Official PRO-96/2096 U1.3 information

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
After the fact I know, but interesting none the less.

It's interesting that two version of the file are now available on the Radio Shack support page with the same August 17, 2006 date.
http://www.radioshack.com/product/i...productId=2036238&support=support&tab=support

The first file was the 1.3 updater with no verbage as to what the change was for, and now a zipped file including the PDF with the instructions and a statement:

"New in this version DSP APP Firmware Version U1.3 provides the following enhancements to your PRO-96/2096 Digital Trunking Scanner:

Improved decoding of digital audio on the Detroit, Michigan Project 25 Trunked Radio System The DSP digital decoder was fine tuned to maximize performance when used on the Detroit, Michigan and similar Project 25 trunked radio system.

Improved digital decoding of weak or distorted digital signals
The enhancements that were made to the digital decoder to provide improved digital performance on systems like the Detroit Project 25 system also provide noticeable decoding improvement on all supported digital system types in areas with weak digital signals, or digital signals that are distorted due to multipath or simulcast ."

Thanks for adding the "official" information Radio Shack, it takes the guess work out of the update.

Last edited:

rmiller818

Now if they would only "Fine Tune" and improve decoding of weak signals down here! Wonder how long that will take for them to put out another update.

babyreb

1.3 update

i have a pro 96 when they first came out and the 1.3 upgrade did not help me because i have a cpu f1.2 it has to be sent in for updated

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
You are confusing CPU1.3 with DSP1.3, this is the DSP1.3 upgrade which you can do.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
This is what you look at when you press "3" on startup during the welcome message. DSP-APP: F1.x

proquist96

I see some people confusing the cpu with dsp and i have a pro 96 with cpu:1.4, dsp-app:1.3 and dsp-voc:1.0. The cpu is a processor chip (if its 1.2 or1.1 it goes to Texas, if you see 1.3 or 1.4 you're good to go) the cpu needs to be soldered in into the radio. Now the (dsp-app:1.2) firmware(as opposed to software) is what you can download from the RS website and update the dsp-app: thru a cable connected to your PC, I switched from factory 1.2 to 1.3(field upgrade means you got it off the RS website note: there is a field upgrade 1.2 dsp but the radios with a cpu 1.4 have the 1.2 factory version already in there which is the same as the field 1.2 from the website. You can upgrade the factory 1.2 with the field upgrade 1.2 and accomplish nothing but its still fun to watch it upgrade itself with the same version; this is called OCD but we won't get in to that today) and finally the vocoder (dsp-voc:F1.0) we're stuck with that. DSP means Digital Signal Processing and has no effect on the analog reception of the radio.

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
babyreb said:
ok but does my (cpu) need to be updated from 1.2 to 1.4 will this help reception
Changing CPU from 1.2 to 1.3 or 1.4 will correct a problem with Motorola analog talkgroups in the range of 48xxx. If you have no analog talkgroups in that range, 1.2 CPU should work fine.

babyreb

InlandAZ said:
It's not a CPU upgrade - it's a DSP upgrade... What does it say for DSP-App?
yes i know but sending it to factory to upgrde the cpu from 1.2 to 1.4 help the detroit reception problem iwas told it might i am talking cpu not dsp i did update that or dsp voc

rdale

Premium Subscriber
"but sending it to factory to upgrde the cpu from 1.2 to 1.4 help the detroit reception problem"

No. As was clearly stated above, changing CPU from 1.2 to 1.4 will only help with reception of a few talkgroups on analog systems.

proquist96

I would have the cpu upgraded anyway just to have the best. I bought mine new from RS 4 months ago and it came with 1.4cpu and 1.2 dsp out of the box.I have never had an older model to compare 1.2 cpu to 1.4 to hear the difference.

rdale

Premium Subscriber
There is no value in upgrading unless you suffer the talkgroup problem I mentioned. You will not hear a difference in the audio quality at all, so upgrading does nothing except take your radio away for a few weeks...

Status
Not open for further replies.