Ohio County installing new towers - upgrading system

Status
Not open for further replies.

calwxman

According to an article in today Wheeling Intelligencer, Ohio County is adding three new towers to upgrade to a 3.6 million dollar 450 MHz system. The three towers for the system will be at the Highlands, West Liberty, and Bethlehem. There current system is over 30 years old and needs replaced. The new system is going to be used by sheriff deputies, volunteer fire departments, and the emergency management.

City of Wheeling is staying on the 800 MHz system as they tried to stop the county in 2006 to build the new system because Wheeling's system had enough bandwidth for the county and city. Ohio County also decided to go to this 450 MHz system cause other areas in the state are, according to the article.

Full article:
http://theintelligencer.net/page/content.detail/id/507736.html?nav=515

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin

Mylan

Feed Provider
That new system sucks really bad.... it is the absolute worst digital system I've ever heard.

The current users always have to repeat what they say cause many of their transmissions "go digital" as they call it.

ohio's marcs blows this crap of a system out of the water.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
According to FCC records, two of the new towers are at locations almost identical to the ones listed in the original license... I just assumed that the towers weren't up yet ( Highlands and West Lib). This system is actually online? And if so, who is actually using it in Ohio Co?

I assume this is part of the WVIRP?

Mike

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
mtindor said:
According to FCC records, two of the new towers are at locations almost identical to the ones listed in the original license... I just assumed that the towers weren't up yet ( Highlands and West Lib). This system is actually online? And if so, who is actually using it in Ohio Co?

I assume this is part of the WVIRP?

Mike

Ok, looking at the RRDB it looks like there really is nothing going on on this system (in Ohio Co) at the moment... I'm guessing some occasional testing or something? Or is the RRDB just not up to date with regard to the latest activity locally on that system?

Mike

Mylan

Feed Provider
I can pick up the fairview site up here with consistent reception(I think thats what it is from) and on that site I hear talkgroups from mon, marion, and harrison county. There aint crap goin on in ohio county...

Mylan

Feed Provider
I'm jus sayin that ohio co. is currently not utilizing the state system at all. they do need to do something though 'cause The OCSD's present hi band repeater is plagued with noise problems and has been for years... I cant believe that the techs they have not been able to fix that. ( When the transmission repeats, the repeater gets hung up and produces an annoying noise/static that lasts several seconds.)

durango5550

Booger D.
Ill never understand why ohio county doesn't get on the 800 system with wheeling. Just goes to show you that the two seperate goverments can't agree on anything. ( metro government would solve that ). No reason to spend 3.6 million when they could just use the 800 system at probally half the cost.

Hope they get it up and running soon cause as Mylan has mentioned the current system sucks A$$ :)

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.