Okay, I'm a tard. Help me lock out some channels

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had my Radio Shack 163 programmed with the channels at Radio Shack. They include the school bus channels and that is driving me nuts. Locking out the channels manually didn't seem to work I finally broke down and bought a cable to download the channels into the Win97 program written by Don Starr. It shows the school bus channels are locked out. I've attached a screen shot of the screen.
Here's the Washoe County channels.
Washoe County Trunking System, Washoe County, Nevada - Scanner Frequencies
How do I lock out just the school bus channels?

Attachments

• radiosoftwarescreenshotcropped.jpg
    radiosoftwarescreenshotcropped.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 1,099

KC5EIB

Feed Provider
Or Press and release the black "F" key then press and release the "." (DOT) key. The last line of the display should read "Bank CLOSED"

Local law enforcement and the school district buses are all on the same bank. I don't want to lock out the entire bank, do I?

SCPD

QRT
Did you reload the changes to the scanner? It sounds like you have, and it's probably a dumb question, but you'd be surprised what some folks forget to do.

DELCOLHFC

You are in OPEN, You want CLOSED.

Local law enforcement and the school district buses are all on the same bank. I don't want to lock out the entire bank, do I?

No you don't. The above posters are directing you to check off the "CLOSED" box just above the main frequency pane. This will allow the scanner to skip over the TalkGroups you have locked out (the bus ones AND all other TG's on the system) and only scan the TalkGroups you have programmed and NOT locked out ( the ones you want to hear!). Without the "CLOSED" box checked as it now shows the scanner will pick up every TalkGroup on the entire system as it is in "OPEN" mode.
Good Luck!

P.S. Welcome to RR!

DonS

The O.P. has a PRO-163. On that scanner, if a talkgroup is programmed and locked out, the open/closed setting is supposed to be irrelevant. From the PSR-300 manual (functionally equivalent to the PRO-163): In open mode, you hear all active talkgroups except those you specifically exclude.

DonS

The O.P. has a PRO-163. On that scanner, if a talkgroup is programmed and locked out, the open/closed setting is supposed to be irrelevant. From the PSR-300 manual (functionally equivalent to the PRO-163): In open mode, you hear all active talkgroups except those you specifically exclude.

I've confirmed this functionality in my PSR-300, and a PRO-163 should behave the same way. I locked out all of the talkgroups I have programmed for the local system, made sure each of the "ID sub-banks" was enabled, and changed the bank to "Open". Side-by-side with my PRO-106, the PRO-106 is chattering away while the PSR-300 is silent and never leaves the "Scanning" display.

So, if the O.P. programs all of the "unwanted" talkgroups, locks them out, and ensures that all of the "ID sub-banks" are enabled, he should be able to scan in Open mode without hearing those unwanted talkgroups.

Of course, scanning in Open mode is really only useful if you haven't programmed all of the "interesting" talkgroups (i.e. if you want to "search" for more talkgroups). If you have programmed all talkgroups that are interesting, then scanning in Closed mode is more appropriate.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.