BCD436HP/BCD536HP: OEM (Factory Supplied) Belt Clip Stud on rear of Scanner Housing

Status
Not open for further replies.

K4EET

Chaplain
I don't own a Uniden BCD436HP scanner (sometimes I wish did for mobility) but anyway, the following questions have been asked by inquiring minds that I cannot give an answer to that is supported by facts and real hard data.

QUESTION #1: Has there ever been a period of time and/or certain production run(s) that the Uniden BCD436HP scanner was manufactured with a METAL stud on the rear of the scanner's housing for the belt clip as opposed to the plastic stud that is found on those scanners shipped more recently from say July 2022 onward?

QUESTION #2: Has there ever been a change in the plastic material composition used for the OEM (Factory Supplied) stud on the rear of the scanner's housing if the answer to Question #1 is negative?

QUESTION #3: Is there an aftermarket METAL stud (Uniden or Third-Party) that is form/fit/function identical to the OEM (Factory Supplied) plastic stud on the rear of the scanner's housing if the answer to Question #1 is negative (please provide Internet web addresses to those METAL studs for purchasing)?

In the name of configuration control, I'm going to "guess" that the answer to Questions #1 and #2 are both negative. For Question #3, I could not find an aftermarket stud although the inquiring minds have said that a METAL stud was spotted on the rear of the Uniden BCD436HP scanner's housing. The metal stud was not observed on a leather carry case or similar. The metal stud was on the rear of the scanner itself which prompted these questions in the first place.

Thanks in advance for your all's time and assistance! :) Dave

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
I’ve never seen a metal belt clip assy for the 436 case itself. But if it’s metal you want, go with a leather holster. The plastic post protruding from the scanner is removed when using the hard leather case so the radio can fit. It’s also been my experience that when using the plastic belt clip post as the way to hang your radio on your belt it will eventually break… even if it attaches to a metal belt hanger. The weaker of the two materials is obviously the plastic. I’ve always followed the practice of the commercial radio offerings such as Motorola. They have always used metal due to the abuse they see when worn on a daily basis in the fields of construction, police, fire, etc.

The questions are moot unless you are coming from a historical standpoint of view, where you are trying to piece together a history of modifications the model may have experienced using a timeline. The questions (you are trying to answer) seem to be generated by those with a concern towards protecting their scanners from damage of loss. I suggest advising them to get a hard leather case that has the metal attachments. They are riveted to the leather so there are no loose screws to deal with and the radio case sees no stress because it simply slides into the carry case and is retained by an elastic snap cord that wraps around the antenna… these cases are also tight (at least when new) which further prevents the radio from sliding out of the case if you forget to snap the elastic cord or it gets caught on something and pops off. (This case tightness does not apply to Uniden’s SDS100 hard leather carry case [aftermarket offering thru Scanner Master], as it was designed to allow for air circulation around the rear of the radio.)

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
I don't own a Uniden BCD436HP scanner (sometimes I wish did for mobility) but anyway, the following questions have been asked by inquiring minds that I cannot give an answer to that is supported by facts and real hard data.

QUESTION #1: Has there ever been a period of time and/or certain production run(s) that the Uniden BCD436HP scanner was manufactured with a METAL stud on the rear of the scanner's housing for the belt clip as opposed to the plastic stud that is found on those scanners shipped more recently from say July 2022 onward?

QUESTION #2: Has there ever been a change in the plastic material composition used for the OEM (Factory Supplied) stud on the rear of the scanner's housing if the answer to Question #1 is negative?

QUESTION #3: Is there an aftermarket METAL stud (Uniden or Third-Party) that is form/fit/function identical to the OEM (Factory Supplied) plastic stud on the rear of the scanner's housing if the answer to Question #1 is negative (please provide Internet web addresses to those METAL studs for purchasing)?

In the name of configuration control, I'm going to "guess" that the answer to Questions #1 and #2 are both negative. For Question #3, I could not find an aftermarket stud although the inquiring minds have said that a METAL stud was spotted on the rear of the Uniden BCD436HP scanner's housing. The metal stud was not observed on a leather carry case or similar. The metal stud was on the rear of the scanner itself which prompted these questions in the first place.

Thanks in advance for your all's time and assistance! :) Dave
The 436 always had a plastic belt clip disc as far as I can remember, what it was made out of other than plastic I don't know. The 396 models had metal belt clip discs and you can just swap out one of them on the 436.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
I prefer a good carry case that also protects the entire radio and takes the strain off the radio.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
I bought the nylon carry case from Scanner Master and it has a very sturdy belt clip, it also protects the radio when carried as a portable. In my opinion well worth the money.
Yeah Herb I use the Scanner Master nylon case also, it fits well with the big butt battery, I leave the belt clip disc on the radio and there's plenty of space for the radio to vent heat.

I also enlarged the vent holes up the sides with a pencil. The only issue I had was the plastic window over the screen was rumpled and had a lot of reflection making it difficult to see the screen in some conditions so I just took an Ecto knife and cut the window out. I left the plastic on the keyboard.

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
My apologies - I don't remember exactly where I got it....
(I think directly from Uniden)

I have several SDS100s with metal studs.
I use a mounted Motorola mic clip that is perfect for holding the radio in a mobile environment.

Again, yes at some point there has been metal ones available.
And fairly sure from Uniden....

K4EET

Chaplain
The 436 always had a plastic belt clip disc as far as I can remember, what it was made out of other than plastic I don't know. The 396 models had metal belt clip discs and you can just swap out one of them on the 436.
This is the kind of information that I was wanting to hear. Thanks @trentbob!

As for the other responses, I appreciate the information. I suspect that the leather case with the metal stud for the belt clip will be in their future.

K4EET

Chaplain
My apologies - I don't remember exactly where I got it....
(I think directly from Uniden)

I have several SDS100s with metal studs.
I use a mounted Motorola mic clip that is perfect for holding the radio in a mobile environment.

Again, yes at some point there has been metal ones available.
And fairly sure from Uniden....
Thanks @nessnet! Good information as well...

Status
Not open for further replies.