Officer killed in Tucson

Status
Not open for further replies.

LEH

Premium Subscriber
I was looking at video of the Universal Studios fire on an LA TV station page yesterday. Saw a link to 3 officers shot in Arizona. Having lived in Tucson for 8 years, I followed it to see what was going on.

Seems a guy started shooting at houses in Oro Valley. A PCSO deputy tried to stop a vehicle matching the description. The deputy was shot by the perp, but continued the chase. The shooter lost the deputy, but was spotted later by either TPD or another PCSO deputy.

The shooter shot at the TPD officer on the east side (Tanque Verde near Houghton). The TPD officer was hit in the head and died this afternoon. The shooter also wounded another deputy somewhere along the way.

The shooter was finally captured near Molina Basin on Mt. Lemon Hwy. In jail on $2.5 million bond (probably soon to be revoked due to the death).

My condolences to the family of Officer Hite.

cratliff

Wow! I had seen the headline on CNN this evening but it said that the officer was still on life support. I dont see any reason why anyone would/should just go out shooting around like that. I am getting ready for a career in law enforcement and it seems like more and more recently officers are not only being shot at, but being killed.

KDX3CB

Our men in blue have perhaps the most under rated job on the planet. The pay sucks, and 90% of those they come in contact with aren't appreciative of their services. Next time you see a police officer be sure to say thanks... it goes a long way... even if you're on the receiving end of a ticket.

We might not always agree with what they do, but at the end of the day its that same offier who pulled you over- who will selflessly save the lives of your family in the middle of the night should someone break in- and he'll do it without an once of hesitation.

LEH

Premium Subscriber
KDX3CB said:
Our men in blue have perhaps the most under rated job on the planet. The pay sucks, and 90% of those they come in contact with aren't appreciative of their services. Next time you see a police officer be sure to say thanks... it goes a long way... even if you're on the receiving end of a ticket.

We might not always agree with what they do, but at the end of the day its that same offier who pulled you over- who will selflessly save the lives of your family in the middle of the night should someone break in- and he'll do it without an once of hesitation.

I whole heartedly agree with you here.

The late John Stewart (no, I did not spell the name of the 'comedian' [sic] wrong) wrote a song back in the early 70's that really should be the title song for the show "COPS". Even the name of the song would fit. It's called "Cops". You can find the full lyrics at californiabloodlines.com. Sorry, but this site only lets one post the home page url, you'll have to search the database manually.

But here's a verse that always rings true.

"Yea, we love you when we need you
And we hate you when we don't
You're the one who will
And I'm the one who won't."

Officer Death

It is too bad some have so little respect for those who risk their lives for others.

I wouldn't say the pay sucks (with overtime some cops are doing pretty well around here at least), but it isn't enough for the risk they take every day, just like our military people. Law enforcement is a calling more than a job in my view.

I hadn't heard the details, but was the murderer an illegal AGAIN? Because this thing of people from our southern neighbor coming here illegaly, then killing at will, then running back across the border is getting really old.

Last night I heard a couple of bad guys laid down rifle fire on phoenix officers, and fortunately they were taken into custody with no officers injured. It doesn't hurt either, that one was treated for "dog bites" when the K9 got ahold of him, serves him right.

LEH

Premium Subscriber
No, the images of the shooter in Tucson make him appear to be Hispanic. His last name 'Delich' doesn't sound Hispanic either.

Just listened to another report on KVOA that really praises the officers and deputies involved. Three officers wounded and none of them returned fire because of nearby civilians.

The report says the shooters car they found a bullet proof vest, four weapons (two rifles and two handguns) with nearly 1,000 rounds of ammunition. They also found some marijuana and 'hallucinogenic' drugs in the car as well.

That Mr. Delich came down from Mount Lemon on his own feet again shows the professionalism of the Deputies and Police officers involved.

Shooters

I agree that the restraint of the officers was outstanding.

As far as the other officer involved shooting, it turns out the shooters who shot at PPD officers last night WERE illegals, just heard it on the radio.

astickman

The shooter was nuts. On the news they said, he said, he started shooting at his neighbors because they looked at him funny. They showed the bullet holes in the stucco. That's what started the whole thing. To me the guy looks white, not hispanic. Whatever he is, unless he escapes, he'll probably be Sheriff Joe Apio's in a few years. Unfortunately that won't bring back the officer. Sorry to his family.

Status
Not open for further replies.