Officer Shot in Vermillion County

usswood

Officer involved shooting with murder suspect... One officer (Vermillion Dep) shot in leg, suspect shot many times

Anyone know who ISP 89-1 is?

Mex

This incident was a pursuit out of Vermilion County Illinois. Subject was wanted for attempted homicide out of Illinois.

Route taken:
Pursuit started somewhere on Perrysville Rd, Danville
Proceeded into Indiana (IN-32 & IL/IN State Line)
Turned southbound on IN-63 from IN-32
Turned onto County Rd 700 N (A Dead end)
Ended back up onto IN-63 SB
Proceeded SB to Newport Depot, where he turned to go NB
Continued NB ON IN-36 to Market St Newport
Turned EB on market, then NB on Main St in Newport
Continued onto IN-71 from County Rd 150 N
Proceeded through Dana, crossing US-36
Turns onto County Rd 700 N from IN-71
He then pulls into a farmyard, exits vehicle, engages into a shootout with IN & IL VCSO units in which results into 2 subjects being shot. A IN VCSO Deputy and the suspect. The suspect was shot twice, one in left arm, once in left leg. He continued running into a barn, in which he got into a tractor, started it in ram the door. The deputy injuried has a turnoquiet applied and is being transported to meet with EMS on IN-63, when then transports to a trauma hospital. After about 10 minutes and officer on the scene requests notifications to Terra Haute SWAT to respond. Subject then drives tractor to the door and stops, after minutes of commands he gets out and is detained by officers without further incident. EMS arrived to scene and transported the subject to a trauma hospital

Everyone operated on the main dispatch channel for the pursuit, with tellecommunicators from all sheriff's offices & Indian State Police communicating updates via phones, once subject was in barn they started switching to G-MA-1 right before the incident was brought under control.

Responded agencies -
Danville PD
Vermilion County Sheriff's Department (IL)
Vermilion County Sheriff's Department (IN)
Indiana State Police - District 14 & Lafayette Communications
Parke County Sheriff's Department
Vigo County Sheriff's Department
Fountain County Sheriff's Department
Warren County Sheriff's Department

(I apologize if I something is incorrect, I'm not that familiar with Indiana public safety)

usswood

The feed I listened to was a mess. I heard a bunch of 14 and 53 units inovled sounded like state but I wasn't sure.
Comms were terrible with everyone on something else... No Dispatcher training for coordination to a similar talkgroup early and then it was just radio chaos after that... even the first shoots fired call didnt come across because of tower overload on that clinton site... he kept coming across rely garbled on terre haute site, but I knew from the bits, weapons were being discharged LOL...

GTO_04

Comms were terrible with everyone on something else... No Dispatcher training for coordination to a similar talkgroup early and then it was just radio chaos after that... even the first shoots fired call didnt come across because of tower overload on that clinton site... he kept coming across rely garbled on terre haute site, but I knew from the bits, weapons were being discharged LOL...
I always wondered how well interoperability worked across state lines.

GTO_04

W8KIC

Premium Subscriber
I always wondered how well interoperability worked across state lines.

GTO_04
My guess is that jurisdictional issues can and will remain an ongoing problem, along with trying to get various law enforcement agencies on the same page when it comes to interop communications. The obvious response is to do WHATEVER‘S NECESSARY in order to capture the perp(s) but unfortunately, lawyers and their egos will undoubtedly come into play to complicate matters. Still, interoperability has a future but will require additional training that I’m not all together sure the powers that be within these agencies want to spend an inordinate amount of time on. Sadly, that might one day be to their detriment.

VASCAR2

Indiana had ILEEN 155.475 and Illinois has ISPERN 155.475. This worked very well on the Indiana/Illinois border because adjacent state police district handled the inter agency traffic on their side of the border. You could have a pursuit start in Terre Haute/Vigo County and once they entered Illinois Effingham post 12 Illinois State Police would take over traffic.

Indiana State Police migrated away from VHF High Band to Safe-T then went to Regional dispatch. Illinois State Police has migrated primarily to STARCOM and consolidated. For the same area DuQuoin handles the traffic and the infrastructure is still in place. Last year or two years ago a pursuit came into Illinois from Sullivan County Indiana. Illinois State Police was on ISPERN 155.475 coordinating with Crawford County and Jasper Counties in Illinois and Sullivan County was in contact by telephone.

There still is a ISPERN Talk Group on STARCOM and VHF towers through out the state of Illinois which can patch VHF ISPERN to STARCOM ISPERN/Priority talk group. All I’ve heard in Indiana are the Mutual Aid Talk Groups and those were by region/area AFAIK. I don’t know if there is the equivalent state wide Talk Group to the old ILEEN on Safe-T.

The STARCOM ISPERN TG patched to VHF ISPERN works better than most would believe and beats three or four agencies trying to coordinate by telephone.

The same 155.475 frequency was utilized by Wisconsin and was known as WISPERN and was used effectively between Illinois and Wisconsin. NLETS was the nationwide acronym for 155.475 and was also used by Missouri and Kentucky. I’ve been retired to long to know if these other states still utilize 155.475.

You’d think as frequent as these cross border incidents occur Agencies would be pushing for better inter agency communications between Indiana and Illinois. One Disadvantage to STARCOM is the way the system is configured so the coverage outside of Illinois borders is very limited with the use of directional towers pointed into Illinois at any site near the state line.

Another disadvantage in Illinois is the use of various types of digital VHF by Agency. Some smaller agencies utilize NXDN while other agencies in close proximity are using DMR or P25. Many Agencies are using encryption where other agencies don’t have access. An incident last year where there was a murder suspect at large in Illinois and into Missouri prompted the issuance of STARCOM portables to a few Sheriff’s until the incident had been resolved.

Everybody talks interoperability but things were actually better in the 70’s and 80’s in many areas.

usswood

The same 155.475 frequency was utilized by Wisconsin and was known as WISPERN and was used effectively between Illinois and Wisconsin. NLETS was the nationwide acronym for 155.475 and was also used by Missouri and Kentucky. I’ve been retired to long to know if these other states still utilize 155.475.
The good days, "Effingham State Terre Haute state, point to point..... Go ahead Terre Haute State, this is Effingham State...." KSB201... Equipment and antenna are still at the old SP post in Terre Haute because it is a Safe-T Tower.... ILL's receivers all work... problem is the Dispatching is in Indy and I bet there is no remote control for the equipment....

VASCAR2

Your right about Indianapolis handling Putnamville traffic. I was thinking Bloomington since they handle the southwest. Illinois state Police have gone from twenty two Districts to ten Troops (plus D-15/Troop 15) and Dispatch Communication centers at Sterling, Chicago, Tollway District 15, Pontiac, Springfield, Collinsville (Metro East) and DuQuoin. Previously ISP had communications 24/7 in most Districts.

In Illinois trunked radio systems haven’t provided the interoperability advertised. Part of the problem is a high percentage of radio users are unfamiliar with their radios and rarely will switch to a non dispatch Talk Group. Many don’t navigate to the various banks in the template to use the radio to it’s potential. They want to know how to turn on/off, volume and PTT, maybe emergency button. Many won’t use a vehicular repeater, to lazy, to much trouble or don’t want to learn or be bothered.

STARCOM fee structure has kept many Agencies from joining due to cost. In the Metro areas there is wider use of STARCOM but in many areas encryption handicaps Agencies working more closely. Other than the skip I really didn’t mind using low band. We definitely had interoperability when every agency in southern Illinois was on 39.5 and monitored ISP 42.5 so we could cross talk. ISPERN radios were in every police car and it wasn’t hard to use the red mic.

Ah the good old days, sorry for rambling on.