Ohio Fire Departments switching to High Band???

Status
Not open for further replies.

avguy7

I was talking with a couple of volunteer firemen from Medina County about
a particular model of scanner the other day mentioning that it would work fine for monitoring
their traffic. They then wanted to know if that model would work for them next year. When I asked
why it wouldn't, they told me that all FD's in Ohio would be switching to "high band" in
July 2012. I have heard absolutely NOTHING about any changes of this nature. Has anyone heard anything
about this? Also, when I hear the term "high band", I think of VHF. Most of the village and township fire departments in Medina Co currently use a high profile county-wide UHF repeater link so I can't see them switching to VHF. Could they be referring to 800Mhz trunking?

avguy7

re: Ohio FD's switching to "high band"

I wasn't even thinking about the narrow band mandate a year from now....That's probably what they are
referring to. They just had me wondering when they used the term "high band". I couldn't see them
switching to a digital trunked system because unlike Cuyahoga county, the majority of the FD's are village and township departments who simply couldn't affford the cost of switching radios. Also, most use volunteers who often have to buy their own equipment and there's no way they can expect these guys to shell out $2000 for a radio either.

Thanks all for the input.

BTW: To the first poster, the model of the scanner wasn't an issue, but to answer your question,
it was a RS PRO-164 which would be fine since they use a single frequency UHF repeater system..

r_eugene1

I wasn't even thinking about the narrow band mandate a year from now....That's probably what they are
referring to. They just had me wondering when they used the term "high band". I couldn't see them
switching to a digital trunked system because unlike Cuyahoga county, the majority of the FD's are village and township departments who simply couldn't affford the cost of switching radios. Also, most use volunteers who often have to buy their own equipment and there's no way they can expect these guys to shell out $2000 for a radio either.

Thanks all for the input.

BTW: To the first poster, the model of the scanner wasn't an issue, but to answer your question,
it was a RS PRO-164 which would be fine since they use a single frequency UHF repeater system..
I believe Medina County is on UHF band 450-460 mhz. They may be switching to Ohio MARCS P25 system later on but not sure on it.
Medina County, Ohio (OH) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference
As for the fire fighters and emt's having to purchase their own radios I find that hard to believe. I know several different volunteers from several different depts. and the county/city furnishes all the radios for them to use as long as they are members of the department.

Status
Not open for further replies.