Chris0516

There is one problem with the manual. That I just found. In 'History Logging', the first sentence

"The History Logging feature logs the all the radio activity. " needs to be edited. It is not grammatically, correct.

es93546

A Member Twice
Premium Subscriber
es93546 I think you're being unfair and unreasonable with Bob. I can understand you might be overwhelmed but don't take it out on Bob. We all were and often still are at times. ProScan is an extremely advanced, versatile and yes complicated piece of software. It is a work in progress and constantly being modified and upgraded with new features several times a month usually. It is not something you just load up and exploit all it's features and capability without making some level of commitment and investment of time learning it. You shouldn't fault ProScan because you're lacking basic computer skills like how to save/backup a file or find a Uniden BC780-XLT difficult to understand.

Again most of us have spent years learning what we know. We didn't just dive in the deep water without knowing how to swim or at least end up coughing and choking on all the water we swallowed! I can't think of too many software programs today that come with a manual especially with the level of detail your demanding, especially for $50. Did any of Microsoft's software come with something like that? Software manuals are a multi-billion dollar industry. Most everyone hear have a great respect for Bob and his knowledge along with his investment of time and commitment to his development and improvement of ProScan! He supports his user base with extremely fast response, with solutions and a lot of patients more than any other software I've used in my lifetime.

I honestly think you should apologize to Bob, your expectations are unreasonable.
Not saving your work and blaming the software is like parking your car on a hill not putting the transmission in park and setting the emergency brake and blaming the car when it rolls off.

If you worked on it for a week, didn't you save it? Unless you did another save after you wiped it out, you can just open the saved file again!

I did save one copy of the file. I had been saving to it all week, probably once every ten minutes. The file was blank a few seconds after I hit the download button. My expectations for the software itself have been fully met. It is so much better than the application I bought in 2007 on a CD. I have praised the software for being so much better now and for how many different scanners it can be used on. I did make an error by not knowing what download and upload means. On another thread I noted that in the computer industry the meaning of these terms is not consistent.

I have one complaint, the lack of instructions for the basic procedures of the software. The manual covers a lot of procedures as far as remote operation of the scanner, streaming the scanner on the internet and some other procedures. What is lacks is any writing covering the basics. I've sent my comments to Bob. I don't think I should apologize for pointing out the lack of instructions. I need to relate my experience and the consequences for me, which could have been avoided if instructions were provided. That has been my experience with everything related to computers, good instructions are needed for good software.

The analogy of the parked car is not accurate. If the car came with a manual that covered engine maintenance and design (like my 1.2 liter turbocharged Honda), its reduced rate of emissions, and how to get one of those devices that shows you've paid the bridge or highway toll. But this manual did not explain where the transmission shift lever was located and that, unlike some other cars, the emergency brake lever was a button on top of the dashboard. If I have a flat tire I need to know where the spare and jack is don't I? I had a rental car once, where the jack was mounted under the hood and the lug wrench was with the tire. Now let's add that the emergency brake and shift lever are labeled differently than in most cars. But, we don't have that kind of problem with cars as instructions are include for these basics.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Reading from the scanner wouldn't erase your programming file on the computer, unless you saved the blank data you erroneously read from the scanner, instead of loading the file back from from the hard drive.

That's still a double user error, and all of that is covered in the pdf manual that comes with the software.

es93546

A Member Twice
Premium Subscriber
I was actually saving the file after writing about every third line. We had 10 short power interruptions one day while I was writing the file. I have a good UPS and probably didn't need to save so often, but you never know. I was being cautious. I'm giving some feedback here, now it's seems like several people don't want to hear it. I know the application will be improved if the manual covered the basics. I worked in a field that was largely one of public information and education. I'm experienced with how effective publications and brochures affect public land visitor behavior and their satisfaction. I make my comments here based on 25 years of that.

Last edited:

es93546

A Member Twice
Premium Subscriber
Reading from the scanner wouldn't erase your programming file on the computer, unless you saved the blank data you erroneously read from the scanner, instead of loading the file back from from the hard drive.

That's still a double user error, and all of that is covered in the pdf manual that comes with the software.

When I pushed the download button instead of the upload button, the frequencies went blank one line at a time very rapidly. I tried to stop the procedure, but couldn't get it to stop. I had cleared the memory of the scanner when I could not get it to communicate with the computer. I thought maybe working from a blank slate would help. Nothing seemed to work to get the two devices to connect with each other. In this bit of a Rube Goldberg event, I would have retained this file from 2007. Because there were so many changes to make, I deleted much of the list in each bank as it was easier to do than move things all over the list.

I'm not placing any blame on anyone. I'm suggesting that the manual be written to include these basic editing and file transfer procedures.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
When I pushed the download button instead of the upload button, the frequencies went blank one line at a time very rapidly. I tried to stop the procedure, but couldn't get it to stop. I had cleared the memory of the scanner when I could not get it to communicate with the computer. I thought maybe working from a blank slate would help. Nothing seemed to work to get the two devices to connect with each other. In this bit of a Rube Goldberg event, I would have retained this file from 2007. Because there were so many changes to make, I deleted much of the list in each bank as it was easier to do than move things all over the list.

I'm not placing any blame on anyone. I'm suggesting that the manual be written to include these basic editing and file transfer procedures.
You could of closed the database then you will be prompted with a "Data Has Changed - Save Current Data" Yes No Cancel
Also as other have pointed out, Always backup your data first to another folder or file just in case. Computer 101 stuff.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
I can start with a blank slate new scanner and be done in an hour. Thats over 50 favorite list of course I pay the fee to download from here as my time is worth what it cost a year to pay the fee for here but that is me I keep up over 25 Uniden scanners running in my house and car and program scanners for friends most for free.

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
es93546 wrote... The computer is the source and the device is where it is going, to me that is downloading it from the computer into the device. I guess you are telling me that I have to upload it to the scanner from the computer

Bob is correct in his terminology.... Pulled from the internet...

What is the difference between download and upload?
The main difference between Upload and Download is that the Upload is a sending of data from a local system to a remote system and Download is a to receive data to a local system from a remote system.

Remote system being... The Scanner...

es93546

A Member Twice
Premium Subscriber
I'm not sure your complaint is justified about covering the basics. You did get ProScan to communicate with the scanner and you did create a new database file. From what I can tell, you didn't know the difference between uploading and downloading. That's covered in the manual.

I just read through the manual again. I had previously read every page and highlighted a lot of lines I anticipated would be helpful. I did this before attempting to connect my scanner or using the software. I can't find any specific instructions on those pages addressing the difference between uploading and downloading. If you can give me a page number and section name I might find it. This brings up one more suggestion, put page numbers in the manual that show up when it is printed. I had a little trouble putting it back together after my wife set up a fan in my office after I stepped out to use the facilities. The pages blew around a bit. Again, my error, but page numbers would be helpful and would also allow you to point me right to the text that explains up and down loading.

I don't want to give the impression that the software is not excellent. I'm just suggesting that for those who are not computer techies, additional instructions would reduce the fumbling around I experienced. I'm retired from the U.S. Forest Service and often found that what we did was correct, in our perspective and based on the science we were educated in. But, correct or not, you can't communicate or educate until you listen to feedback and place yourself in the mind of people who don't have that education and experience. We could not be defensive, we had to screw our heads on differently to find the means to communicate. Not very many people in the agency could do a good job dealing with the public and it isn't easy to reach a point of effectiveness. Largely because it isn't easy placing yourself in someone else's shoes.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
I know the application will be improved if the manual covered the basics. I worked in a field that was largely one of public information and education. I'm experienced with how effective publications and brochures affect public land visitor behavior and their satisfaction. I make my comments here based on 25 years of that.

No matter how well written and effective manuals and publications are, they still appear to be worthless to the user if the user doesn't read them and follow the conventions and instructions contained in them.

tvengr

Well Known Member
Bob, ProScan is an excellent program. The program is very versatile with the number of scanners with which it is compatible. I applaud your constant efforts to remove bugs and keep features up to date. I previously already had the Butel software for almost all of the scanners before ProScan came available. I purchased ProScan for 2 reasons. It is the only software for the BC780XLT. ARC780 will not work with later versions of Windows. Secondly, I wanted to be able to assist other members using ProScan who are having problems programming their scanners. ProScan has a learning curve for me also after using Butel software all of these years. As I use ProScan, I will become more familiar and comfortable with it. Anyone just learning to program scanners has a lot of work ahead of them, but it will become much easier as they understand how radio systems work and they become familiar with the software. I have been involved with radio communications all of my life and have done a lot of 2-way radio repair work.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
I just read through the manual again. I had previously read every page and highlighted a lot of lines I anticipated would be helpful. I did this before attempting to connect my scanner or using the software. I can't find any specific instructions on those pages addressing the difference between uploading and downloading. If you can give me a page number and section name I might find it. This brings up one more suggestion, put page numbers in the manual that show up when it is printed. I had a little trouble putting it back together after my wife set up a fan in my office after I stepped out to use the facilities. The pages blew around a bit. Again, my error, but page numbers would be helpful and would also allow you to point me right to the text that explains up and down loading.

I don't want to give the impression that the software is not excellent. I'm just suggesting that for those who are not computer techies, additional instructions would reduce the fumbling around I experienced. I'm retired from the U.S. Forest Service and often found that what we did was correct, in our perspective and based on the science we were educated in. But, correct or not, you can't communicate or educate until you listen to feedback and place yourself in the mind of people who don't have that education and experience. We could not be defensive, we had to screw our heads on differently to find the means to communicate. Not very many people in the agency could do a good job dealing with the public and it isn't easy to reach a point of effectiveness. Largely because it isn't easy placing yourself in someone else's shoes.
Sure I could of worked more on the manual. It would of took a year or more and will be several years behind. I can Then I will get complaints of may take a year to do and
No matter how well written and effective manuals and publications are, they are still worthless if the user doesn't read them and follow the conventions and instructions contained in them.

Sure, I could have done more work on the manual. It would have taken more than a year to do and therefore ProScan would have been several versions behind. I try to make the program as self explanatory as possible. I can gauge where the improvements need to be made based on emails and here. This is the first I've heard of Download and Upload terms getting confused. I think you could have searched the manual for Download and Upload.

I too am retired. City of LA for 31 years. Last 12 as a Field Services manager. I dealt with the public too (probably not as much as you) on site issues. Also Engineering, property managers, contractors, vendors, other departments, various agencies, etc. so I've been there.

{edit}
If you have any additional questions in the future, just ask. No need for the drama.

Last edited:

OldRabbit

Feature Requests:
  1. User configurable interval for saving log files (Recorder Grid Log.txt in particular) to the harddrive.
  2. Command line utility to clear the log files.
Reason:
I import Recorder Grid Log.txt, the ID log file and the history log + recordings to a SQL Database - currently hourly. Combining these files - and with the right structure in the favorite list - I can create a network of communications - assigning recordings to channels -> Departments -> Systems and view them in an application that visualizes them as entity-relationship diagrams. Fusion that data with other sources, and I have a very good base for traffic and intercept analysis.

One 'issue' remains though - How much to record in a single file. Using 'each transmission in new row' gives me a very large number of recordings - and more work when reviewing them. Ideally I would like a parameter like - 'New row (and .wav file) after a configurable number of seconds of non transmission on the frequency.

Having one large recording file eases listening - but I loose the correlation between time and content. Another wild idea - creating a movie file with timestamps in the video track would solve this..

A fairly easy to implement compromise (imho) would be the ability to set the 'new file' interval to say 5 minutes - and allow the importer to call a command utility to clear the logs and recordings from the harddrive after a succesfull import.

Bonus wild idea: :) For the movie file containing recordings with timestamps: Ability to insert bitmaps when specific talkgroups/UID's are active. (Person photos, company logos, fusion with Kerbros SDR and display transmitter location)

I will pay for the upgrade :)

54firefighter

Thank for your quick response back. After several hours and following the instructions word for word I am no further then previous attempts. I think at this time it will be beneficial for my sanity to move on to some other software. thanks again

OldRabbit

54Firefighter - are you attempting to connect to the scanner - using the Web Server in Proscan ?

I have not done this previously, but enabling the web server in Proscan, allowed me to connect to the Web Server in Proscan from another computer (on the same LAN Segment) at <proscan_ip_address:5000>

I can see the scanner display update at the 1 second intervals I specified - and have sound in the web browser.

Are you by any chance trying to connect via the Internet - not locally at home ?