Official BC-RH96 Remote Head Pre-Release Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
You can use the front port for GPS with a null modem adapter, but the rear port is mentioned in the owners manual for GPS.

For the remote head to work with the 396 and 330, it would need the same small connector that is used on the front port for the 15 and 996. It looks like this is the port to be used, unless it comes with an adapter, or second cable to attached at the head.

garys

Premium Subscriber
Jay said:
This is SO going under my Christmas tree, er, Easter tree or whenever it comes out. It sounds like it will make the installation of the 996 in the WRX a lot easier. :)

St. Valentine's Day tree? <G>

Gary

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
wesct said:
scanner master has an annoucement on their website:

http://www.scannermaster.com/Articles.asp?ID=149

wesct

Good: "Users will not have to do anything to their existing or new scanners (such as detach the head of the radio)."

This is an open statement: "connects to the scanner via the RS-232 port"

"The price of the Uniden BC-RH96 has not been set but is expected to be under $200." Reads, $199.99. ;)

yaesumofo

No there you go agaiin. Can you prove that it isn't?
Yaesumofo

b52hbuff said:
...here we go again. What evidence do you have that the radios are running linux??

The 'reason' the remote head is 'so easy' is that there is a standard set of programming commands across all of the supported radios. Also note that volume and squelch are also controllable via the serial interface.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
"Can you prove that it isn't?"

Sounds like you two have walked this road before - your 'proof' that the radios are running Linux is because nobody has proven otherwise? What does this have to do with the remote head?

safetyobc

It will have to be near $100 for me to buy one. Yeah, it would be a neat feature to have, but it isn't necessary (for me). I think if it is over $150 it will be overpriced for most users.

But, compared to ScannerMaster's price for a remote head, $200 would be cheap. lol.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
safetyobc said:
It will have to be near $100 for me to buy one. Yeah, it would be a neat feature to have, but it isn't necessary (for me). I think if it is over $150 it will be overpriced for most users.

But, compared to ScannerMaster's price for a remote head, $200 would be cheap. lol.

Hopefully ScannerMaster is quoting MSRP and not Street Price...

b52hbuff

Premium Subscriber
rdale said:
"Can you prove that it isn't?"

Sounds like you two have walked this road before - your 'proof' that the radios are running Linux is because nobody has proven otherwise? What does this have to do with the remote head?

Yeah, and it always ends up the same way...

http://www.radioreference.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23862&page=2&highlight=linux

http://www.radioreference.com/forums/showthread.php?p=162723&highlight=linux#post162723

http://www.radioreference.com/forums/showthread.php?p=157984&highlight=linux#post157984

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Who has recommendations on amplified and un-amplified speakers for mobile installation?

This is something that will be needed once the remote head is available.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
If you don't mind eBay and/or having to put a connector on it yourself, you can get a 7.5" amplified speaker made by Motorola that is virtually indestructible and does a fantastic job. There's usually dozens of them on eBay as they are used in virtually all Motorola remote radio applications. You're likely to have to put a mono or stereo connector on the cable yourself, but that's fairly simple if you know how to work a soldering iron.

KB8UYC

Premium Subscriber
DaveIN said:
Good: "Users will not have to do anything to their existing or new scanners (such as detach the head of the radio)."

This is an open statement: "connects to the scanner via the RS-232 port"

"The price of the Uniden BC-RH96 has not been set but is expected to be under $200." Reads, $199.99. ;)

Well, ok......I read too much into it on my first post. "IF" it is $200.00 I think it would be well worth it....It looks good anyway and if uniden is mass producing them I can see these head appearing everywhere....I will say temporarly...GOOD JOB UNIDEN!! Now what will it take the Rat shack to come up with something like this????

Ubbe

Guys, think of this remote head as a PC with a virtual control program. It's exactly the same function and control codes and options available with both. These remote head-send-control-codes units have already been done for Icoms PCR1000 and several other black box receivers.

What could you do with a SD card on the PC when you can't download anything while in vitual control mode? Nothing. Can you have extra channels or extra options and features on the PC while in virtual control mode? Not very likely.

I belive the remote head also could be used with the BC246T as it has the exact same control codes, excluding software controllable volume and squelch ?

The BCT15/996 have an RS-232 port both at the rear and front. The rear is a 9pin d-sub connector and the front is a mini-USB connector but still RS-232.

The cable lenght will be about the same as with your PC connected to your scanner. If the head runs at 115k it will be pretty short distances, 3 meters, 10 feet but if the speed where reduced you could easily go up to 30 meters, 100 feet.

There are already programs available that mimics a serial RS-232 over the net, mostly used to access a remote fax modem, that you should be able to use with the remote head but then you also need to stream back the audio, probably easiest way would be to use an IP telephone like Skype.

Don't think of the remote head as a mysterious black box but instead as a very simple and slimmed down PC, and it will be much easier to understand what can be done and what is impossible to do.

Ubbe.

Butelsoftware

Database Admin
I wouldn't call it a slimmed down PC :) any microcontroller can 'talk' rs232.

This is a slimmed down PC:

Attachments

• tabletpc.jpg
    tabletpc.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 4,511

safetyobc

n4voxgill said:
what about the high tempertures in the trunk?

I thought about that too. Not only in the trunk but inside the entire vehicle. I assume that the BCT15 and BCD996T were designed to withstand such temps because they are "mobile" scanners. But the BR330T or BCD396T?????

I will likely take my 330 in and out as needed but leave the control head mounted in the truck.

What about the cold temps for you guys up north?

garys

Premium Subscriber
I've never had a problem with scanners or ham radios in cold or hot weather here in New England.

I don't plan on leaving my 396 in the vehicle when I'm not driving. It will come with me, just as it does now.

Gary

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Ubbe said:
I belive the remote head also could be used with the BC246T as it has the exact same control codes, excluding software controllable volume and squelch ?

True, but at ~$200, it's not cost effective for the BC246T or SC230.

Ubbe said:
The BCT15/996 have an RS-232 port both at the rear and front. The rear is a 9pin d-sub connector and the front is a mini-USB connector but still RS-232.

Yes, but if the remote head is going to be standard for even the handhelds, you will need the "mini-USB" style connector. This would leave out the rear port.

Status
Not open for further replies.