Ohio EPA Statewide VHF

Status
Not open for further replies.

tweiss3

Is it time for Coffee?
Premium Subscriber
Can someone shed a light on the 16 VHF frequencies in the database: Ohio - Federal Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

I listen to them, but the only things I hear sound like a dial up modem. I tried searching the FCC database, but I don't see anything ever owned by the State for EPA use, even in expired listings. I do see the same frequencies used by many PD/FD. I'm wondering where these came from. I understand OEPA is probably only using MARCS now, but it's something that's going to bug me until I find out.

ecps92

Last time I saw info on an EPA Radio they were moving to P25, but the same 1-9, and 15-16
Can someone shed a light on the 16 VHF frequencies in the database: Ohio - Federal Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

I listen to them, but the only things I hear sound like a dial up modem. I tried searching the FCC database, but I don't see anything ever owned by the State for EPA use, even in expired listings. I do see the same frequencies used by many PD/FD. I'm wondering where these came from. I understand OEPA is probably only using MARCS now, but it's something that's going to bug me until I find out.

amcferrin90

Premium Subscriber

Just clarifying, you're hearing DTMF phone digits? If so that is the siren control codes to turn on/off, test and request status/diag info. I haven't looked but I imagine those are simplex frequencies or maybe a split duplex TX/RX pairing? You'd have strong signal for the transmitters and weaker signal of the sirens responding back. In Franklin Co the VHF system was on a repeater or used to be. You could hear both outbound and remote inbound digits plus the live audio going out to the sirens for broadcast. Every Wednesday you could hear digits for a while after the test which I figured were diagnostic results.

Status
Not open for further replies.