Offutt AFB TRS Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

spraguer10_8

I have a PRO-94 and am trying to set up a trunked bank to monitor the TRS on Offutt AFB but I'm not getting anything in trunked mode. I CAN hear conversations when I take the scanner out of trunk mode and lock out what I assume is the data channel.

I'll throw out everything I've done so maybe someone can tell me where I went wrong or what else to do.

1) The RR database identifies it as a Motorola Type II system. Since the frequencies are in the 406-410 range I set it up on the Pro-94 as "E2-UHF' (Motorola Type II, UHF frequencies).

2) Entered following frequencies:
406.350 406.750 407.150 407.550 407.950 408.750 409.550
(These are from from the RR database)

3) Hit SRC to start searching for the data channel.

4) Scanner stops on what I assume is the data channel

5) Nothing. Again, if I turn off trunking and lock out the data channel, I get transmissions.

I've read the manual several times and still can't figure out where the problem is. Greatly appreciate any suggestions.

-Thanks

spraguer10_8

OK. I think I have it figured out. Looks like the base/offset automatically selected by the scanner was incorrect. I changed it to base=406.000 and offset=25.0kHz and now I get trunking with talkgroups.

smithdk

Offutt Trunk

I have the PRO-2052 and I am unable to get it to track the Offutt trunk. I have tried your suggestions and there is no change. Any ideas what to try next. :?:

Pro92

Good luck! several users have tried to programmed their scanner for the air-base & had a hard time. You might want to try sending a "PM" to ECPD275 he may help since he has a DIGITAL Scanner. But that person is in CA. I am in Madison County i can't help you their. I have the PRO-92 but our PD/SO is going to an EDACS system sometime this year.

cellphone

Silent key.
Premium Subscriber
Here are some step by step programming instructions for setting up a UHF trunked system in a PRO-2052.

1. Pick out 7 channels in a bank that does not already contain a trunked system.
2. To put the scanner in trunked programming mode, press and hold the TRUNK button for about 2 seconds until the scanner beeps twice. The bank numbers will start flashing.
3. Press the number of the bank where you wish to program the system.
4. Press the manual or "up arrow" button until "E2-UHF" is displayed on the screen. Then press "Enter" to select.
5. Use manual button to get to the first channel you wish to program. Make sure there is an "M" on the display signifying you are about to program a Motorola trunked frequency.
6. Type in the frequency, press enter. Press Manual to advance to the next channel and type the next frequency. **Make sure the "M" remains o the screen while programming all frequencies. If you hit a wrong button, you may exit trunked programming mode.**
7. After all of the frequencies are programmed, press the "DATA" button. (This is where you program the base and offset frequencies)
8. The display will show "bas 406.000" or a different frequency. If the display shows "bas 406.000" press the "DATA" key. If not, type 406.000 and press enter. Then press the "DATA" key.
9. The display will show "OFS 12.5" or a different frequency. Type "25" and press enter. (This is for the 25.0Khz offset)
10. Now press scan and activate the bank where you just programmed the system.

Once you lock onto the system, press the SEARCH button and you will start seeing talkgroups.

You should now be up and running. If you have any other questions, please PM me.

--Joe

smithdk

Offutt Trunk

Thanks for your help. Finally got it to work. You have to be careful in how you enter the frequencies. I had entered the frequencies while in conventional mode and none had the M next to them. I entered them in trunking mode and everything is working now.
:lol: :lol:

spraguer10_8

Well rats. I haven't been able to get on the computer for a couple of hours to craft a response but I'm glad to see you got it working. BTW, I listened for a while tonight and picked up the following talkgroups (one's with asterisks aren't listed in the RR database)

112 - Nightwatch
176 - Aircraft Maintenance
208 - Flight Service
272 - Base Ops(?)
368 - Maintenance
400 - Fuels
432 - Transportation / Shuttle buses
* 528 - 55 CE (Civil Engineering Squadron)
* 1008 - No idea, only heard it a couple of times so far
* 1744 - 55 SFS (Security Forces)
* 1776 - 55 SFS (Security Forces)

Pro92

AIRFORCE BASE TRS help

:) I glad you find a way to listen to off air-force base. Did you try the person "pm" ECPD275? or how did you figure out the freq & tg's.
Rob.

spraguer10_8

Thanks. No, I didn't PM ECPD275. I got up here back in June and had tried to set it up with no success. When I tried it again just this last time I found a note I had written myself with the base/offset from a website ( http://www.geocities.com/nebraskascan/offutt). Read... "dumb luck."

The tg's are from friend of mine who was also into scanning. Most are the same as in the RR db but I'm trying to verify the one's that are different. If anyone's interested, I'll post as I confirm 'em.

smithdk

Offutt Trunk

No, I didn't PM ECPD275. Once Cellphone mentioned that the 'M' needs to be next to the frequency, I knew that was the problem. Once it was corrected, it worked fine. I also listened to the talkgroups on the Offutt trunk for a while. They do need to update the talkgroup list for the Offutt trunk on this website since the list is hard to come by.

cellphone

Silent key.
Premium Subscriber
It's great to hear that everyone is now listening to the Offutt system. I will update the RR database with the talkgroups that spraguer10_8 has identified. If anyone identifies new talkgroups, or has changes to the ones listed, please make a submission.

Have fun scanning.

--Joe

k4nfo

Hi Folks...I have a PRO-95 and Scancat_Lite Plus. I have programmed in the Offutt frequencies, but have not heard a thing. I think I'm close, but something is still amiss. Any help? Thanks in advance, George.

bsavery

k4nfo said:
Hi Folks...I have a PRO-95 and Scancat_Lite Plus. I have programmed in the Offutt frequencies, but have not heard a thing. I think I'm close, but something is still amiss. Any help? Thanks in advance, George.

I haven't used ScanCat. I used WIN95 for mine.

But in general.. did you set both the bank and the channels for MOT? The Fleetmap to Type II?

The only other thing I can think of might be if you didn't program any talkgroups and have it in Closed Mode. I monitor it with the TGs programmed and run it in Open anyway to see if there's any new ones, but I haven't found any yet.

The other thing might be your location. I don't think they have a very big transmitter. I know mine dies off not too much north of L street. But then I'm running the stock antenna.

Good Luck!
Bob

k4nfo

Bob,

Thanks for the reply. I think I have everything set up correctly, the distance may be a problem though. I'm near 84th and Giles. I'll try getting closer to the base and see what happens...George.

bsavery

k4nfo said:
Bob,

Thanks for the reply. I think I have everything set up correctly, the distance may be a problem though. I'm near 84th and Giles. I'll try getting closer to the base and see what happens...George.

Did you ever get this working? I was in the area today, so I thought I'd check it out. From the Physician's Clinic parking lot, I could barely pick them up. Going north on 84th, I didn't hear anything. Then about Park Drive, I started picking it up again.

Maybe there's a dead zone in their coverage around there that a stock antenna just can't grab enough signal in.

Bob

k4nfo

Bob,

No joy. I can hear comms when I park on the master frequency. That tells me that I have not properly set up the software yet. I may check into Win95 and see if I get better results. 73, George...

bsavery

k4nfo said:
Bob,

No joy. I can hear comms when I park on the master frequency. That tells me that I have not properly set up the software yet. I may check into Win95 and see if I get better results. 73, George...

Yes do! WIN95 makes it so much easier it's not funny. When I tried manually entering both it and Sarpy Co., I found after dumping it to WIN95 that I'd missed setting the bank to MOT.

Not to mention it makes rearraigning things so much easier. I've done it twice now, and am pondering a different way to set things up yet again. As soon as I figure out what i want that is! :?

Have fun!!
Bob

k4nfo

Bob,

Just finished reprograming the radio with WIN95...the Offutt TRS is coming in loud and clear. WIN95 is soooo much easier to use than ScanCat Gold Lite! Oh well...live and learn. Thanks for the interest. 73, George.

rfielder100

Needing programing help for 296d scanner

have a 296d scanner and looking to put in afb freqs but having problems live in bellevue but between douglas and sarpy in scanner i can not figure this out

Status
Not open for further replies.