• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Oem vs after market cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
I am buying a few vertex standard radio for a business, there most likely be a mixture of 231's and 451's. I know both are programmed using the fif-12 and ct106. I have seen a numerous amount of after market cables that can be used. What is your opinion on the oem vs after market cables. Has anyone had any problems with aftermarket cables, etc. if I can use an aftermarket cable with no problem that is always great as it saves money, but Is it worth it to get the oem. I know that with motorola you risk bricking the radio, is this the same with vertex radios. Thanks for any help

RodStrong

I think to a large degree that's a Ford/Chevy argument. Some guys will swear up and down that OEM is the only way to go, and tell you that you're crazy if you use anything else. Others will tell you knockoffs are plenty good, and save lots of money.

So, my opinion isn't any better than the next guy. But, for whatever it's worth, I use a combination of both on the 3 or 4 dozen types of radios I fool with. Out of all the radios I deal with, I probably use 80% knockoff cables.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy a knockoff cable, but again, someone will come in here and tell you I'm a fool in 3, 2, 1.........

Good luck.

SCPD

QRT
Yea that seems to be the general consensus when I ask the same question in other places. It seems that some people will only use oem, but a lot use aftermarket with no problem. My main concern is ruining a radio, I would hate to purchases. Radio and have it ruined By just using the wrong cable, that in itself would justify paying for the oem cable.

VSTech

For VX-230 or 450 units you don't need the FIF-12, you can use FIF-10A, if they are still available. FIF-12 are only needed for the eVerge digital radios EVX models

SCPD

QRT
Unfortunately the 10a was discontinued, and now the fif-12 is the replacement to that. It is compatible with the cables for the 10a, but you cannot get the 10a anymore. I also am dealing with evx radios, and i have read a few other posts on various websites that the evx has troubles with aftermarket cables anyways, so i have decided to purchase the CT106 and FIF 12.

Kf4mnc

I started off with a knock off cable for my evx radios and it was hit or miss when it would work. Switched to an OEM cable and it works much better. Not to mention it is much higher quality.

My time is worth more than the savings that were found by using the knock off. I'd purchase the OEM if you will be using it with any regularity otherwise just pay to have them programmed.

Status
Not open for further replies.