OKC Ch5 report on new radio system 10/18

Status
Not open for further replies.

N5TWB

Did anybody else watch the 10pm news on 10/18 on KOCO with the report on how the surrounding communities (Bethany was featured) were not pleased with the lack of interoperability? If you missed it, make sure to watch tonight because they said the OKC FOP is having a meeting today (10/19) with city leaders and they intend to interview/ get a statement from the FOP. Might be interesting -- worth a look, anyway.

freqscout

All of the problems that they are currently encountering they would also have on Moto systems...the biggest problem is that the system is still in the birth process. The first big step in the implementation process is to first be able to carry its own traffic. The city's radio system is still in the proving ground stage where it is proving it's self reliability and functionality. How many of you think that you could pay the mortgage on your own home and then pay someone else's too? The resources are going into solving the city's issues before it can get poured into going outside of itself. As you have seen if you have been listening the only things that have been done and used are links to NORMAN FD/PD and Medi-Flight.

DPS/Moto 800 is still on a different band, using a digital protocol, other cities would still have to buy scanners to listen (try getting a cop to buy a 500 dollar digital scanner), other cities would still have to buy the radios etc to talk directly to dispatch, and they would still be *****ing cause they couldn't talk directly to OCPD/FD dispatch without them. So what is the better part about Motorola again? The only group not complaining are the people on the state's smartzone system, maybe because they understand the growth process, and have been in it for quite some time. Sounds like the problem lies more in a BAND issue than a BRAND issue.

The link radios will help some of this. OHP is the one agency that the city originally set out to talk directly to and then it developed into the others. The radio system has solved that original problem. OHP wanted to talk to OKC. They have solved that. While these measures are still being put together they are the original problems and they are addressed.

According to everyone else's view of how interoperability should take place we should all be on the same band, using the same radios, and the same system. Just how well does that work when the system goes down? How can that lend toward fair and appropriate business practices for using your tax dollars. Maybe everyone should just go back to VHF and use analog? That would be antiquated but would work.

Ever seen what a business does when it has a corner on the market? That business literally destroys it's purchasers for every last dollar. That is why there are monopoly laws. Tell me how much you would appreciate it if your tax dollars were used to purchase a radio system ten times the price for half of the system. That is what happens when everyone goes with the same system/brand. That is bad business and bad tax dollar use. I appreciate the fact that the money that I payed in was used for the best product for the user and at the most appropriate price. I would not have wanted to extend the tax hike for another ten years to pay for a system that would be abandoned by the manufacturer before it was put together.

n4voxgill

Silent Key
Bethany has sat around with their fingers up their ying yang. They have known for some time that they need new radios if they want to join the system. Did they think the tooth fairy was going to bring them. If they had planned and budgeted then it would have had little impact. They are the problem, not a new radio system.

freqscout

And if you've seen the timeline for EDACS then you know that it has been coming for a while ...a long while.

P

PolarBear25

freqscout said:
All of the problems that they are currently encountering they would also have on Moto systems...the biggest problem is that the system is still in the birth process. The first big step in the implementation process is to first be able to carry its own traffic. The city's radio system is still in the proving ground stage where it is proving it's self reliability and functionality. How many of you think that you could pay the mortgage on your own home and then pay someone else's too? The resources are going into solving the city's issues before it can get poured into going outside of itself. As you have seen if you have been listening the only things that have been done and used are links to NORMAN FD/PD and Medi-Flight.

DPS/Moto 800 is still on a different band, using a digital protocol, other cities would still have to buy scanners to listen (try getting a cop to buy a 500 dollar digital scanner), other cities would still have to buy the radios etc to talk directly to dispatch, and they would still be *****ing cause they couldn't talk directly to OCPD/FD dispatch without them. So what is the better part about Motorola again? The only group not complaining are the people on the state's smartzone system, maybe because they understand the growth process, and have been in it for quite some time. Sounds like the problem lies more in a BAND issue than a BRAND issue.

The link radios will help some of this. OHP is the one agency that the city originally set out to talk directly to and then it developed into the others. The radio system has solved that original problem. OHP wanted to talk to OKC. They have solved that. While these measures are still being put together they are the original problems and they are addressed.

According to everyone else's view of how interoperability should take place we should all be on the same band, using the same radios, and the same system. Just how well does that work when the system goes down? How can that lend toward fair and appropriate business practices for using your tax dollars. Maybe everyone should just go back to VHF and use analog? That would be antiquated but would work.

Ever seen what a business does when it has a corner on the market? That business literally destroys it's purchasers for every last dollar. That is why there are monopoly laws. Tell me how much you would appreciate it if your tax dollars were used to purchase a radio system ten times the price for half of the system. That is what happens when everyone goes with the same system/brand. That is bad business and bad tax dollar use. I appreciate the fact that the money that I payed in was used for the best product for the user and at the most appropriate price. I would not have wanted to extend the tax hike for another ten years to pay for a system that would be abandoned by the manufacturer before it was put together.

So you can hear Norm PD/FD Now on OKC T.R.S.??

Motorola smartzone system is the best!!!!!

P

PolarBear25

n4voxgill said:
Bethany has sat around with their fingers up their ying yang. They have known for some time that they need new radios if they want to join the system. Did they think the tooth fairy was going to bring them. If they had planned and budgeted then it would have had little impact. They are the problem, not a new radio system.

What Ever!!!!!

P

PolarBear25

freqscout said:
And if you've seen the timeline for EDACS then you know that it has been coming for a while ...a long while.

Ok boy you love EDACS don't you!!!!!

freqscout

Yes, Norman PD and FD can now be accessed from the OKC TRS.

You are not seeing others on the state system due to the low number of available channels that DPS OKC has available for extraneous traffic. It would cause a catastrophic overpopulation of DPS if they turned on the OKC dispatch links as well as all of the mutual aid links. DPS has dictated that the links should not be made permanently active until the rebanding/expansion has finished.

P

PolarBear25

Gilligan said:
What kind of timeline is that?

Yes What is the Time Line??

I Also know Moore is coming online this next week on the State's system so is (MCEMS)

freqscout

The timeline will depend on that agency's agreements/negotiations with Nextel. Might be better off to ask one of the troopers on here if they have heard. DPS is not generally very forthcoming with information to persons outside of their agency.

Moore has already been doing testing. Didn't someone say that there is a whole new site in Moore?

P

PolarBear25

freqscout said:
The timeline will depend on that agency's agreements/negotiations with Nextel. Might be better off to ask one of the troopers on here if they have heard. DPS is not generally very forthcoming with information to persons outside of their agency.

Moore has already been doing testing. Didn't someone say that there is a whole new site in Moore?
17 new Freqs.!!!!!

freqscout

Nice...well I am excited to see the expansion of the system. They have needed it for a long time. I heard that MWC will have a great site on their tower that will give you guys on the MWC side GREAT reception. I am hoping for a NW OKC site too. The NE site is very weak at times and there are many gaps in coverage on the scanner over here.

P

PolarBear25

freqscout said:
Nice...well I am excited to see the expansion of the system. They have needed it for a long time. I heard that MWC will have a great site on their tower that will give you guys on the MWC side GREAT reception. I am hoping for a NW OKC site too. The NE site is very weak at times and there are many gaps in coverage on the scanner over here.

Tell me About it!!!!!
Let's all hope so For The greatest little city on Earth, City of Midwest City, State of Oklahoma!!!!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.