Officer fired for HIS own safety

Status
Not open for further replies.

bpckty1

How would you react when confronted with a large, charging dog, and all you see is the dog's open mouth as it is rapidly approaching your? I can see why the deputy responded the way he did. He felt he was in fear of his life. And now, he faces the political consequences of small county, good ol' boy politicks.

ff-medic

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
The Appalachians - Next to the tent and campfire.
I do not know about the report of the dog being shot in the back of the head.

My understanding is that the officer felt threatened and shot the dog in self defense. The dog could of bitten the officer and seriously injured him or caused him a great amount of medical problems.

My dad's dog bit me a few years ago. I was attacked from behind and the dog.....litterly snuck up behind me and bit me. I later shot and killed the dog for fear it would hurt one of the children in the family. Afterwards I had the dog bite examined and documented at a Medical facility.

A dog attack can be vicious. I believe the officer, as described.....acted within self defense protocol.

FF - Medic !!!

CaptDan

I was not there - so can only go by what has been reported - and based upon what I have read - and I have read as much information as I could locate on this situation - there should have been alternatives to shooting and killing an innocent family pet.

These dogs are not vicious by nature - they are not generally large dogs - usually between 40 & 50 pounds.

I am not sure the deputy needed to be fired - but he might require some re training on the use of force - esp deadly force. Dogs protect their owners and the owners property. these dogs are known for being extremely affectionate and loyal to their owners.

Were there viable options ? The deputy was not responding to an emergency - he was responding to a call for a burglary & theft that had been received by the dispatcher 2 hours earlier. Could he have retreated to his vehicle and have the dispatcher call the home owner and advise him that the deputy was there? Calls to 911 can not have their number blocked - now matter what the caller does - the called id information is transmitted to the 911 center. usually when a dispatch center receives a call on a non 911 number - if the number is blocked - the first thing the dispatcher asks for is the number the person is calling from.

I could go on and on - but the use of deadly force - is a last resort - to protect the life of the officer or others - and from the information available so far - nothing has indicated the Deputy's life was in danger.

I am just not convinced that this was a life threatening situation for the deputy that justified the execution of the family pet.

Dude111

mikepdx said:
RAINS COUNTY, TX (KLTV) -The Rains County Sheriff's deputy
who shot a dog after responding to a burglary call on Friday has been fired.
GOOD!!!!

Stupid cops.......THINK THEY CAN MURDER ANY DOG THEY WANT TO AND HAVE NO CONSEQUENCE!!

F

feets

How would you react when confronted with a large, charging dog, and all you see is the dog's open mouth as it is rapidly approaching your? I can see why the deputy responded the way he did. He felt he was in fear of his life. And now, he faces the political consequences of small county, good ol' boy politicks.
How do you shoot a "large, charging dog" in the back of the head?

Blue healers are not large. They are a mid sized dog.

He must have been packing one of these new fangled police issue Remminton CYA's (Cover Your Azz) for the hard to explain shot's in the back on "advancing threats". :wink:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.