OK, which one of you was it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
From: http://www.cnjonline.com/news/enforcement_28295___article.html/loaded_police.html

About 9 a.m. May 20 an officer on duty at a school in the 1900 block of Thornton was called to the office to assist with an out-of-control student.

An administrator told the officer he had a student in his office who had some type of radio or scanner in his backpack but the youth would not turn it over.

When the officer asked to see the device, the 17-year-old became belligerent.

The officer arrested the boy for disorderly conduct and took him to jail.
"They can have my scanner when they pry it from my cold dead fingers!!!"
:lol:

af5rn

AZScanner said:
"They can have my scanner when they pry it from my cold dead fingers!!!"
ROFL!!! :lol:

Hell, I carried my handheld to class in high school. Listened to it all day long through an earphone and nobody gave a rat's arse. Can't really see why they would. Although these days, I suppose it might be hard to tell the kids they can't have their cellphones in class if you're letting a student carry a scanner. Somehow I doubt that was the case here though.

Bastards.

iMONITOR

Premium Subscriber
It figures! They finally have a student with a good clean hobby, instead of drugs, and look how they handle it! The school administrator probably thinks he snagged a terrorist! :roll:

Shortwavewave

Ive taken Handheld CB Radios, and Walkie Talkies to school before, teachers didnt say anything, the teachers, and students thought I was weird or a nerd!

Raccon

GreatLakes said:
It figures! They finally have a student with a good clean hobby, instead of drugs, and look how they handle it! The school administrator probably thinks he snagged a terrorist! :roll:
Or perhaps the administrator thought that a scanner is not required in class and the student might be distracted if he uses it, rather than paying attention to class. But hey, your guess is as good as mine.

Portable14

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I remember back in highschool, I would take my scanners into school all the time (Turned off of course), and they would always try to take them, Well, They never got them, Because I would always leave before they tried to physically take them, So after a few times going around that circle, I just decided to either conceal them better, Or just not bring them into school. Now I can listen to them all I want, Because me and my room-mate are both into scanners, So it doesn't bother anyone at my place, and I'm fortunate enough to have a job where I can listen to them at work when I use headphones.

iMONITOR

Premium Subscriber
Raccon said:
Or perhaps the administrator thought that a scanner is not required in class and the student might be distracted if he uses it, rather than paying attention to class. But hey, your guess is as good as mine.
The article says the scanner was in his backpack. It doesn't sound like it was distracting anyone. Irregardless it was unnecessary and overreacting to get the police involved. I'm surprised they would even respond.

chrismol1

Premium Subscriber
probably thought it was some attack, some unidentified black device in a studens backpack.
All the schools are going ape whenever they see something that even remotely looks like anything you know what

Zaratsu

Premium Subscriber
chrismoll said:
probably thought it was some attack, some unidentified black device in a studens backpack.
All the schools are going ape whenever they see something that even remotely looks like anything you know what
Like a 20 year old cell phone? Like a CB?

just another case of jumpy and passive-aggressive school staff hassling some awkward kid. Both should know better, but then again the kid is a kid and the teacher is a public school teacher. I wouldnt expect world-class behavior or intellect from either.

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
DanTSX said:
but then again the kid is a kid and the teacher is a public school teacher. I wouldnt expect world-class behavior or intellect from either.
It was an administrator not a teacher but either way--teacher or administrator, if it was policy (student handbook), the student was in violation and required to surrender the item whether in backpack, locker, car or whatever.

No policy--you are correct "passive-aggressive school staff hassling"

windchaser

in the early 60s during hunting season it was not uncommon tosee students carrying shotguns to school, we would put them in the office or your locker. after school we got on the bus that one of the students drove. heck sometimes 8-10 of us would ride to the drivers house and hunt. then got back on the bus and he took us home, sometimes with a deer or two in the isle . today you mention any weapon and watch what happens, i get weird looks when i have my 2 meter with me. times sure have changed. windchaser usmm ret

af5rn

Yeah, when I was in high school in the early 70s, half the pick-ups in the parking lot had shotguns and rifles in a rear window rack. Nobody thought a thing about it. And even though cars were constantly broken into for their CB radios, nobody ever broke into a truck for a gun.

Raccon

GreatLakes said:
The article says the scanner was in his backpack. It doesn't sound like it was distracting anyone.
I meant that he will be distracted if he were to use it himself during class, using an earplug or whatever.

Irregardless it was unnecessary and overreacting to get the police involved. I'm surprised they would even respond.
Yep, I agree.

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
Raccon said:
Irregardless it was unnecessary and overreacting to get the police involved. I'm surprised they would even respond.
Yep, I agree.
You call it overreacting...I call it respecting authority in a Democratic Republic society.

Though school officials may search lockers, backpacks unattached to person and elsewhere on school property, they have no authority to physically touch a student or their apparel including backpacks when on the person. LEO's can. The latter few of my teaching years, we had a full time, fully equipped Deputy in the school during school hours. If this student gave the administrator a problem, in comes the Deputy.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
GreatLakes said:
<deleted>

Last edited:

Raccon

You call it overreacting...I call it respecting authority in a Democratic Republic society.
Unless there was a right by that authority to take away the scanner, and I don't see on what grounds that would be justified, then I don't see the need to respect such a request. Just like I would not allow the police to search my house without a warrant - and I am sure you will agree that this is not disrespecting the authorities.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.