• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Ok to use VHF Hi-band amp on 2M?

Status
Not open for further replies.

salty

I have a Motorola power amplifier model N1274A and want to use it on the 2M ham band. According to the frequency stamp on the back of the amp it was designed to operate on 150.8-174 mHz.

Would I damage the radio or amp if I use it on the 2 meter ham band?

Thanks for the help!

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
It will likely work fine, might not put out full rated power but I know some of those motorola amps put out above what they were rated for anyway. As long as you are within your limits on emissions (not throwing spurs left and right) you should be ok.

rcvmo

No it won't damage the radio. As long as the radio antenna terminal sees 50 ohms and the input to the amplifier is 50 ohms, you're ok.
However.........
The amplifier is tuned for 150.?? and above. Using the amp outside the MFR spec'd freq. range may induce some dirty harmonics into the airwaves. You could possibly be transmitting a harmonic on some freq. where it's not supposed to be and be picked up by someone else on another frequency and contexted as intereference, have them come a-looking. Lucy.....you got some 'splaining to do.
It is really close to the upper end of the ham bands, and probably won't do much harm, but if you know someone with an RF specturm analyzer, like maybe one of the more seasoned ham radio professionals in your area may be able to "sweep it" for you to make sure everything's on the up and up.
Otherwise, a great power booster for an HT as long as your batteries can hold out. keep the transmissions short!!
Good Luck.
rcvmo

salty

Thanks Grog and rcvmo for taking the time to respond to my question!

I appreciate both your informative answers.

mm

That amp works great on 2 meters, I had a couple of them several years back running on a repeater.

I never had a spurious problem with them either.

I swept both of mine on a HP70000 series analyzer and then ran it with a Mini-circuts driver amp from a HP8640 generator and saw no problems from 138 to 174 MHz even at 3 dB overdrive.

I even modified the PA and Low pass filter on one for 220 MHz and it worked great.

The stock models low pass filter cutoff was around 183 MHz and all harmonics from 138MHz to 174Mhz were better than 70 dBc.

MM

Status
Not open for further replies.