ok to get next level without a callsign?

Status
Not open for further replies.

roiegat

So I'm a commercial drone pilot (FAA 107 Remote Pilot License) and attended a Search and Rescue training on December 1st. The group asked me to join them, which I did. Since they need to communicate with other first responders and search units, they asked me to study and get a HAM license. Took the test on December 14th and passed. Got my nice little paper with all the signatures on it.

My friends said they got their callsign a couple days later...it's been five days and nothing yet. Since last Friday I've been studying for the General exam since I find this stuff fascinating. At this point, I'm ready to take the test tomorrow (the 20th). Will I be allowed to take it with just the paper with the signatures I got last Friday?

roiegat

Oh yeah...about 4 times a day.

Ok will take my General tomorrow. Funny thing is I have next week off and at this rate might as well study for Extra as well.

You can test for any of the elements without a license, you just can't operate without a callsign. Have you been checking the FCC ULS search page: License Search for your name?

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
First question: Did your friends take their tests at the same time and from the same VE's? Second question: Did you ask the VE's that gave the test if they submitted your paper work?

It seems that these delays are usually traceable to delays in submitting exam results to the VEC. Which VEC gave the tests? There are quite a number of them besides ARRL. Some use online submissions and others use paper submissions.

On the other hand, when I was licensed it took 8-12 weeks to receive your license and there was no URL database.

Thanks for you interest in ham radio and I hope this issue is cleared up quickly.

WRCM

Congrats on passing your Tech; good luck on the General and Extra!

roiegat

First question: Did your friends take their tests at the same time and from the same VE's? Second question: Did you ask the VE's that gave the test if they submitted your paper work?

It seems that these delays are usually traceable to delays in submitting exam results to the VEC. Which VEC gave the tests? There are quite a number of them besides ARRL. Some use online submissions and others use paper submissions.

On the other hand, when I was licensed it took 8-12 weeks to receive your license and there was no URL database.

Thanks for you interest in ham radio and I hope this issue is cleared up quickly.

My friends got their license way before I did. Also they live in a different area, so different testing place.

The testing place I went was a club. The guy I emailed to set it up had a ARRL email address. Will email him and ask if it was submitted.

Thanks guys.

roiegat

So passed my general and one of the VEC's from the original test was there (different location for testing though). In talking to him it appears they mail in the forms. The guys at the General test said they also mail it in but are "faster" than other clubs. So we'll see if I actually get a callsign before I go from my Extra on Jan 4th.

ladn

Explorer of the Frequency Spectrum
Premium Subscriber
Southern California and sometimes Owens Valley
Welcome aboard!
Your posts indicate you are on a rapid upgrade path, which is a really good thing and I don't want to take away from that.

That said, I want to remind you to take the time to get operational and practical experience. We've had some discussion threads along this subject line before, but the gist of these threads is that there is more to amateur radio than passing tests and upgrading.

As you acquire equipment, learn how it works (not just what buttons to push) and get as much on the air experience as you can, not just in SAR work, but is general amateur conversions as well.

roiegat

Thanks. I actually find the test part a little easy. They basically give you the questions and answers. Memorizing answers is one thing, but it doesn't help things "click". So early on I picked up a Baefung UV-5 to learn on. Learned to program it for repeaters, which helped to explain a lot. But at this point I can't do more than program and listen.

Since getting my technical, I've amassed three more radios (TYT UV8000 and a Radioditty QB25). The Qb25 I have in the car to monitor what repeaters are active in my area. Again learning to program it helps a lot since I can now do it a lot quicker. Also learned to really love the CHIRP app.

I"ve also been looking into how to convert some of our drones for HAM use to get more distance from them and also incorporate more cameras on them. Been thinking about building a fox for a fox hunt as well to practice directional finding. The group was talking about using that in a rescue situation where we could drop the fox in the location of the found person.

So been doing as much as I can in the legal limbo that I'm in. It's very hard to have so many cools gadgets and not be able to hit the PTT button yet. Hence, been keeping my mind off of them by studying for the next test.

I also have to say the community has been amazing. Any HAM I've met so far as been really great in helping. I actually found out one of my co-workers is a long time HAM and he's been recommending things for me to look into.

So will keep at it....checking the callsign page every two hours or so.

Welcome aboard!
Your posts indicate you are on a rapid upgrade path, which is a really good thing and I don't want to take away from that.

That said, I want to remind you to take the time to get operational and practical experience. We've had some discussion threads along this subject line before, but the gist of these threads is that there is more to amateur radio than passing tests and upgrading.

As you acquire equipment, learn how it works (not just what buttons to push) and get as much on the air experience as you can, not just in SAR work, but is general amateur conversions as well.

ladn

Explorer of the Frequency Spectrum
Premium Subscriber
Southern California and sometimes Owens Valley
Sounds like you are headed in the right direction with a great attitude!
Hopefully, the government will not shut down today (which would squelch the FCC ULS) and you will get your callsign posted.

Once that happens, be prepared for a boatload of junk mail. Everything from QSL card printers to the ARRL and amateur radio equipment vendors.

roiegat

So what I'm hearing is I should start studying for Extra and look to get callsign in Feb at this point. ;)

Will keep an eye on the news and hope the best.

Sounds like you are headed in the right direction with a great attitude!
Hopefully, the government will not shut down today (which would squelch the FCC ULS) and you will get your callsign posted.

Once that happens, be prepared for a boatload of junk mail. Everything from QSL card printers to the ARRL and amateur radio equipment vendors.

Hans13

The group was talking about using that in a rescue situation where we could drop the fox in the location of the found person.

Couldn't an APRS beacon or DMR locator be used instead. If so, it would likely be quicker and more accurate.

roiegat

I think that comes down to money. We have tons of radios on the team...but I don't think any of them are digital at this point. So we have to be able to adapt what we have to use. We're always looking for grants to get more money, but priority usually goes to the VAN (old ambulance that needs some work) and better drones, since they are the main tech used to find people. Usually the radios come as donations or whatever the cheapest they can find.

Couldn't an APRS beacon or DMR locator be used instead. If so, it would likely be quicker and more accurate.

Hans13

There are relatively inexpensive DMR radios with location; likewise with APRS beacons. If we're talking about SAR, it would be a small expense compared to the benefit. The difference between a fox hunt and here are the GPS coordinates is huge, IMHO. Choosing a fox hunt over actual GPS coordinates would be like intentionally blindfolding your team to search for a target. It unnecessarily impedes the purpose.

Also, don't some drones have GPS? Instead of dropping anything, why not hover over the target and relay coordinates? ETA: If you can carry a fox on the drone to drop, you could carry a GPS unit to relay instead. Since you see the target with the drone, you would have the coordinates instantly.

Just some suggestions which may or may not be applicable.

roiegat

The drones mostly have GPS's, at least the bigger DJI ones do. We're actually looking to acquire one specifically for Search and Rescue that has a good spot light on it and gives GPS cords on the screen. Current flight software doesn't always have the GPS coordinates on the screen. Plus, our searchers don't always have a GPS on them.

Next training I'll bring up the digital discussion. The current goal is to build something we can drop when we find a person to help them get found. On our bigger drones were seeing if we can put in a light radio so they person can tell us if they need any medical aid and can help coordinate the searchers too them...but it all depends on terrain on if we can drop something low enough without getting damaged.

Status
Not open for further replies.