Officer Down: Jackson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimmy252

JACKSON, Mich. (WXYZ) - Police are investigating the fatal shooting of a 26-year-old Jackson police officer.

The situation began around 11:00 p.m. Monday with reports of trouble at the Ashton Ridge Apartments in Blackman Township. Officers say that 63-year-old Elvin Potts had gone to the apartment and began banging on the door of his estranged wife, threatening her. However, by the time police arrived on scene Potts had left.

About an hour and a half later, Jackson Police Officer James Bonneau and Blackman Township Public Safety Officer Darrin McIntosh encountered the suspect in the 100 block of Mitchell Street in Jackson. Police say that following a short struggle Potts pulled a gun and fired it at the officers several times. He was shot and killed when one of the officers returned fire.

Both Bonneau and McIntosh were shot in the exchange of gunfire. McIntosh was hit in the lower body. He is being treated at Allegiance Hospital. Bonneau was shot in the chest in an area not covered by his vest. He died at Allegiance Hospital.

Bonneau had been a member of the Jackson Police force since November 2007. The last time a member of the force died in the line of duty was 1978.

Police Officer James Bonneau, Jackson Police Department

nomad66

Thanks for posting the report. I want to offer my sincere condolences to the family, friends and fellow officers of James Bonneau and Darrin McIntosh. While I don't live in the city of Jackson, I do live in Blackman township and I have a very high regard for their dedication and service. It is always sad to see these things happen to those that serve.

nomad66

There is no need for a correction. I fully realize that officer McIntosh was not killed, but he did sustain a serious wound. All I was trying to do was express my condolences to both of their families.

Status
Not open for further replies.