OKC PD in the Clear / Most Tulsa PD encrypted

rvacs

Premium Subscriber
As you scroll through the OKWIN P25 Phase 1 database it is always interesting all those "in the clear"
and then the ones "encrypted".

Seems strange OKC PD seems all in the Clear when the majority of the Tulsa PD channels (minus dispatch) are encrypted.

I fully support encrypted for some privacy concerns and think they should have a few channels that use this.
Also there is the ability to "Part time encrypt as needed".

Just an interesting topic.

KI5IRE

Premium Subscriber
Tulsa PD dispatch talkgroups are currently completely in the clear, I never saw any encryption on their dispatch talkgroups when I lived there as recent as March of last year. A majority of their routine calls are carried out on the dispatch talkgroups.

The talk and tactical talkgroups are all encrypted full time. They usually will switch over to a talk/tactical talkgroups for perp searches and tactical situations. But I heard several standoffs (before tac teams were called out) on the dispatch channel in the clear.

OCPD mainly operates on the main dispatch talkgroups and does not switch to their tactical talkgroups unless it’s a SWAT situation. Even then they will usually still have responding units and perimeter on a closed dispatch channel during the event. Routine comms switch to the division talk talkgroup and are sometimes partially encrypted (dispatch clear, some units encrypted)

toad99

Premium Subscriber
I have noticed that large cities seem to have their dispatch channels in the clear, and the smaller suburban towns around them fully encrypted. Dallas, Fort Worth, and Austin areas are this way. Maybe encryption for small towns is cheaper than a large city, can't think of any other reason, other than they want to hide their activities. I understand that Chicago will probably be going to full encryption, for "officer safety", which will also lock out the news providers. Not sure why Edmond, Moore, MWC, Warr Acres, Bethany, Yukon, and Mustang aren't fully encrypted.

rvacs

Premium Subscriber
Yes @toad99 you are correct just moved from Austin area where most of Austin PD in the clear but satellite towns in Williamson Co (RoundRock / Georgetown etc. are fully encrypted).. I know some cities like to say they are not blocking anything from the public. But others just want to lock it down. Just interesting.

Opossum214

Premium Subscriber
Probably because of Dwight causing all that trouble lately down there in Tulsa.

toad99

Premium Subscriber
At least in almost areas, fire channels are in the clear, so you can hear about all the medical emergencies, which seem to be 95% of fire calls, at least here in OKC. Hazmat and Will Rogers airport fire are encrypted, strange.

rvacs

Premium Subscriber
So looking at OKWIN P25 Phase 1 system it does not seem to be SIMULCAST in the Tulsa Tower area or others.
Just checking to see if mobile should be using a Simulcast Scanner like SDS100/SDS200 vs. say BCD325P2.

toad99

Premium Subscriber
The Tulsa area shows 6 transmitter sites for OKWIN, so I would suspect there would be simulcast problems. The OKC area has pretty bad simulcast issues. When OKWIN was analog, the distortion was terrible, with digital, you just miss chunks of audio, or get none at all. Strangely enough, the P25 Phase 2 OKC metro system is simulcast, and I have never had a problem with it on a non-SDS scanner.

KI5IRE

Premium Subscriber
I used to work in news in both cities and took my SDS, 436 and Unications to work everyday. Never had a whole lot of simulcast distortion issues with Metro P25, OKWIN or BACRN on the 436 when comparing side by side with my SDS or Unications. My 396xt also handled OKWIN pretty well in Tulsa.

CORN

Premium Subscriber
At least in almost areas, fire channels are in the clear, so you can hear about all the medical emergencies, which seem to be 95% of fire calls, at least here in OKC. Hazmat and Will Rogers airport fire are encrypted, strange.
Yeah the airport thing totally made me do a face palm. Not only the crash trucks are in the green but the entire airport Ops! Snowplows, public works, etc. Crazy.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
I have noticed that large cities seem to have their dispatch channels in the clear, and the smaller suburban towns around them fully encrypted. Dallas, Fort Worth, and Austin areas are this way. Maybe encryption for small towns is cheaper than a large city, can't think of any other reason, other than they want to hide their activities. I understand that Chicago will probably be going to full encryption, for "officer safety", which will also lock out the news providers. Not sure why Edmond, Moore, MWC, Warr Acres, Bethany, Yukon, and Mustang aren't fully encrypted.

Yes, Dallas and Austin are largely in the clear, but not Fort Worth, Irving, and Arlington are not with respect to law enforcement. Fort Worth has no open law enforcement dispatch channels. If you are lucky, you might find them on a MA group.

Fort Worth PD offers some odd Phase I talk groups like the convention center and zoo, but that is it, unless you enjoy listening to "events", "code blue" "multi-groups", or "detail."

The most ridiculous talk group I've ever encountered is this one, " Ministers Against Crime Talk ." I don't know why this is an encrypted channel or why it even exists. I suppose they want their prayers encrypted as well.

North Texas Interoperable Radio Network (NTIRN) Trunking System, Various, Texas

Last edited:

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Huh? What even is that anyway? I've never heard of a professional radio system having a channel just for prayers and stuff. I'm confused.

Initially, when I saw this talk group, 5293, I damn near came unglued. Then, I remembered the "God Pod" which was located at one of the jails in Tarrant County.

At the time, I was working in the mental health department of TDCJ. The "God Pod" was a faith-based wing of the jail.

One of the Jester units near Richmond, where I worked, was run by a private "faith-based" drug treatment facility. I once watched old G.W sing Amazing Grace with several men in white singing along with him, just like they were singing "Kumbaya."

I might add I did not have any problem with irregularity that day.

KI5IRE

Premium Subscriber
Huh? What even is that anyway? I've never heard of a professional radio system having a channel just for prayers and stuff. I'm confused.

Here’s some info on Ministers Against Crime

I interviewed one of the members of their organization for the news when I was covering the officer involved shooting that killed Atatiana Jefferson’s few years back. Basically they told me that they serve as a liaison between the police department and the neighborhood community and their congregations. Having spent a lot of time in several communities that are predominantly African American during my time working in news, I’ve learned that the reverends and ministers are very active in their communities and very well known and respected in their communities, even outside of their own church’s walls. I’m assuming this talkgroup is either a channel for police to talk directly to MAC members or for them to talk to police or among themselves…that’s my guess of why it would be encrypted.

JethrowJohnson

I interviewed one of the members of their organization for the news when I was covering the officer involved shooting that killed Atatiana Jefferson’s few years back. Basically they told me that they serve as a liaison between the police department and the neighborhood community and their congregations. Having spent a lot of time in several communities that are predominantly African American during my time working in news, I’ve learned that the reverends and ministers are very active in their communities and very well known and respected in their communities, even outside of their own church’s walls. I’m assuming this talkgroup is either a channel for police to talk directly to MAC members or for them to talk to police or among themselves…that’s my guess of why it would be encrypted.
Okay. That makes sense now. Thanks.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber

Yes, but I seriously doubt a talk group like this would exist outside of the "Bible Belt." LOL.