Ohio Amateur Radio....

Status
Not open for further replies.

SLWilson

Hello All.....

I'm getting close to "being able" to retire. I'll have my thirty years in in October.....Now I may NOT leave then, but, I'd like to hear from any Amateurs out there....

I have my General ticket. I've had it for a little over a year now. I got my Tech way back when Morse Code was required in the early 80's....

However, I never have taken the plunge to get myself a decent HF rig. I've got a great 2M/440 Yeasu VX-6 and a Yeasu 2M/440 rig in my truck.

So, I'm asking, what would be a decent, reasonably priced HF radio for someone starting out in the General Class that doesn't have a ton of $$$$ to spend? I've been around radios my whole adult life as far as public safety goes, but, not too many Amateur rigs (other than the 2M stuff we use locally)...

Any replies are greatly appreciated! Since I'm IN Ohio, I put this here. I suppose that someone may straighten me out over where it should be....

Steve/KB8FAR :)

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Sorry I can't be of much help since I dont own any radio that I would suggest for you to get. However, I would suggest that you not get a mobile unless you are going to actually use it mobile. The mobiles have all of their functions condensed in so few buttons that it really gets tedious to use them a lot when you're just chilling out at home and wanting to tune around. Whatever you get, get one that is not mobile. Obviously the more buttons, the better the eye candy - but the better reason for getting one with a lot of the functions on separate buttons is for simple ease of use. That's something to think about if you're no longer a spring chicken. I'm 41 and my body is going to hell in a handbasket rofl. I just can't see what i used to see, and the small displays on the mobiles are really just no fun to look at for any length of time - and having to think about what 5 buttons and knobs I have to hit just to turn a noise blanker on or off is annoying as hell.

Mike

SLWilson said:
Hello All.....

I'm getting close to "being able" to retire. I'll have my thirty years in in October.....Now I may NOT leave then, but, I'd like to hear from any Amateurs out there....

I have my General ticket. I've had it for a little over a year now. I got my Tech way back when Morse Code was required in the early 80's....

However, I never have taken the plunge to get myself a decent HF rig. I've got a great 2M/440 Yeasu VX-6 and a Yeasu 2M/440 rig in my truck.

So, I'm asking, what would be a decent, reasonably priced HF radio for someone starting out in the General Class that doesn't have a ton of $$$$ to spend? I've been around radios my whole adult life as far as public safety goes, but, not too many Amateur rigs (other than the 2M stuff we use locally)...

Any replies are greatly appreciated! Since I'm IN Ohio, I put this here. I suppose that someone may straighten me out over where it should be....

Steve/KB8FAR :)

KR4BD

I am sure you will get lots of opinions on this. If money is "an issue", I would look at these used rigs:

Kenwood TS-140....

A great, all-around, 100 watt, VERY EASY to operate rig which offers good performance. These rigs were "New" in the 1980's and could probably be found for a few hundred dollars or less depending on condition.

Kenwood TS-680....

Virtually the same as a TS-140, but also offers full coverage on 6 meters with 10 watts (100 watts on HF bands). These are a bit harder to find and will cost a little more.

Kenwood TS-690.... A step above the two rigs (above) which covers 6 meters through 160 meters. A similar rig WITHOUT 6 meters is the Kenwood TS-450.

Other rigs....

The ICOM IC-706 is a good, but very compact rig which is a bit more "menu driven" with very tiny buttons. I like this radio, but it takes a bit more thinking to use all the features. I have owned the "plain" version of the 706 and currently have the latest 706MkIIG version. These rigs were around $800 to $1200 when new (late 90's to present) depending on features installed. I have seen nice ones selling for about half these prices at hamfests.

I have owned (or still own) all the above transceivers and have had ZERO problems with them. They all cover the WARC bands, too. You will also need at least a 20 AMP, 12 volt DC power supply for any of these.

Good luck.

Tom, KR4BD

HIP

Best choice

I personnaly Love My Kenwood TS2000 base it coers all bands and is the most complete bang for the buck when I say all bands it is the only HF base that also covers 2m and 440.I highly recommend looking at the www.eham.net websit it probably has the the best selection of usr reviews of all rigs on the net.:0)

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
How much you are looking to spend - tops?

I can vouch for the Icom 706MKIIG, and I'd vouch for all the Kenwood TSs mentioned, since I had a TS-530 and it was a champ. Plus I know other folks who have TSs and I've not heard a bad thing about them.

Also be sure to give some thought to your antenna. Buying a rig is easy; planning the type and location of antenna took some careful thought (avoiding power lines, hiding feed lines from the kids, what bands to cover, etc).

W8OSP

Steve.. Get the TS-2000 Best bang for the buck. Does all the digital stuff like packet, aprs, psk and rtty. Built in antenna tuner. 160m - 70cm. 100 wts on 2m and 50wts on 70cm. All ya need is a power supply and antennas!! I will be buying acouple very soon i hope! Yes i mean 2 of them. Yeah its not the best at one thing but does alot of things better than most.
Stick up acouple verticals or long wires and your golden!! Take care Steve.

w8mkh

The ICOM 718 is a great hf rig and is $549 new
with dsp included
When you get hf try the buffalo 10 meter net on thursdays at 9 pm
on 28.405 locals from wood wirt ritchie jackson wv and washington athens miegs morgan check in
73 mike w8mkh

scansomd

The best bang for your buck

I don't know what you consider high dollar, but the Kenwood TS-2000 has (IMHO) the most band coverage, with the best specifications, for the least amount money. See for yourself. Look at the available radios side by side and make your own judgment.

Status
Not open for further replies.