OHP abandoning Low Earth Orbit Satellite System

Status
Not open for further replies.

gcouch

If anybody is interested, OHP is abandoning their LEO system much to the disappointment of several troopers I talked to. The system was characterized by the "shark fin" looking antenna on top of the unit. They used that system for wireless data such as running MobileCop software. They are changing over to cellular air cards. They use Cingular and Sprint depending on where the trooper is assigned.

car2back

A trooper friend of mine hated the satellite system, he said the lag was terrible, even when using OLETS. Hope the cell system works better for them!

gcouch

Yeah, some didn't like it. The main complaint I am hearing is the lack of coverage for the air cards. Guess no system is going to be perfect.

car2back

When I was at Skiatook I had one of the Osage Troopers teletype me a warrant request from the car via the satellite system, then call me 10mins later asking if I'd gotten it... didn't get it for another 10mins! He says with the aircards atleast when he has service it works!

mfolta1

When I was at Skiatook I had one of the Osage Troopers teletype me a warrant request from the car via the satellite system, then call me 10mins later asking if I'd gotten it... didn't get it for another 10mins! He says with the aircards atleast when he has service it works!

you aint at skiatook anymore?

Status
Not open for further replies.