Odd man (battery) out

Status
Not open for further replies.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
How much capacity the tester determines the battery has (the first number). In the case of the first battery, a 2500 mAH rated battery that only accepts 127 mAH...has only 5% of the rated value. Put butter and jam on it...

lawman210

Haha been a long time since I had butter and Jam on toast. Sou X's good. Maybe some cinnamon. Ty for your help

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

wtp

problem

i don't think you understood my post your battery would not be conditioned in 16 minutes that is how long it took to charge the battery. it would still be good.
the setting to test them takes a very long time, like a day and a half
you want to put the battery in and go to refresh/analyze and after like 36 hours it will hae gone through cycles and tell you when it is done and the rating of the battery
so no jam for you

lawman210

That was the refresh/analyze mode. It took over a day for the cycle to complete all 3 batteries. What confuses me is the ending voltage. Is that what the capacity of the battery? If so the charger is showing the battery holding a charge? Gonna read the manual again and also put a meter on the battery and see what they say

lawman210

I am I have a few that aren't even getting through the first few minutes of the refresh and analyze and are registering high

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
Dedicate to two extra batteries to another use, such as a flashlight. Or mark the batteries to more easily keep track of your charging order.

Ok just pulled batteries out of 436. Then I just thought: Since its not really recommended to charge batteries in scanner and for the fact that if you want to listen to it for more then 10 hours with 14 hours off to charge you will need to charge batteries externally as we have talked about. Then I realized it's 3 batteries and you have to charge in evens. So what do when having to charge 3? Rotate out one extra battery? With 4th battery and no down time seems you will need 8 batteries and a complicated system to rotate batteries so each one gets used the same. Or do you just have 2 batteries that aren't as good that you throw it as sacrifices?

rbm

This charger is hard to beat for the price.

Rich

A good value:

For Ni-Cd, Ni-MH, OR Li-ion batteries!

Intellicharge i4 Charger - $24.99
· Capable of charging up to 4 batteries simultaneously

· Each of the four battery slots monitors and charges independently

· Automatically identifies Li-ion, Ni-MH and Ni-Cd rechargeable batteries

Compatible with:
Li-ion: 26650, 22650, 18650, 17670, 18490, 17500, 17335, 16340(RCR123), 14500, 10440

Ni-MH / Ni-Cd: AA, AAA, C

Amazon.com: JETBeam IntelliCharger i4 PRO Charger V3 - 3rd Generation - 2013 Enhanced Version (Black): Sports & Outdoors
or
Intellicharge i4 Charger
or
On Ebay - $20.94 /free shipping.
Includes AC and DC power cords
New Nitecore I4 V2 Intellicharge Charger for NiMH NiCd Li ion w Car Charger | eBay

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
No, ending voltage has no relationship to capacity. Capacity is rated in mAH, and is the first number of the 3 you listed. If the number is dramatically below the rated capacity, take them to your nearest recycling center for proper disposal. www.rbrc.com

lawman210

Got it. So ideally I want all three batteries to show as close to each other and as close to the battery rating on that 1rst number. Matching batteries? If I don't know the current charge of the battery what's the best setting to use with the charger? If the battery was say only depleted say 5% from sitting a month without use will the charger only top it off showing that it only charged it for a few minutes that it required to do so?

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Rapid chargers with intelligent cutoff (like the Maha chargers) will detect when the battery is full and automatically terminate charging, regardless of the initial charge state. But, repeatedly "topping off" an already charged battery increases the risk of missed-full detection.

Ed6698

First results of an analyze and refresh on my new Maha charger with some 2500mah batteries that I was getting ready to trash due to having charging errors on my energizer charger.
Battery 1. 127 Mah, 16 mins, 1.41 volts
Battery 2. 2333 mah, 156 mins, 1.43 volts
Battery 3. 675 mah, 46 mins, 1.31 volts.
Not sure really how to interpret the data

Those are some either really bad batteries or something. For a analyze and refresh, if the batteries are good, numbers should be almost all identical. those numbers look like from a charge cycle on batteries not discharged equally.

Ed6698

lawman,

Here is how I use my batteries in my Maha. When the batteries are new from package, I put them in charger and run a discharge cycle at the lowest discharge setting. Then I let them rest a hour or so, then I run the "break in" cycle, this can take up to 36 hours I believe and a reason why I bought a 2nd one. After that I use them normally, I have read some say to "cycle" them a few rounds after break in. I just use them, after about 4 to 5 charge cycles and use in scanner they should be running at peak performance. I would not mess with questionable batteries.

lawman210

Yeah I think I will check them. I have had them for a while. Been looking to buy some new ones. Members have been posting about batteries and I just recently bought 6 duracell 240 mah with a new duracell charger I actually got it free because I had enough points from a retailer from previous purchases. Then the day after I read about the Maha charger which included 4 2700 mah. I might just order another few sets of the Maha ones when I order a 9 volt charger. The xx batteries look good too. I think I will retire my 30+ energizer 2500 mah to less important things like my motion lights around the house. Who needs to see! Lol

lawman210

If I were to invest in say 12 more batteries would you go with the enveloop xx or the new duracell 2400, energizer 2500 or the power ex or power ex imedion? Which is more bang for the buck. I have been fairly satisfied with energizer but I have those light angel motion detection lights and they seem to only last maybe a week or less of use.

nanZor

lawman210 - some notes on your new charger...

To do an actual capacity test, you fully charge the battery and then *discharge* at the industry standard C/10 rate until the Maha stops and displays the current discharged into the internal dummy load. It will typically stop at 0.9v, so you don't need to worry about this test killing the battery by draining it completely.

Many make the mistake of trying to determine capacity by how much was used during charging. It is the *discharge* test that will tell you the capacity.

To see if a Sanyo Eneloop's capacity is actually at it's 2000mah rating -- Let the Maha charge it fully, and then do a discharge at C/10, or 200ma and let it do it's thing. You can do 4 at a time obviously, and it will take some time. This is how battery manufacturers rate their batteries at the C/10 rate. Accordingly, for a 2400mah battery, you would fully charge, and then discharge at 240ma. (or as close as the maha would allow - 200 or 300ma discharge is close enough).

Battery fanatics that purchase large amounts of batteries at a time even prefer to keep their scanner batteries in "packs", with capacities very close to each other and the Maha makes this easy.

You can also use the Maha's capacity check to see how well other chargers charge the battery! Fully charge in the other charger. Pull them and place them in the Maha for a standard C/10 discharge and compare the capacity to what the Maha is capable of charging the battery to previously.

There is no point in trying to revive decrepid old abused batteries. While the Maha will do it's best to charge ancient batteries, you may never get the full capacity they once had. Once a battery only delivers about 80% of it's capacity (as checked with the discharge test above!), recycle them and get new ones.

Trying to keep abused "zombie" batteries in use was a fad from the 80's. :)

Eneloops - make sure you are getting relatively new stock, not the originals from a decade ago. These new ones have a small golden crown on the wrapping. In regards to the Eneloop 2500's, yes they are good, but there is no free lunch, as they have less cycle capability than the standard 2000mah eneloops. So you have to choose which is more important to you.

Don't get too hung up on battery marketing - quality cells like Eneloop, Imedions, and the like will quickly prove themselves. Of course, avoid online deals too good to be true or you may end up with counterfeits - another thing the Maha can usually quickly identify.

Remember that the Maha will tell you the internal IMPEDANCE of a cell as described earlier. Maha checks this, and will kick out batteries that are abused, too old, etc that have high resistance (about >2.2 initial impedance check). Unlike other chargers that may just kick them out, Maha gives you an actual value - but it does so only once upon insertion of the battery, and thereafter reads the voltage. This feature will also quickly identify batteries that get rave reviews in online forums, only to be quickly identified as bunk by the Maha. :)

You chose a great unit.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ed6698

If I were to invest in say 12 more batteries would you go with the enveloop xx or the new duracell 2400, energizer 2500 or the power ex or power ex imedion? Which is more bang for the buck. I have been fairly satisfied with energizer but I have those light angel motion detection lights and they seem to only last maybe a week or less of use.

It is hard to recommend batteries when I do not have those particular ones, I have Duracell 2000mah, Energizer 2300mah. I do like the Eneloop xx.

lawman210

lawman210 - some notes on your new charger...

To do an actual capacity test, you fully charge the battery and then *discharge* at the industry standard C/10 rate until the Maha stops and displays the current discharged into the internal dummy load. It will typically stop at 0.9v, so you don't need to worry about this test killing the battery by draining it completely.

Many make the mistake of trying to determine capacity by how much was used during charging. It is the *discharge* test that will tell you the capacity.

To see if a Sanyo Eneloop's capacity is actually at it's 2000mah rating -- Let the Maha charge it fully, and then do a discharge at C/10, or 200ma and let it do it's thing. You can do 4 at a time obviously, and it will take some time. This is how battery manufacturers rate their batteries at the C/10 rate. Accordingly, for a 2400mah battery, you would fully charge, and then discharge at 240ma. (or as close as the maha would allow - 200 or 300ma discharge is close enough).

Battery fanatics that purchase large amounts of batteries at a time even prefer to keep their scanner batteries in "packs", with capacities very close to each other and the Maha makes this easy.

You can also use the Maha's capacity check to see how well other chargers charge the battery! Fully charge in the other charger. Pull them and place them in the Maha for a standard C/10 discharge and compare the capacity to what the Maha is capable of charging the battery to previously.

There is no point in trying to revive decrepid old abused batteries. While the Maha will do it's best to charge ancient batteries, you may never get the full capacity they once had. Once a battery only delivers about 80% of it's capacity (as checked with the discharge test above!), recycle them and get new ones.

Trying to keep abused "zombie" batteries in use was a fad from the 80's. :)

Eneloops - make sure you are getting relatively new stock, not the originals from a decade ago. These new ones have a small golden crown on the wrapping. In regards to the Eneloop 2500's, yes they are good, but there is no free lunch, as they have less cycle capability than the standard 2000mah eneloops. So you have to choose which is more important to you.

Don't get too hung up on battery marketing - quality cells like Eneloop, Imedions, and the like will quickly prove themselves. Of course, avoid online deals too good to be true or you may end up with counterfeits - another thing the Maha can usually quickly identify.

Remember that the Maha will tell you the internal IMPEDANCE of a cell as described earlier. Maha checks this, and will kick out batteries that are abused, too old, etc that have high resistance (about >2.2 initial impedance check). Unlike other chargers that may just kick them out, Maha gives you an actual value - but it does so only once upon insertion of the battery, and thereafter reads the voltage. This feature will also quickly identify batteries that get rave reviews in online forums, only to be quickly identified as bunk by the Maha. :)

You chose a great unit.

Excellent post. Ty. Yeah I just texted the original batteries that started this thread off and it was confusing as knowledgeable people have told me that the last value 1.4x volts have nothing to do with what the battery capacity is and that the first number xx mah is what determines if the battery is any good. When I but the battery on a meter they were reading pretty close to the final volt value ie 1.4v. I can now understand that the discharge test would be the best way to determine the capacity of the battery as it measures how much power was discharged to the charger. I guess the charger would be considered the scanner or whatever the battery is powering. If it only shows 500mah discharged and the battery is a 2500 mah and was recently charged then I can be assured that this battery is done. The battery if rated to supply a scanner with 8 hours @ 2500 mah then if all 3 batteries or maybe even if 1 battery (weekest link) would give you 1/5 the time or 1.5 hours of use. The 2 batteries that read "high" were showing 1.2 volts on my meter. I'm going to run them through a discharge and see what the unit measures. So best discharge is 10% of rated capacity?

Status
Not open for further replies.