Ohio State Police Lightbar mounted equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SurgePGH

Premium Subscriber
While travelling Rt 70 through Ohio yesterday I noticed multiple OSP cruisers with a large device mounted to the top, driver side of the lightbar. Looked to be 12 inches high and 12 inches long. Shaped like and inverted L. Some type of specialty antenna or laser device? Hard to describe but saw quite a few yesterday. I am aware of what standard radar antennas look like and these were quite a bit larger than those. Any ideas?

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
While travelling Rt 70 through Ohio yesterday I noticed multiple OSP cruisers with a large device mounted to the top, driver side of the lightbar. Looked to be 12 inches high and 12 inches long. Shaped like and inverted L. Some type of specialty antenna or laser device? Hard to describe but saw quite a few yesterday. I am aware of what standard radar antennas look like and these were quite a bit larger than those. Any ideas?

Quite a few OSP cruisers have the radar antenna mounted there, so that's likely what it was.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
This was on the TOP of the lightbar and quite a bit larger than ANY radar antenna that I have seen before.

Yes, that is their radar antenna. They are waterproof/heavy duty and designed for exterior/high speed operation.

Previously mounted inside the vehicles, the radiation from the antenna was causing cancer, thereby facilitating the movement of the antenna to a safer location.

ant_on_car_close.jpg

Last edited:

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
Lost many friends to it. We used the handhelds a lot and many guys would lay it in their lap when not using it which resulted in testicular cancer. I always placed it on the passenger seat facing away from me.

wtp

years ago

i heard years ago that the instant on radar never stopped transmitting and "pulling the trigger" was just to get a reading. so it would have been in their laps and on.

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
i heard years ago that the instant on radar never stopped transmitting and "pulling the trigger" was just to get a reading. so it would have been in their laps and on.

That's crazy. But makes sense why it would have to be always on..

SurgePGH

Premium Subscriber
Yes, that is their radar antenna. They are waterproof/heavy duty and designed for exterior/high speed operation.

Previously mounted inside the vehicles, the radiation from the antenna was causing cancer, thereby facilitating the movement of the antenna to a safer location.

ant_on_car_close.jpg

I suppose at a distance that could have been it. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.