Oh No! Not another DMR question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim-B

I have a local business's DMR frequencies programmed into my 436 in several ways but I only hear voice on about 5% of the transmissions. I have them programmed in as a conventional system with NAC search on, then as three different single frequency DMR trunked systems - one for each of the three frequencies they are licensed for, then finally as a mototrbo system. The scanner only stops on the frequencies entered as conventional non-trunked. But when it does stop I only hear voice on about 5% of the transmissions. The other 95% of the time it shows color code and slot number but there is no sound. There is only silence. Sometimes the slot number wobbles back and forth between 1 and 2 when there is voice. On the FCC's website I saw that they are licensed for two DMR emissions types - one for voice and one for data. Could it be that the 95% when it is silent are just data transmissions? I do not see "ENC" on the display. Below is a picture of taken during one of the silent times.

The transmisison had just ended when I took the picture so there are no bars on the s-meter. Usually it is maxed out at five bars.

wx5uif

Premium Subscriber
I see the CAP on the bottom. That is a capacity plus system. Likely the keyups that you see is the rest channel with the rest data bursts.

Tim-B

So with that type of system would I hear all the voice transmissions by simply leaving it programmed as a conventional system with each of the three frequencies set to NAC/ColorCode search? I don't know that much about DMR and the articles I have read seem to be written for those who already understand the terminology unique to DMR.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Start again...this time program it as a CAP + system and it will trunk track it properly and show talk groups. If you leave it as a conventional system, it will hang up on the rest channel (Which is what you're picture looks like). DMR and MotoTRBO systems work best when programmed properly. Take your time, do it right and you'll have better results..good luck.

Tim-B

Okay, so in the programming menu I see two DMR choices - one for single frequency system and one for MotoTRBO but not one for capacity plus. Should I use MotoTRBO and put in all three frequencies? I tried it before but didn't hear anything but then again I didn't try for very long. Could be they just didn't talk at that time.

budevans

Okay, so in the programming menu I see two DMR choices - one for single frequency system and one for MotoTRBO but not one for capacity plus. Should I use MotoTRBO and put in all three frequencies? I tried it before but didn't hear anything but then again I didn't try for very long. Could be they just didn't talk at that time.

Per your photo, it's a CAP system. So select MotoTRBO Trunk. If there is more than one frequency for this system, you will have to enter them in LCN order. If you don't know the LCN order (number), you can use the LCN Finder feature to determine them.

Here's a link to the Uniden Wiki. Scroll down the page to see the info on programming DMR Trunk systems and using LCN Finder.
DigitalMobileRadioUpgrade < UnidenMan4 < TWiki

Last edited:

Tim-B

Okay, I will try programming it as a MotoTRBO again. I may not have had the correct freq in the number 1 position last time when I tried to use the analyze function to find the LCN.

budevans

Okay, I will try programming it as a MotoTRBO again. I may not have had the correct freq in the number 1 position last time when I tried to use the analyze function to find the LCN.

The frequency you have may not be LCN 01, it could be any number. The Analyze LCN Finder will determine which LCN number it is.

If you have several frequencies that you think might belong to this system, you should enter them and run LCN Finder.

Depending on how active the system is it could take a while (Uniden suggests running it for up to 8 hours). You will see the progress on your scanners display. When you are done with the Finder, remember to do a Save. You will be prompted.

After the LCN Finder finds and sets the LCN number(s), you should do an upload from your scanner to Sentinel. If you download from Sentinel to your scanner without first saving the found LCN(s) back to Sentinel, they will be over written.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
I think you mentioned 3 frequencies? What has worked for me is starting off with the lowest frequency in LCN 1 and go up from there. If you're listening and appear to be missing transmissions, do the old switch-a-roo with the frequencies and see what combo works. The LCN finder might take a long time if the system isn't too busy. You got this!

Status
Not open for further replies.