiser, but not a farm on the roof and four extra antennas on the trunk.

PJH

Premium Subscriber
Neg. They don't set up line cars for such testing. It is done by Motorola proper and CTS.

PJH,

I am wondering if it was a cruiser set up for some radio testing , as it is unlike any cruiser I have ever seen in the fleet.

I know my town's resident trooper also has a VHF antenna on his cruiser, but not a farm on the roof and four extra antennas on the trunk.

mbnv992

PJ -
Kinda Off Topic, but any feedback on how the Troopers like the new Taurus ( AKA "Police Interceptor Sedan" ) ? When are they going to phase out all the 2011 CVPI's ? I'm starting to see more and more Taurusceptors floating around now.

Harryjr

Premium Subscriber
The State Wide comm frequency the last few weeks sounds like they are turning in the old cars and initializing the radios in the new ones. So I imagine you'll see a lot more of the new ones soon.

PJH

Premium Subscriber
Before Ford ended the CVPI, CT bought a ton of them. As they go thru normal replacement, you will see more. The just don't throw the old modles out out as new ones arrive.. :)

sefrischling

Asked a local Trooper who now has the Taurus, he is a big guy. Says he has the seat all the way back and feels a bit cramped, otherwise he is not unhappy with his new cruiser.

Local CSP K-9 still has a Vic and is awaiting a new truck in the coming months.

sefrischling

Saw it again yesterday on Main Street in Niantic, driving west as I headed east. Uniformed trooper and UTZ plates ... if I didn't have three kids in the car and an appointment I'd have swung around to see if they pulled over so I could go take a look.

I am so damn curious!

Status
Not open for further replies.