OK I just recieved a psr 800

Status
Not open for further replies.

cowboywildbill

Premium Subscriber
And I'm an idiot? I tried to load Loudoun Co. Sheriffs system but it isn't there. Just Fire and rescue. I bought this used and it was supposed to be downloaded with the latest data bases.
Is there something special I need to do for Loudoun to work? ? Thanks

Last edited:

cowboywildbill

Premium Subscriber
Well maybe I'm not a total idiot? I pulled the SD card and went online and updated for myself. I found the TG's for the LCSO and loaded them. Now when I get closer to Loudoun I'll see if it works.
Sorry if I jumped the gun. Thanks

brownlab

Washington DC, Alexandria/Fairfax County /Loudoun
Well maybe I'm not a total idiot? I pulled the SD card and went online and updated for myself. I found the TG's for the LCSO and loaded them. Now when I get closer to Loudoun I'll see if it works.
Sorry if I jumped the gun. Thanks

Oh it will work especially east of Bull Run Mountain. Reception is a little spotty on the Rt 50 corridor from Aldie to Middleburg however I have picked Loudoun up in Marshall and on US 17 outside of Warrenton. Also works well on RT 7 corridor however I have not tested the unit in the northern part of the county yet. So... I guess it just depends where you are and what kind of antenna you are using in you vehicle but a standard rubber duck seems to work OK. When I first got mine I downloaded the library and just programmed the radio. Worked great. I did not start using EZ Scan or V folders until much later but I have a tendency to do things A** Backwards-LOL. Let us know how it works out for you.

cowboywildbill

Premium Subscriber
Thanks, I'll be listening to Loudon County and Leesburg PD while I'm in Leesburg and Asburn. I'm guessing I should recieve it without any problems there?
I did use the EZ scan to set up Alpha tags and list. It was nice not having to beep beep beep on the keypad and go thru all of those lower upper case and numbers to tag it.

mikev

You probably won't have any issues in Leesburg... I don't have any problems with mine here.

Can't speak for Ashburn though... it might depend on where in Ashburn you're located.

brownlab

Washington DC, Alexandria/Fairfax County /Loudoun
I think Ashburn would be Grond Zero as far as reception goes. Should get sutff like the ADC and Court House which I have problems receiving in the Western end of the country. :Let us know if you pick up TG 2837. We think that is a LCSO Operations freq which is being Indentified as the Emergency Operations Center Command. It will probably be encrypted

cowboywildbill

Premium Subscriber
I had it up and running today while I was in Ashburn/Leesburg It worked pretty well receiving L.C. S.O.
I had a period of about an hour where it was silent and didn,t receive. I was still in the same areas.
I tried to load the latest firmware and cpu and software. It would freeze up and I guess I need to figure out why? I made sure the freq data base was the latest.
I turned it back on and it worked again, but I did notice some distorted voice trans, I asume that's normal. Also Leesburg P.D. alert would activate and TG's for them came up but no audio. I'm guessing that they are encrypted? I'm learning.

cowboywildbill

Premium Subscriber
update

OK, I have it up and running this morning in and around the same areas. It is working well.
It is now picking up Leesburg PD. i actually picked up LC SO Dulles dispatch while traveling thru Frederick,Md.on route 15 at route 40/Patrick street. So far so good. Thanks for the help.

cowboywildbill

Premium Subscriber
I think Ashburn would be Grond Zero as far as reception goes. Should get sutff like the ADC and Court House which I have problems receiving in the Western end of the country. :Let us know if you pick up TG 2837. We think that is a LCSO Operations freq which is being Indentified as the Emergency Operations Center Command. It will probably be encrypted

I didn't get to see the TG because I was driving when it did have some coms that were dead air possibly carrier only. I wonder if it was encrypted voice or maybe data transfer. I hear that CAD/data transmissions are starting to be encrypted even though they can't be heard. I understand it's done because of the sensitive nature of the messages that get sent. The one's that aren't broadcast because of that. Apparently with the right equipment they could be intercepted and viewed by the bad guy's on a computer. Most likely not common crininals but terrorist types. If that is in fact true I guess more a secure system makes sense. But if that were a data chanel I would think it would be buzzing almost non stop not just every 40 minutes or so. That leads me to believe it is a voice chanel.
I'll try to see if that TG comes up again tomorrow.

mikev

Data is sent over the system... but it's not sent on a specific talkgroup. The frequency used for data transmission rotates, and if you were to use a control channel logging/tracking utility you can see what frequency is being used for the data traffic. But I don't know of any programs that would decode the data being sent, if you were to monitor that frequency.

TG 2837 is encrypted, so if you were hearing nothing, then that may be why. Someone told me in a private message that a good description of what it was used for was given on one of the LCSO dispatch TGs before it went into use one time, though they failed to provide me with the information. Having seen a variety of LCSO radios from the dispatch TGs active on it, and combined with another post in which someone mentioned something about LCSO and Emergency Operations, I'm pretty sure that the TG is being used by the LCSO Sheriff's Emergency Response Team for Special Ops/SWAT type communications... just need something to nail it down for good.

cowboywildbill

Premium Subscriber
Makes sense to me also that it is voice. A lot of agencys use encryption when serving warrants and such.
The data thing didn't make total sense to me because it should already be encrypted much like a secure site would be on the internet.
I am happy with the psr 800. I was wondering if there were any programs that could run the voice thru a computer to clear up some the deflection? Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.