OK on low band?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scanmanmi

I'm picking something up on 44.7 MHZ 77 pl. The only thing listed in the entire country is OK state police. There is an Ionia county listed by the FCC and the coordinates are a DNR post. Their microphones sound so bad I can't understand them.
A) Have you ever heard anything THAT far?
B) Can you hear it too?

nvanw27

River Central, TVC
I'm intrigued. Are you still picking it up??

Not necessarily Low-Band, But I have heard Wisconsin Fire Dispatch from my house here in GT County, and once I picked up AM Radio from Sacramento, CA. I was in Grayling at the time.

freqs

tons of skip coming in the last few weeks .ive been get east coast everyday in the 33,000 range 33.5800 33.700 ect I'm in Warren

hanlonmi06

Premium Subscriber
Are you folks using any special antennas or anything? I've wanted to explore the lo band for a while now, but never seem to catch anything. I attribute that to not being at the radios when the bands are open, but curious about any special antennas or tools you use to know skips rolling?

mancow

Database Admin
Are you folks using any special antennas or anything? I've wanted to explore the lo band for a while now, but never seem to catch anything. I attribute that to not being at the radios when the bands are open, but curious about any special antennas or tools you use to know skips rolling?

It's not really special but I use a ground plane made with three 102" CB whip antennas as the ground plane and a 6 meter 3/8" mobile antenna with a longer adjustable whip to make the radiator 1/4 wavelength at 29 MHz. I added a small aluminum plate below the center radiator and mounted a secondary 50 MHz whip tilted out to the side. It is hanging from a tree and fed with LMR-400 coax and seems to work really well and is fairly broadbanded.

hanlonmi06

Premium Subscriber
OK, wow. This is what the hobby is all about: I decided to try feeding my 11m 5/8 ground plane into one of the scanners once i got home from work and just happened to get a solid hit on 33.96. "XXX in quarters", clear as ever. Don't have a radio that can pick up tones so i havent a clue who this was, but im monitoring something!!

mancow

Database Admin
That 11 meter groundplane will be a blowtorch of an antenna for lowband. Today wasn't even very good at all as far as conditions go and you are hearing one of those East coast EMS/FIRE stations. You should have tried that a week or two ago. You would have been amazed.

jim202

Not sure what interest there is in the Ham Radio activity, but the 29.600 and 52.525 frequencies for simplex have some action when the band opens up. Hear some activity when the storm fronts are moving across the country. If you look at the repeater listings, you might find some local ham repeaters in either the 10 meter or 6 meter band.

Jim

Groeteschele

It's not really special but I use a ground plane made with three 102" CB whip antennas as the ground plane and a 6 meter 3/8" mobile antenna with a longer adjustable whip to make the radiator 1/4 wavelength at 29 MHz. I added a small aluminum plate below the center radiator and mounted a secondary 50 MHz whip tilted out to the side. It is hanging from a tree and fed with LMR-400 coax and seems to work really well and is fairly broadbanded.
That 11 meter groundplane will be a blowtorch of an antenna for lowband. Today wasn't even very good at all as far as conditions go and you are hearing one of those East coast EMS/FIRE stations. You should have tried that a week or two ago. You would have been amazed.

What do you use to receive CTCSS and DCS tones on low band frequencies? Also how can I record radio signals to listen to when I get home? Can I do this on a BC15X scanner radio?

hanlonmi06

Premium Subscriber
Totally did not mean to hi-jack the thread, but thanks for the tips. I'll be trying to get more listening time in, hopefully be able to contribute to the dialog.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Check 6m beacons. The low band log on here could be good, too.

RFI-EMI-GUY

Could it be a military transmitter with 150 Hz tone? The deviation may be wide wide FM

Status
Not open for further replies.