Ohio MARCS

1984csh

Premium Subscriber
Defiance County Ohio is going to put up a second communication tower for the Ohio MARCS system after they put it online does that mean the County will be Simulcast system now ?

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Defiance County Ohio is going to put up a second communication tower for the Ohio MARCS system after they put it online does that mean the County will be Simulcast system now ?

I doubt it. Not likely that any county in Ohio would have adequate coverage with a two-site simulcast. And none of the freqs on the new Hicksville site license are the same as any of the freqs on the existing Defiance site license. So I'd say no.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Thanks for the feedback I'm really hoping I don't have to upgrade scanners

If you can pull in at least one MARCS site just fine, then no you aren't going to need to purchase another scanner just to be able to copy the new site when it comes online. Of course, depending upon where you are, you may or may not be close enough to receive the new site when it comes online.

Mike

1984csh

Premium Subscriber
If you can pull in at least one MARCS site just fine, then no you aren't going to need to purchase another scanner just to be able to copy the new site when it comes online. Of course, depending upon where you are, you may or may not be close enough to receive the new site when it comes online.

Mike
The new tower will actually be closer to me then the one they already us. The new tower is going to be 180 ft tall and be about 10 minutes away from me but my question is if it's not going to be Simulcast and not be connected to the current tower to cover the dead spot in the county why would the sheriff's office need it ?

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
The new tower will actually be closer to me then the one they already us. The new tower is going to be 180 ft tall and be about 10 minutes away from me but my question is if it's not going to be Simulcast and not be connected to the current tower to cover the dead spot in the county why would the sheriff's office need it ?

I didn't say it wasn't going to "be connected". MARCS is a networked system. You asked if it was going to be simulcast, and I said i doubt it. Frequency lineup is different for each site (telltale sign right there) and there are only two or three sites in the whole county -- likely not enough for them to provide simulcast coverage if they wanted.

Perhaps you don't quite understand what it means to be a simulcast. A simulcast cell consists of multiple towers, transmitting the exact same traffic at the exact same time on all the same frequencies from varying locations (usually within a county). In this case the towers are standalone towers with their own separate sets of frequencies and traffic on them. That doesn't mean that if the SO is closer to Hickville they won't be using the Hickville tower. I'm sure the larger agencies in the county will likely be heard on both towers simply because there will be radios all over the county on those particular talkgroups and some will be in the Defiance area and some in the Hickville area.