# of Batteries in PRO Scanners

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrauditor

Premium Subscriber
I own several RS handheld scanners and most utilize 6 AA batteries, but the PRO 26 and PRO 46 use 4. Obviously, all work fine, but what determines if a scanner uses 4 or uses 6 AA's ? [Or stated differently, what did the manufacturer have in mind when they decided to utilize 4 or to utilize 6 ?] Does the number of scanner features have any bearing on how many they need to use ? Is it kind of like having a 6 cyinder engine makes pulling a trailer easier than having a 4 cylinder engine ? Inquiring minds want to know and I know there are some highly intelligent lifeforms on this website.

Thanks.

KR4BD

I have these models:

Pro-92. 6 AAs
Pro-94. 4 AAs
Pro-97. 4 AAs
Pro-106 4 AAs

I am sure the circuit design determines the needed voltage to run the scanner. I can not think of a reason why the Pro-92 needs 6 AAs as it certainly doesn't do any tricks the others can't do.

Last edited:

mrauditor

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the reply and the circuit comment. I also have the PRO 92, 97 and 106. There must be a logical reason for the battery decision. I presume all manufacturers have models with either/or. I would just like to know why.

Thanks.

Last edited:

GrayJeep

Premium Subscriber
KR4BD - look into your ARRL handbook and find the discussion about "families" of digital parts.

Generally certain kinds of parts used standard voltages.

The older parts used higher voltages as their standard. Thus more batteries in series for higher voltage.

There also can be the issue that older parts weren't as efficient so more batteries are required to run the radio for a given length of time. (more mA/hrs)

mrauditor

Premium Subscriber
All scanner features being equal, would the number of batteries be a determining factor in whether you purchased or did not purchase a particular model ?

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.