OHP Talkgroup names

Status
Not open for further replies.

HogDriver

Premium Subscriber
So, is OHP changing the names for Troop
A? Used to be AM1 and AM2. Now it's AM Comm and AM Ops. Is this the beginning of a system-wide change?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HogDriver

Premium Subscriber
Well, I guess I'll beat you to it and go ahead and change them all!

Any idea why? Or does someone suffer from changeitis and need to change things just because!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fast2okc

Database Admin
Actually, it's been a long time coming.

When the system was first set up, OHP had always had just two low band channels and dealt with a lot of interference. This new system gave them almost unlimited "channels" and they set up what they thought they would need. Each troop had two talkgroups for operations and a separate one for supervisors.

The turnpikes were treated like separate troops and they also had two talkgroups and a supervisors' talkgroup. I have been scanning for a long time and I can't recall a single time I have heard anything on a supervisors' talkgroup. They just aren't used.

Also, some of the rural turnpikes are now run on the main troop talkgroup. Lawton runs the Bailey Turnpike on Troop G-1 (now G-Comm). Perry runs the Cimarron Turnpike on K-1 (now K-Comm). Even Tulsa runs the Creek Turnpike on B-1 (now B-Comm) So there isn't really a need for three Creek Turnpike talkgroups.

As the system has filled up, there is a need for more talkgroups. The old Tulsa analog talkgroups are being re-purposed, and I suspect some of the OHP ones will be also. OHP has already turned over the "Turnpike Supervisors" talkgroups to the Turnpike Authority for maintenance vehicles.

It definitely makes it a bit more of a challenge to monitor the system when the labels that have been correct for years suddenly change.

B2man

True comment on the old Troop A supervisors channel. They're very active for maintenance during snow removal. Conversations between snow plow personnel.

plaws

Premium Subscriber
This new system gave them almost unlimited "channels" and they set up what they thought they would need.

Norman hoarded (is hoarding) talkgroups, too. FD has at least 8 TGs and only ever uses 4 (and most traffic is confined to 2 of them). PD is similar. You'd think they'd all be active on football game days but no, they clog the SMAs on those days. At least they don't patch everything to everything any more. Oh, and don't forget the 16 LMAs. EMSSTAT clogs up the fire dispatch channel with all kinds of admin traffic (that should probably go by MDT or telephone) even though they have a separate talkgroup that is almost never used. At least they are making use of one of theirs for dispatching Moore units. Need to keep DC available for the 1972 tones!

I'm quite sure there are other examples. If you ever hear an agency say "we'd like to be on OKWIN but they have no talkgroups available" keep this in mind.

Not that it matters in Norman's case. Rumor has it they are going to use cash from their public safety slush fund to build their own new system.

Status
Not open for further replies.