Ohio ODOT

Status
Not open for further replies.

nikealli25

I was wondering if anyone out there knows how I can pick up the Ohio ODOT. If any one does please let me know. I am located in Findlay Ohio. All help is appreciated.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Take a look here:

Ohio Department of Transportation (ODOT) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

You're in District 1, and your county borders District 2. Use your judgement and program in what you think you want to hear.

Low Band is the normal band for ODOT in most, if not all areas still. So you'll likely be looking for activity on the 47.xx frequencies.

NOTE: you may have multiple 47.xx frequencies assigned to your district, but it is likely that only one of them is currently in use... at least from my past experience. ODOT seems to like to mix things up in my district every couple of years, so one year you might hear the ODOT crews on one 47.xx freq, and then a few years later they change their normal comms to another 47.xx freq.

Perhaps others in Hancock Co and surrounding areas will post here and let you know what the "active" frequencies for ODOT are this winter season [I'm assuming you want to hear the snow plows].

Mike

nikealli25

Yes you are correct. I was aware that they were on Marcs so that I why I am asking. I currently have Hancock, Wyandot and Deshler programed in my scanner. I was just wondering if any one knew that information.

bucknut937

Premium Subscriber
has anyone been able to pick up ODOT on marcs or they still on there old vhf because it's the winter time and i would like to hear about the roads with the snow plows

Colin9690

Delaware County, OH
Premium Subscriber
has anyone been able to pick up ODOT on marcs or they still on there old vhf because it's the winter time and i would like to hear about the roads with the snow plows

Low Band is the normal band for ODOT in most, if not all areas still. So you'll likely be looking for activity on the 47.xx frequencies.

Check the Database for the low band frequencie(s) in use in your area.

kbrooks190

We are still using lowband frequencies at ODOT in our snow trucks and for daily communication. We have a few MARCS radios that are used for patroling Columbus, Dayton, and the Toledo area to assist motorists with flat tires, car problems, etc...

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
I have those set on my Pro96 scanner. I am not hearing anything. Please let me know,

Give it a chance. In the wintertime, unless there is an active storm happening, you won't hear much. Also keep in mind these are simplex frequencies. You may have difficulty hearing the mobiles or even the bases at the ODOT outposts. The outposts are usually pretty strong, but if you are using the stock antenna on the PRO-96 [and especially if you aren't in a great location, such as low elevation, in a basement, etc] you are really going to have a hard time hearing the mobiles because the stock antenna just can't pick up lowband very well.

Mike

radioscan

Radio Sensei
Database Admin
Give it a chance. In the wintertime, unless there is an active storm happening, you won't hear much. Also keep in mind these are simplex frequencies. You may have difficulty hearing the mobiles or even the bases at the ODOT outposts. The outposts are usually pretty strong, but if you are using the stock antenna on the PRO-96 [and especially if you aren't in a great location, such as low elevation, in a basement, etc] you are really going to have a hard time hearing the mobiles because the stock antenna just can't pick up lowband very well.

Mike

Yes, the best chance to hear ODOT is to be very near them or use an outdoor antenna with low band coverage as high up as possible.

85chevy4x4

They use the VHF lowband. Each district has MARCS talkgroups set aside according to the database but the only ones I've ever seen key up are the freeway patrol guys in Akron, also once last year I heard some guys on the MARCS statewide ODOT talk group( ODOT MAIN) talk about some signs that needed replaced. They were down in Chilicothe

kbrooks

Premium Subscriber
ODOT plow trucks all use VHF lowband Statewide. ODOT does have some MARCS radios that are used by our Freeway Service Patols, Emergency operations with our Districts, and soon we will have them in each county for administrative use. However, for snow and ice operations we still use lowband frequencies between county garage and trucks.

mmartinfan

Banned
ODOT plow trucks all use VHF lowband Statewide. ODOT does have some MARCS radios that are used by our Freeway Service Patols, Emergency operations with our Districts, and soon we will have them in each county for administrative use. However, for snow and ice operations we still use lowband frequencies between county garage and trucks.

And are they annoying when they talk back and forth, play music and cuss and swear!

Bucko

At least from Caldwell down to Marietta area they use 47.400 as the primary and 47.22. The 47.22 is pretty much talk between trucks and flag men talkies. I find snow plows including county and twp's interesting when things are pretty bad. Marietta's District 10 recently removed their Low Band antenna including the tower which was located on the Hill behind their headquarters. Since then I have not heard much out of District 10 on 47.40. just Caldwell & McConnelsville.

lowband ht1250 35-50MHZ

i was useing a motorola ht1250 lowband portable to monitor ODOT works great i'm going to sell the radio soon its on ebay from $339 to $500 so asking $250 with battery and charger should sell fast.my friend is going to post it on ebay soon for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.