Ohio State Patrol

Status
Not open for further replies.

chromics

Premium Subscriber
I'm using a BC796D with ARC250 software. I've posted several posts and am starting to understand trunking with help of many forum members.

With my current (lame) setup, the internet loading is restricted to just frequencies. Many people have told me to just let the internet import feature do the work, but I'm limited to copy and paste.

I'm listening to the local conventional frequencies fine, but I'm not picking up any OSP with all of their published frequencies loaded.

Should the OSP frequencies be flagged as trunk or conventional? After I set the right default, is there anything else I have to do?

Everyone has been a great help and I appreciate it.

DickH

I'm using a BC796D with ARC250 software. I've posted several posts and am starting to understand trunking with help of many forum members.

With my current (lame) setup, the internet loading is restricted to just frequencies. Many people have told me to just let the internet import feature do the work, but I'm limited to copy and paste.

I'm listening to the local conventional frequencies fine, but I'm not picking up any OSP with all of their published frequencies loaded.

Should the OSP frequencies be flagged as trunk or conventional? After I set the right default, is there anything else I have to do?

Are you getting the freqs. from the RR database? I don't see a trunked system for OSP there. Are they using the Ohio MARCS system?

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Here's what I came up with on the Ohio MARCS for the Medina area, presuming I did it correctly. Talkgroups for Post 3 were included.

After you unzip it, the file should open with ARC.

I did not enter any conventional frequencies. You should be able to add them via Web Service. Also, you'll need to modify the bank tags, except for Bank 1, which has the MARCS.

Last edited:

DickH

If you are not clear about trunking, this may help.

MOTOROLA TRUNKING
The object of trunking is to allow many users to share a relatively few frequencies.
A trunking system is controlled by a computer. Information (data) is exchanged between the system radios and the computer on a control channel, sometimes called a data channel. It sounds like a strong buzz.

A large system can have up to 28 freqs., 4 of which may be used as control channels. The control channel may be changed once a day or as often as the programmer decides. Some scanners need only the control channels to track an entire system. Just put in the 4 Control Channels.

Each group of users (Fire, Police, etc.) is assigned TALK GROUPS. In a Motorola Type II system, the most common type, TGs are usually in 32 number steps starting with 16 and going up to 65536; 16, 48, 80 --- 4656, 4688, 4720 --- 28944, 28976, etc. System radios can have more than 100 TGs programmed into them.

After all the freqs. have been entered and it is "trunking", the Banks become SCAN LISTS where you enter the Talk Groups you want to hear. Use the Talk Group numbers in the DEC column.

When a user pushes the talk button on his radio, data is sent to the computer. The computer chooses an unused freq. and sends that data to all the radios using the TG of the originating unit. This all happens in a fraction of a second and it happens EVERY TIME a radio is used.

EXAMPLE:
Fire Dispatch calling Engine 4 (TG 4528 on 856.7125)
Engine 4 answering Dispatch (TG 4528 on 852.2625)
Respond to 73 Elm Street (TG 4528 on 855.9625)
Engine 4 responding (TG 4528 on 851.6375)

If you have entered TG 4528 into your scanner, it will decode the control channel data and change your scanner freqs. to follow the conversation on TG 4528.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
You won't hear anything on conventional channels. OSHP uses Ohio MARCS. Click on the link and program the site closest to you. They could operate on any of the Post talkgroups around this site. OSHP has been combining dispatch where 1 post may dispatch for several surrounding posts. You can listen without any talkgroups but you will receive everyone on that site.

As of March 2015 they should be on the new Ohio MARCS-IP P25 system as the old system is scheduled to be turned off.

Your BC796D will not work on the new system because the system uses 700 MHz. frequencies which the BC796D can not receive.

Also you should go into your RR profile and include your city/county which will display on your posts. This will tell us where you are and we can provide more information as to sites and talkgroups.

Click on your user name, in yellow at the top of the page, add you location, and click Save All Changes.

Someone above mentioned Medina (Post 52) if this is your area of interest.

16672 POST52 OSP Post 52 (Medina)

This is in District 3. Enter all the adjacent D3 post's dispatch TGs incase they dispatch for Medina:

Also Include:
16784 D03-EVT1
26768 LEERN 52
which they use for a lot of car to car and chit chat.

This will cover the majority of traffic in your area.

Forget about the Tac TGs they are all encrypted.

Also if you post in the Ohio forum you will get replies from people familiar with your area and systems and not thousands of miles away.

Last edited:

chromics

Premium Subscriber
Thanks everyone for the help I appreciate your responses. I'll study these replies and give it a shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.