Okay, I'm interested.. But.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lockzhere

As the title says, I'm interested in getting into Amateur radio, but the only problem is that there are hardly any people in my area that are active on some of the bands that i have found (even if i could listen to them. i have no idea how to contact them)

But until i can, can a few of you drop some links for some good study material? I've found a few websites that provide tests, just like they would be in real life (random questions per category and what not) but can't seem to pick out any decent reading material that i can read up on and really wrap my head around.

alot of the stuff i do know about the hobby, is what i've picked up just listening on my scanner, but i know there's far more to it to get a hold of a license. and that's what i'm wanting to do.

Thanks for any replies.

HighVSWR

Some useful links for prospective amateur radio operators

Lockzhere,

Thank you for your interest and enthusiasm in the hobby of amateur radio. After 30+ years as a licensed ham, I still enjoy the many aspects of the hobby - operating, building, learning.

Have a look at these links, and just keep asking questions.

Find an Amateur Radio License Exam in Your Area
Getting Your Technician License
Search for ARRL Hamfests and Conventions

And, the several other links on the American Radio Relay League | ARRL - The national association for AMATEUR RADIO website.

Good luck.
Bob - WD8AWS

WX2CIB

As the title says, I'm interested in getting into Amateur radio, but the only problem is that there are hardly any people in my area that are active on some of the bands that i have found (even if i could listen to them. i have no idea how to contact them)

But until i can, can a few of you drop some links for some good study material? I've found a few websites that provide tests, just like they would be in real life (random questions per category and what not) but can't seem to pick out any decent reading material that i can read up on and really wrap my head around.

alot of the stuff i do know about the hobby, is what i've picked up just listening on my scanner, but i know there's far more to it to get a hold of a license. and that's what i'm wanting to do.

Thanks for any replies.

Goto KB6NU's Ham Radio Blog - Having fun with amateur radio he has FREE study guides there. Take practice test on QRZ.COM and HamExam.org: Free Amateur Radio Practice Tests with Flash Cards. The hamexam.org will show you your progress and show you which sections you need help in.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Exactly what bob & dave said!
Good luck!!

n9zas

divemaster500

lockzhere

Thank you all for the replies and helpful links, browsing through a few of the 'practice' tests alot of seems to be quite a bit of common sense, i imagine the places i'll have alot of trouble would probably be antenna theories and what not. But i probably would hold off on diving that deep until i get (notice no 'if i get') more comfortable with the hobby.

also picked me up Amazon.com: Technician Class 2010-2014 (9780945053620): Gordon West, WB6NOA, Pete Trotter, KB9SMG: Books been looking around and i've seen it mentioned a few times with some decent praise, so i figure it'll give me something to do while i'm out on the road (funny how my position at work will have me drive a few hundred miles a day, but end up sitting on my butt in a pickup for hours on end before doing anything).

But once again, thanks for the helpful links i'm going to pick a few and go with them instead of trying to get amass of information from all these sources at once (would seem to be more confusing than not)

Thanks again!
-Ryan

tojohnso

Ryan,

I'll tell you what I did about two years ago. I got both the Tech and Gen training books from the ARRL. After going through the Tech book for a few chapters, I decided I'd go for General at the same time since it has more HF privileges. Besides, it doesn't cost you any more to take all three tests as long as you pass the previous one. So, as I studied the tech chapter, I studied the corresponding general chapter. Additionally, I took the practice exams that QRZ offered as many times I could handle so I could see how my studying was doing and recognize what I may have missed when I studied it.

After all was said and done, the Tech exam was a piece of cake and I passed the General so I tried the Extra. I didn't pass that one, but knew what to expect when I studied for it (had I only knew about Smith charts!!!).

My brain was a little fried from taking all of the exams and I just wanted to operate. I found that operating HF in various different modes helped me when I decided to study for the Extra. Eventually, I did take the Extra exam and passed. Once I had the Extra, I found it to be extremely beneficial for going after DX and the various contests I like to do.

Good luck in your studies and passing the exams! It's not really that hard if you put time in to studying and taking the online practice exams (QRZ was the best at the time: QRZ.COM Practice Amateur Radio Exams )!

73 de K4TOJ - Tom.

lockzhere

Ryan,

I'll tell you what I did about two years ago. I got both the Tech and Gen training books from the ARRL. After going through the Tech book for a few chapters, I decided I'd go for General at the same time since it has more HF privileges. Besides, it doesn't cost you any more to take all three tests as long as you pass the previous one. So, as I studied the tech chapter, I studied the corresponding general chapter. Additionally, I took the practice exams that QRZ offered as many times I could handle so I could see how my studying was doing and recognize what I may have missed when I studied it.

After all was said and done, the Tech exam was a piece of cake and I passed the General so I tried the Extra. I didn't pass that one, but knew what to expect when I studied for it (had I only knew about Smith charts!!!).

My brain was a little fried from taking all of the exams and I just wanted to operate. I found that operating HF in various different modes helped me when I decided to study for the Extra. Eventually, I did take the Extra exam and passed. Once I had the Extra, I found it to be extremely beneficial for going after DX and the various contests I like to do.

Good luck in your studies and passing the exams! It's not really that hard if you put time in to studying and taking the online practice exams (QRZ was the best at the time: QRZ.COM Practice Amateur Radio Exams )!

73 de K4TOJ - Tom.

Thank you for that reply, i've been studying on and off when i can. and i was ready to go take my exam yesterday, scheduled for a day off and everything. as i was about to head out (30 Mile drive from my house) i called up one of the VE that had his Contact information up and asked if the testing was still up. He informed me that it had already taken place that morning (5:30A) versus the 3:30P that was stated on their club Website. Bummed me out, because the next one (which is actually in my town, yay) isn't until July.

Kind of a bummer that i couldn't get at least Tech out of the way while i was ready to do so to find out that thier webmaster said she'd fix the mistake for the time listing but never did.

Oh well, gives me more time to knock my head on General and possibly Extra for the next month.

divemaster500

Got mine!

I too decided that I would like to get into amateur radio. I bought a cheap Yaesu 2 meter rig in the Radio Reference classifieds on Friday and started with the "No-Nonsense" guide on Friday. So far, the material has proven to be very interesting. I am excited to see where this new interest goes!

I would recommend taking the test! I started with the No-Nonsense Tech Guide and took the practice tests at EHam online. I went to a local club meeting and found out about a test that was being given by another Ham Group and decided to take it. I missed 1 and toyed with taking the General the same day, but had Opening Ceremonies for my Little League team the same evening. Anyway, I bought the Gordon West book from Amazon for the General. I also am studying the No-Nonsense General Guide until the West book arrives.

In just a few short weeks, I have met so many wonderful people from the world of Ham. What a great hobby!

tojohnso

........... He informed me that it had already taken place that morning (5:30A) versus the 3:30P that was stated on their club Website. Bummed me out, because the next one (which is actually in my town, yay) isn't until July.........

Who gives an exam at 5:30 in the morning? I wouldn't have made that one if I knew about it! One option you may have is getting with the local club(s) and tell them you are ready to take the exam. All it takes is 3 VEs to get it done and it's a win win since they may get a new member. The ARRL Field Day is June 23-24. You might find someone offering exams during that event as well.

Good luck with everything!

Tom

divemaster500

Who gives an exam at 5:30 in the morning? I wouldn't have made that one if I knew about it! One option you may have is getting with the local club(s) and tell them you are ready to take the exam. All it takes is 3 VEs to get it done and it's a win win since they may get a new member. The ARRL Field Day is June 23-24. You might find someone offering exams during that event as well.

Good luck with everything!

Tom

Someone who gets up REALLY EARLY..........

jleverin

What I did when I decided to get my license was look for a local ham club and went to their meeting. They are usually the ones who administer the tests anyway and they are always more than happy to help a newcomer get their license. If you don't know where your local club is, go the the ARRL website. They have a listing of affliate clubs in your area and usually have the name and number of a contact person. I started in 2009 and have since gotten my Tech and General licenses. Just a suggestion, check it out....

Status
Not open for further replies.