OHP Cherokee relay I-40 west 154.905

Status
Not open for further replies.

n5bew1

I was wondering if anyone out west had listened to the Cherokee OHP relay on 154.905 (44.90 receive) lately. It is west of El Reno by the Cherokee truckstop. It used to pick a lot of Clinton OHP's lowband traffic and Troop A when they were on lowband. I used to hear it fairly well here in Norman. I've been listening for several days and I hear no traffic on it not even troop H.

nermel

I drive that stretch of I-40 frequently, rarely hear any activity. There isn't a PL tone with it? I have it set to carrier squelch.

n5bew1

I drive that stretch of I-40 frequently, rarely hear any activity. There isn't a PL tone with it? I have it set to carrier squelch.

If you're listening in carrier squelch you will hear anything transmitted. It's 44.900 receiver may just not hear many signals these days not even Troop H people.

HogDriver

Premium Subscriber
On the topic of these relays, I live in the OKC area and, of course, pick up OHP on OKWIN. I have all of OHP OKWIN programmed in so as long as I'm in range I can receive them around the state.
My question is regarding the relays. Do they retransmit both sides of the traffic? I had the VHF relays programmed in but never picked up anything when I was traveling the state out of OKWIN range.
I have the 4 lowband channels put in and hear occasional traffic on them but nothing long lasting.
So which relays should I program in order to have complete coverage?

nd5y

The remote base relays don't repeat both sides on the same frequency.
Many of them have a remote base (actually more like a cross band repeater) on 44.70 or 45.22. The ones like this have another VHF or UHF frequency to link the dispatcher to the remote site.

For example:
There are two cross band repeaters in Velma. One is 155.31 in/44.70 out. The other is 44.90 in/154.905 out.
The dispatcher in Lawton recieves 154.905 and transmits on 155.31.
The mobiles receive 44.70 and transmit on 44.90.

I haven't been past OKWIN Land for many, many years so I don't know if the database listings for the relays are still accurate. They appear to still be licensed.
I was up in Jefferson and Stephens counties last month and happened to hear them doing a radio check on the Velma site. It's still there but I didn't catch what tones are used.

What frequencies you should listen to depends on where you are.
The VHF and UHF link frequencies are probably using direcctional antennas. You may not be able to hear them well depending on your location and the direction their antennas are pointed.

Last edited:

n5bew1

Well it depends on how they were set up. The Cherokee relay would receive the OHP channel 2 44.900 and retransmit what is heard back to OKC on 154.905. That is all it did and I think many were set up that way. A relay near the McDonalds on the H.E. Bailey north of Chickasha worked the same way it listened for 44.900 transmissions and relayed it back to Lawton OHP on 155.445. Lawton had a remote 44.700 base transmitter at the same location on the turnpike but I think they used 155.31 to transmit to it from Lawton and the 44.700 transmitter relayed whatever came in on 155.31. In the troops cover by OKWIN they are rarely used any more. Some may be broken and just never fixed???

n5bew1

The remote base relays don't repeat both sides on the same frequency.
Most of them have a remote base (actually more like a cross band repeater) on 44.70 or 45.22. The ones like this have another VHF or UHF frequency to link the dispatcher to the remote site.

For example:
There are two cross band repeaters in Velma. One is 155.31 in/44.70 out.
The other is 44.90 in/154.905 out.
The dispatcher in Lawton recieves 154.905 and transmits on 155.31.
The mobiles receive 44.70 and transmit on 44.90

I haven't been outside of OKWIN Land for many years so I don't know if the database listings for them are still accurate. They appear to still be licensed.
I was up in Jefferson and Stephens counties last month and happened to hear them doing a radio check on the Velma site. It's still there but I didn't catch what tones are used.

What frequencies you should listen to depends on where you are.
The VHF and UHF link frequencies are probably using direcctional antennas. You may not be able to hear them well depending on your location and the direction their antennas are pointed.

Well we posted roughly the same thing at the same time.:) I can say the 154.905 relay in Velma still works I heard a George unit call Lawton on it a few days ago as his location was way south in Jefferson County at the time.

HogDriver

Premium Subscriber
Ok, so I guess program all of them and hope for the best! Just wondering because I drove all the way out to Guymon and back from OKC and never heard a peep!

n5bew1

Ok, so I guess program all of them and hope for the best! Just wondering because I drove all the way out to Guymon and back from OKC and never heard a peep!

Another thing to think about is that the rural troops just may not have that much radio traffic. I have a radio dedicated to 44.700. I hear Clinton a lot Perry a fair amount but not as much as Clinton. Sometimes they just don't talk much probably due to fewer troopers on duty at any given time.

Status
Not open for further replies.