Ohio MARCS OSP Talkgroups

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigJimbo

Premium Subscriber
While running my 396 on search (same as open mode for RS users) I am hearing OSP traffic on talkgroup numbers that are exactly 3 digits higher than the post Talkgroup numbers. e.g. Piqua Post's TG is 1472, I hear them on 1475.

Now, I know from earlier posts that this can be used as a patch when a dispatcher takes a break, or calls off, etc. The strange thing here is that I pick up the higher number talkgroup and STILL hear the regular dispatcher for the post.

The Dayton post 57 (and 68) use this quite frequently. I have also heard 29 and 14 the same way......

Anyone have any idea why this is happening?

Thanks ahead of time

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
Because they are patching with another talkgroup.

16b

Premium Subscriber
To expand a bit:
Talkgroup ID plus three means a two-way crosspatch between talkgroups. So the talkgroups you are hearing are most certainly being patched to something else, it just might not be another post's talkgroup (which would be why you don't hear another post's dispatcher). I have no idea what the reason for this would be; I can only suggest quickly putting you radio back into search when you hear something like this to try to find the other talkgroup. I don't know this much about Motorola Smartzone systems, but I imagine it's possible that the other talkgroup doesn't even have to be affiliated on the site you are listening to.

FPO703

Quite often while one post's dispatcher goes signal 1 (Out of Service) or on lunch break, a neighboring post will take over the CAD & the respective talkgroups will be patched together.

k9gunner

Hey Jim, I just bought a 996T just for MARCS in my cruiser. I may hot ya up for some programming help if you dont mind. I am in Brookville.

BigJimbo

Premium Subscriber
Ohio MARCS Talkgroups

RDale, wow, thanks......that was helpful.

FPO.......read sentence 2 of my post.

16...thanks. I will give that a try.

K9......Send me a PM...would be glad to help

rdale

Premium Subscriber
No problem, I know how trunking can be confusing to many people. Have you locked that talkgroup out while scanning to find out the other talkgroup they are patching with?

BigJimbo

Premium Subscriber
Dale-

I have done that. I believe the patch is usually affiliated with a tower other than Dayton's. I've also noticed that when they do patch, I cant hear them on their regular TG while the patch is active.

rdale

Premium Subscriber
That'd change if you switched the status bit option.

BigJimbo

Premium Subscriber
Ohio MARCS Talkgroups

Ok, Dale, my status bit was set to "yes" I will now set it to "ignore" I am assuming that will pickup the original talkgroups thereby eliminating the need to have the patch tg id programmed in? Correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.