Official Bucks County 700Mhz Phase II Radio System Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

wa2km

Can't Hear

Located near the Scudders Falls bridge in Ewing. As of now, I hear nothing on my 436hp. Nothing either on my 536. Had to change threshold level from 8 to 11 on the 500 system. Is threshold #8 working for you guys?

osiris

So far the new system sounds great in Doylestown. I've been monitoring it since 0700. Hears all the units switching over and heard everything as clear as possible with a scanner. Since I can't afford ( or justify) spending 3K for an APX radio, I'll put up with what it is. Besides, it's the first responders that need to hear & understand everything anyway, it's just a hobby for me.
So far, overall, everything sounds pretty good. I'll see how it is on my 436 tomorrow on my way to work & after I get there (in Feasterville). When they were testing it even sounded good inside the building.
Let you know more tomorrow.

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin
Some questions:

1. Are the old UHF fireground frequencies and the UHF Fire Police repeater going to be available post switch? I know some companies have dualband APX gear because they have their own UHF channels. So, I was wondering if these should remain in the database for now.

2. Are there new talkgroups for county security, sheriff, constables, etc? What about the police info (data) channel? Is there a replacement for that (encrypted possibly)?

3. Does the VHF EMA repeater remain in service? I notice no talkgroups have been submitted for any EMA specific use.

radio3353

Some questions:

1. Are the old UHF fireground frequencies and the UHF Fire Police repeater going to be available post switch? I know some companies have dualband APX gear because they have their own UHF channels. So, I was wondering if these should remain in the database for now.

Ben,
At 3:15 pm today, I heard Temple Med helo calling a Bucks unit on FG1 (501.3375). I noticed in the database that there are four new 700 MHz Fire Direct channels listed (North, South, East, Central). No traffic heard yet this afternoon on the Central Fire Direct. Maybe they are replacing the two 500 MHz Fireground 1 and 2 channels????

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin
Ben,
At 3:15 pm today, I heard Temple Med helo calling a Bucks unit on FG1 (501.3375). I noticed in the database that there are four new 700 MHz Fire Direct channels listed (North, South, East, Central). No traffic heard yet this afternoon on the Central Fire Direct. Maybe they are replacing the two 500 MHz Fireground 1 and 2 channels????

Yes, those four new frequencies will be the main fireground channels off the system. I was not sure if the old 500MHz channels would be maintained for anything or those are dead like the old TRS.

wa3bxw

Northampton Twp. Central Fire

Confirming 155.250 very weak into Warminster. Hopefully they can clear the problem soon. Central Fire just migrated to the new system. I can hear the roll call on 155.250, but as I said, very weak audio.

The audio should be better after making a few adjustments. Also some temporary antenna changes were made to improve the signal, comments are welcome. The internet feed has some issue (loud whine) emitting from the digital radio, so audio is muted until the issue can be worked out.

trunktracking

Hi All,

I have been enjoying listening to the transition of the new Bucks County 700 Mhz. Phase II system since early this morning via Broadcastify.

Two years ago, here in Orange County, Florida, we migrated from a Motorola Type II Smartzone 800 Mhz. Trunked System to a Motorola 800 Mhz. P25 Phase II system, just like Bucks did today.

The first thing you will immediately notice on a P25 Phase II 700 Mhz. system is the LSM issue. I rectified that problem early on using this model yagi (which I highly recommend):

824-960, 13dBi, Terrawave Yagi Base Antenna

I miss C4FM over CQPSK, but times and systems change.

When we migrated to P25 Phase II here in Central Florida, all law enforcement agencies immediately implemented full time encryption on every talkgroup they use, which is why I started my C.A.R.E. Group. As a result, I have a great deal of respect for the Bucks County Board Of County Commissioners in making a fair and balanced decision regarding public radio access.

It's has also been fun today researching the FCC licenses connected with the new Bucks County Radio System, in addition to seeing all 24 sites on Google Earth.

Happy Monitoring!

7 3,

'Trunktracking' (Scanning For 40 Years Now)
Joe Mattern, WX4ADX
President Of Mattern Media
Orlando, Florida

My Arsenal Of Scanners:

Electra Bearcat IV, Uniden BCD785XLT, Uniden BCD996T, (1) Uniden HomePatrol, (3) Uniden BCD536HP's, (1) Uniden BCD396T, (1) Uniden BCD396XT, (2) GRE PSR800's (1) Uniden BCD436HP. (1) Motorola XTS2500 800, (2) XTS5000's on 800 & ProScan.

radio3353

When we migrated to P25 Phase II here in Central Florida, all law enforcement agencies immediately implemented full time encryption on every talkgroup they use, which is why I started my C.A.R.E. Group. As a result, I have a great deal of respect for the Bucks County Board Of County Commissioners in making a fair and balanced decision regarding public radio access.

Agreed!! I can't say this enough. Kudos to our Bucks Commissioners for their foresight in refusing to encrypt the entire system in spit of pressure from the police chiefs. The commissioners get it...an informed public is an asset to emergency services.

I hope they receive the thanks we are sending their way.

High five's also go to the radio team. This appears to have been a very smooth transition to the new radio system. By 1:15 pm this afternoon, all agencies were migrated.

Last edited:

Septa3371CSX1

Monitored the new system for a bit while I was at the Philly Fire Muster up in the Northeast not far from Bucks. Sounded good for the most part on my Pro 668 - some issues of course with LSM. Also monitored the 500 system a few times and the only traffic I got was fire police. Looks like they may have been the last group to migrate over.

wa2km

Since I heard nothing yesterday ( live in Ewing, NJ ) near the airport, I took a ride across the Scudders Falls bridge this morning. The second I went across the bridge into Yardley I begun to hear the system loud and clear. The second I went back across the bridge into Ewing the system dropped out just that quick. I sure hope they are going to fix this soon. I can inmage a Bucks unit in pursuit on 95 going across the bridge and the system dropps out on them.

ryanwr1994

I did some in building test in my house a lot of issues using the bcd43hp on the second floor of my house. but once I was on the first floor no problems, just a few isolated spots. for some reason the stock is working better then the spectrum force antenna. I did have to change the threshold level from 8 to 11 even though you would think I wouldn't have to many issues since I live in warminster, and I believe there is a tower in Ivyland.

Last edited:

WGVFC166

Feed Provider
Who turned off the lights?

This may be a post for a "fresh" thread, but as it concerns current vs former performance of Bucks' system, I'll put it here, since its a sticky and where others in my situation may go first.

I seem to be an exception to the rule--I went from having pretty good reception/performance on the old 500 MHz system, to it being absolutely atrocious on the new 700 MHz system. I have my 20+ year old Bearcat 560XLT in the room, hear an (obviously) analog Bucks fire dispatch, yet the digital simulcast hardly ever kicks on, and if it does, its half way through the dispatch (I've the system lock on--its ONLY scanning the 700 MHz system right now). If I go back into scan, I get analog Bucks dispatch just fine, MontCo, etc.

I'm using a 436HP that is connected to an attic mounted antenna that performed quite nicely with the 500 MHz system, and still works great with Montgomery County's 800 MHz system, yet I'm hardly grabbing anything at all. I'm located in Upper Southampton--its not like I'm trying to listen from rural Berks or something, though I am located in the LOS to Ivyland valley along Davisville Rd. My programming is up to date, as is the scanner's firmware, and I can confirm I haven't locked anything out. Has anyone else out there seen a performance degradation as I have, and if so, what did you do to resolve it, assuming you did?

signaldoc

Premium Subscriber
Same results you're having. Check out my post regarding this several pages back (14).

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
Dead on Pro 668

I should be able to pick this system up from Montco shouldn't I? I went up to Plymouth Meeting today with my Pro 668 & didn't hear a thing from the new system. Tried downloading from the SD card library as well as from the Pro 668 software, two different banks, all have the most up to date database (437). Also tried downloading control channels only & all channels. Is there anything else I should change or tweak to be able to pick this system up? I've had no issues in the past picking the old 500mhz system. Any help would be appreciated

Attachments

• 668.jpg
    668.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 433

radio3353

This may be a post for a "fresh" thread, but as it concerns current vs former performance of Bucks' system, I'll put it here, since its a sticky and where others in my situation may go first.

I seem to be an exception to the rule--I went from having pretty good reception/performance on the old 500 MHz system, to it being absolutely atrocious on the new 700 MHz system. I have my 20+ year old Bearcat 560XLT in the room, hear an (obviously) analog Bucks fire dispatch, yet the digital simulcast hardly ever kicks on, and if it does, its half way through the dispatch (I've the system lock on--its ONLY scanning the 700 MHz system right now). If I go back into scan, I get analog Bucks dispatch just fine, MontCo, etc.

I'm using a 436HP that is connected to an attic mounted antenna that performed quite nicely with the 500 MHz system, and still works great with Montgomery County's 800 MHz system, yet I'm hardly grabbing anything at all. I'm located in Upper Southampton--its not like I'm trying to listen from rural Berks or something, though I am located in the LOS to Ivyland valley along Davisville Rd. My programming is up to date, as is the scanner's firmware, and I can confirm I haven't locked anything out. Has anyone else out there seen a performance degradation as I have, and if so, what did you do to resolve it, assuming you did?

The new system is a SIMULCAST system so the same signal is coming from every tower. What you describe is the classic LSM issue - your radio can't discriminate the same signal arriving from more than one place, so you get drop outs. It is a big problem for many people with the new Phase 2 simulcast systems, especially those who are close to multiple towers. Listen to the North Band Philly Fire feed on RadioReference and you will hear the same problem. Tons of missed transmissions.

You could try disconnecting your attic antenna and using a small antenna on the radio to reduce reception from other towers. Or, put up a beam (yagi) antenna and play with the direction you point it. Otherwise, welcome to the new world. No current consumer scanner will work at your location if you are having LSM issues. There are many threads about this problem. Search for them.

Last edited:

radio3353

I should be able to pick this system up from Montco shouldn't I? I went up to Plymouth Meeting today with my Pro 668 & didn't hear a thing from the new system. Tried downloading from the SD card library as well as from the Pro 668 software, two different banks, all have the most up to date database (437). Also tried downloading control channels only & all channels. Is there anything else I should change or tweak to be able to pick this system up? I've had no issues in the past picking the old 500mhz system. Any help would be appreciated

Are you able to get closer to Bucks to test it? Plymouth Meeting may be a little to far out for a 700MHz system. You didn't give any details on your antenna, but it sounds like you were mobile so antenna may be an issue, especially if you were just using the rubber ducky.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
Are you able to get closer to Bucks to test it? Plymouth Meeting may be a little to far out for a 700MHz system. You didn't give any details on your antenna, but it sounds like you were mobile so antenna may be an issue, especially if you were just using the rubber ducky.
Ya, I tested using RS telescopic (20-006) & 800 mhz (20-283) antennas. I'll make a trip up to Bensalem some time and test

Status
Not open for further replies.