ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
While in USB Mass Storage Mode and AFTER pressing AUTODETECT:
Are you trying to read the favorites from the scanner? If so then don't click on the Comm. Port menu. Instead, go to the Favorites Editor and click on Scanner Read. If you don't have the Favorites Editor window showing then click on the Favorites Editor check box on the far left side of the menu. Then click on File - New then choose a folder or click the New Folder button then click OK.

morrisr3nd

Just kind of taking it all in
Premium Subscriber
Are you trying to read the favorites from the scanner? If so then don't click on the Comm. Port menu. Instead, go to the Favorites Editor and click on Scanner Read. If you don't have the Favorites Editor window showing then click on the Favorites Editor check box on the far left side of the menu. Then click on File - New then choose a folder or click the New Folder button then click OK.
It is NOT giving me that option. It is NOT seeing the port at all Except while scanning. It works fine with Sentinel. Even while in Mass Storage mode. Proscan just isn't seeing it. The Read From SCanner or Write To Scanner is GREYED out while in Mass Storage. It works fine on my other computers at home but I'm traveling today so I can't do what I need to do except with Sentinel. And I don't care for Sentinel that much.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Regarding DNS validation, ProScan listens to the acme challenge (\.well-known\acme-challenge\) on port 80
and sends back the same token that was received.

This webpage describes the process. ProScan uses the HTTP-01 challenge.

Last edited:

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
It is NOT giving me that option. It is NOT seeing the port at all Except while scanning. It works fine with Sentinel. Even while in Mass Storage mode. Proscan just isn't seeing it. The Read From SCanner or Write To Scanner is GREYED out while in Mass Storage. It works fine on my other computers at home but I'm traveling today so I can't do what I need to do except with Sentinel. And I don't care for Sentinel that much.
It's not suppose to see the comm port. When the Scanner is in Mass Storage mode, the scanner is not in Serial Port mode.

It's grayed out because a folder/file is not opened. In The Favorites Editor window, Click the File menu item then click New then choose a folder or click the New Folder box then click OK. Now it should not be grayed out.

Last edited:

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
DNS validation to acquire the keys occurs on port 80. A temporary port forward is all that's necessary to validate and acquire the keys. The incoming "https" requests to access the server and see the secure certificate don't use port 80.
If the ISP is blocking Port 80 (which many do), then any port forwarding you do with your router is utterly pointless, as no incoming requests on Port 80 are ever going to reach you. Cut and dry.

belvdr

No longer interested in living
Regarding DNS validation, ProScan listens to the acme challenge (\.well-known\acme-challenge\) on port 80
and sends back the same token that was received.

This webpage describes the process. ProScan uses the HTTP-01 challenge.
Correct and that’s not DNS validation then. It’s web server validation.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
You are a genius! :) :)
I just didn't see that I had to setup audio again....as you indicated. Thank you very much!
I'm glad that @fxdscon was able to help you. There was a disconnect somewhere because the video you emailed me was of the URL Setup window showing TCP errors when trying to get the scanner audio working.

hunterca

SDS100, BCD325P2
Premium Subscriber
I am at a loss on this one. It's got to be something with my computer.

With Scanner actually scanning:
View attachment 137526

View attachment 137527

View attachment 137528

View attachment 137529
Com ports come into effect while it is in scanning mode not Mass Storage mode. In Mass storage mode, the computer sees it as a USB Memory stick. Close down Poscan and restart it then auto-detect it (While in scanning mode not mass storage mode). This is the work around I use.

morrisr3nd

Just kind of taking it all in
Premium Subscriber
Com ports come into effect while it is in scanning mode not Mass Storage mode. In Mass storage mode, the computer sees it as a USB Memory stick. Close down Poscan and restart it then auto-detect it (While in scanning mode not mass storage mode). This is the work around I use.
I figured out how ignorant I was. Thanks @ProScan and everyone else who helped.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
ProScan shouldn't need to be restarted. It should try to reconnect on it's own. If it doesn't then just click the Auto Detect button.

DannyBoy2k

I'm noticing that ProScan occasionally doesn't append the UID to the recording file name as I have configured:
Screenshot 2023-03-04 at 9.02.31 AM.png
My file name settings:
%TT - %C - %FT - %U1

I've also tried U3 and saw the same thing. Didn't know if it might be a race condition between the scanner providing the information and ProScan resolving the file name it would like to use. Not super critical to me; just something I noticed and that might be able to be resolved.

Thanks for the great software. Love being able to be anywhere and hear my scanner. FYI, since I just went through the process, if you'd like me to try and put together some documentation on getting Let's Encrypt to work with DNS validation generating a certificate for ProScan, I'd be happy to do so. If you consider that out of scope for your manual, that's fine too.

~Dan

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
I'm noticing that ProScan occasionally doesn't append the UID to the recording file name as I have configured:
View attachment 137613
My file name settings:
%TT - %C - %FT - %U1

I've also tried U3 and saw the same thing. Didn't know if it might be a race condition between the scanner providing the information and ProScan resolving the file name it would like to use. Not super critical to me; just something I noticed and that might be able to be resolved.

Thanks for the great software. Love being able to be anywhere and hear my scanner. FYI, since I just went through the process, if you'd like me to try and put together some documentation on getting Let's Encrypt to work with DNS validation generating a certificate for ProScan, I'd be happy to do so. If you consider that out of scope for your manual, that's fine too.

~Dan
I don't think UIDs would work with the recorder as it is now because the recorder is based on channels and many UIDs per channel so the latest UID is logged. I have plans for a new recorder based on UIDs, similar to how the UID Logging tab is separated from the History Logging tab.

Also perhaps the UID sent from the scanner is blank. You could monitor the 'Scanner Data.txt' file to be sure. It needs to be turned on in the Options - General tab.

wqhz937

Premium Subscriber
Not sure if there is a way to do this already, but it would be helpful if a log can be generated for each audio file (vox and activity) that matches up actual transmission time to relative time on the audio file. This would help pinpoint specific incidents without having to hunt through the entire recording. I remember one of the vox recorders did this, but it’s no longer being maintained.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Not sure if there is a way to do this already, but it would be helpful if a log can be generated for each audio file (vox and activity) that matches up actual transmission time to relative time on the audio file. This would help pinpoint specific incidents without having to hunt through the entire recording. I remember one of the vox recorders did this, but it’s no longer being maintained.
I'm guessing you are asking about a separate log then what the Recorder grid shows. Nothing like that in ProScan. I'm not sure what the log will contain or how useful that would be or how it would be synced up as the file is played back.

ProScan supports embedding ID3v2 tags in the recorded mp3 files. The options are in the Options - Recording Text Tags tab. That should solve the problem. I believe audio players such as WinAmp or VLC will display the IDv3 tags during playback.

Last edited:

wqhz937

Premium Subscriber
I'm guessing you are asking about a separate log then what the Recorder grid shows. Nothing like that in ProScan. I'm not sure what the log will contain or how useful that would be or how it would be synced up as the file is played back.

ProScan supports embedding ID3v2 tags in the recorded mp3 files. The options are in the Options - Recording Text Tags tab. That should solve the problem. I believe audio players such as WinAmp or VLC will display the IDv3 tags during playback.
Clarifying what I mean: for example, if there was a transmission at 11:32AM, then I could go to a log, find 11:32AM and it would show to jump to 05:15 in the mp3 recording.

KB3KBR

(ಠ_ಠ) (◣_◢) (。◕‿◕。)
Feed Provider
Clarifying what I mean: for example, if there was a transmission at 11:32AM, then I could go to a log, find 11:32AM and it would show to jump to 05:15 in the mp3 recording.

wouldn't the recorder log already be doing that? I'm not sure i understand "jump to 5:15 in the mp3." The recorder log can show when a transmission starts ends and its length.

abr02

Premium Subscriber
I just bought a Uniden BCT 15x and downloaded Free Scan from a link on RR. Now I sign and when I tried to import the conventional data base, I get a message that says "error retrieving data from Radio Reference. Verify your internet connection, account status and try again. I did, and I get the same message. Now I know the 15x is not digital, but when I tried to import Trunk syatem, I get logged in and have access to that data base, but not the conventional. Any ideas on what to do? Thanks!

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
I just bought a Uniden BCT 15x and downloaded Free Scan from a link on RR. Now I sign and when I tried to import the conventional data base, I get a message that says "error retrieving data from Radio Reference. Verify your internet connection, account status and try again. I did, and I get the same message. Now I know the 15x is not digital, but when I tried to import Trunk syatem, I get logged in and have access to that data base, but not the conventional. Any ideas on what to do? Thanks!
FreeScan? This thread is for ProScan. Completely different software.