OHIO MARCS - Holiday Weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.

SLWilson

Gallia County: Just overheard one of the Post 27 Troopers say he wanted to take a ballbat to his new MDT. Been listening for a while & it seems like all of the SE Ohio units are having MDT problems. All of this "logging" everything they do seems like it will cut down on their ability to ENFORCE the traffic lwas at their usual pace!!!! Steve :confused:

CVPI4Ever

What was wrong with the conventional way? Any agency I have been a part of didnt have MDT's.

I wish I could hear MARCS

SLWilson

Pretty Much ALL by Radiio Now....

Just about all of their traffic now is being radioed in. Must have gotten tired of fooling with the "No Connectivity" issues....Steve :confused:

bigbluemsp

MDTs have made cops lazy. No matter what the computer is capable of doing they should still call out all their stops. Is the computer going to call someone when they stop a car and are getting their ass handed to them on the side of a road? Nope.. At least the other cars will know where to respond if they can't answer a their radio when crap hits the fan

CVPI4Ever

My buddy is a small town police officer whos dept owns 3 cruisers, all MDT equipped. He always calls out his stops as a general practice.

ShawnCowden

OSP should also dispatch their calls out via radio also. I would wish OSP would become a state police insted of highway patrol. Should be a mandate for all states to go to state police. I just think since after 9/11 we need this

ShawnCowden

Well I gotta disagree but I was born and raised in Kentucky so I'm use to KSP. I live in fairfield County and do think we in this county should have a combined 911 center. Easier to share info. also could help with the police budget cost here

SLWilson

SLWilson said:
Just about all of their traffic now is being radioed in. Must have gotten tired of fooling with the "No Connectivity" issues....Steve :confused:
In listening more this afternoon, one troober said his MDT might make a good armrest. Another one wanted to take a ballbat to his. :(

I don't know if the patrol is slipping, or, if they just don't know people CAN still hear them if they buy the right scanner, but, they NEVER used to just "BS" like that over the air!!! :confused:

Been kinda interesting and very entertaining most of the afternoon / evening.... Steve/Gallia

radioscan

Radio Sensei
Database Admin
OSP Plane was up and operated in four different counties throughout
the day Saturday here in SW Ohio. Before finishing up this evening with
Post 55 Piqua, he stated he would back in the area tomorrow (Sunday).

As long as the weather stays dry we can expect this through the 4th!

CVPI4Ever

I actually saw one of the OSHP Motorcycles for the first time the other day on I-71S in Columbus on a traffic stop. Not alot of lights on them to make them visible. That or they arent using alot of lights like the new lightbars they have where they only use the lower level lights instead of the full light bar.

The motorcycles OSHP is using is the Harley Davidson FLHTPI Electra Glide

Here is the information on them on the HD website

http://www.harley-davidson.com/PR/MO...section=police

They completed their training at the Northwestern University Center for Public Safety in Evanston, IL where Harley Davidson has a school for police motorcycle training.

http://server.traffic.northwestern.edu/

kc8rak

Post 28 units were all over Lake County on Sat. I never seen them so much. On Thursday evening they had 4 of them working the Lake/Ashtabula county line section of I90 using Post 28 Tac TG.

John

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
CVPI4Ever said:
We dont need a State Police. OSHP is fine where they are at.

Concur. There is a conflict of responsibilities, which is one of the reasons the Ohio legislature established OSHP to patrol the highways... only. Once they become state police, more and more of the resources get spent handling local incidents and more and more resources get taken away from the highways.

Tom

traumacop

Premium Subscriber
Not sure if it was just my area or not, but I kept having a problem with the audio dropping out yesterday in addition to everyone calling in the plates.

I even heard the dispatcher requesting units to resend traffic due to dropped audio.

SLWilson

Starting again this morning...

traumacop said:
Not sure if it was just my area or not, but I kept having a problem with the audio dropping out yesterday in addition to everyone calling in the plates. I even heard the dispatcher requesting units to resend traffic due to dropped audio.

It's starting again this morning. (Monday)...The units are saying they can't get any coverage for the MDT's....Steve/Gallia :(

BigJimbo

Premium Subscriber
Marcs

ShawnCowden said:
OSP should also dispatch their calls out via radio also. I would wish OSP would become a state police insted of highway patrol. Should be a mandate for all states to go to state police. I just think since after 9/11 we need this

Unless OSP does things different where you live, they dispatch all their calls over the radio in Districts 5 and 8. They do send emails (when the MCT's are working) I have noticed when the MCT's are "in coverage" and they make a traffic stop, they enter the registration and location on their computer and transmit it, but they also radio in that they are "signal 3" and give their location, minus the registration. That's the only way I know the computers are having a good day- which isn't very often.

Status
Not open for further replies.