Oklahoma City Area CB Activity

sunwave

Premium Subscriber
If you are new in the area, and a CB-er, most of the CB activity is on Ch 19, 27.185MHz AM mode. Sometimes they are on 27.385MHz LSB. Right now the entire nation is on all channels due to high solar flux keeping day lit side of Earth opened up on a daily basis.

papadoc

Premium Subscriber
There used to a guy back in the 90's who had a really strong amplified signal coming from somewhere in the OKC area. He would key his mic and say "I got my pretty red panties on, I'm ready to go to work" or something like that if memory serves, and would say it over and over again for long periods of time. It would drive the truckers crazy.

sunwave

Premium Subscriber
There used to a guy back in the 90's who had a really strong amplified signal coming from somewhere in the OKC area. He would key his mic and say "I got my pretty red panties on, I'm ready to go to work" or something like that if memory serves, and would say it over and over again for long periods of time. It would drive the truckers crazy.
That was Bam Bam's voice and he passed away some years ago is the news I got.

"I got my nightgown on, my pretty red panties on, and I'm ready to go to bed." was the Channel 19 agitator line repeated as well as "Don't be calling me no crackerhead".

Last edited:

papadoc

Premium Subscriber
That was Bam Bam's voice and he passed away some years ago is the news I got.

"I got my nightgown on, my pretty red panties on, and I'm ready to go to bed." was the Channel 19 agitator line repeated as well as "Don't be calling me no crackerhead".
Yes, that was it. I forgot about the crackerhead line.

twjr80

Feed Provider

He had a repeater type system with several transmitters around OKC.

sunwave

Premium Subscriber
Last edited:

slowmover

OKC is one of the best cities in the country for AM-19. I’ve noted this several times already. The locals are enjoyable. Directions given and warnings aired are a norm.

Been able to test several antenna setups on big trucks by how far out I can receive Rattlesnake & Co.

Activity center is pretty well the downtown intersection of IH-35 & IH-40 for signal strength

From Guthrie up north or El Reno out west, they’ll start to come in. At the ten mile mark I start to be able to be heard in my turn by the better base stations. Harder to acquire from south or east.

Had my share of laughs with some of the observations made among themselves.

Living locally it’d be a good way to understand strengths & weaknesses of a mobile system just past dark to run those two roads.

Other cities exist where this is possible, just not as good in topography.

Had a member of a local Amateur club make and sell me a pair of unusual jumpers. We met at a truckstop convenient to us both. That enabled me to finally upgrade my coax from the poor factory piece in a Peterbilt. Most difficult installation I’ve done.

That’s far from the only time I’ve been grateful for asked and unasked help in Oklahoma. How to get past a new road obstruction, or in this instance, have an effective radio system

As a truck driver one is used to being inconvenienced in small ways a car owner or homeowner doesn’t consider: Drive to buy, or order for delivery. Can’t get there in a big truck, or not home for weeks at a time. Help is therefore unexpected and a blessing.

The OKC regulars have given useful feedback details for the changes I’ve tried.

A good example to work from in my experience. How to encourage.

Great Plains & Oilfield are the two best AM-19 environments for what CB promises.

The acceptable lies in the rest of society don’t fly: lies of omission or dressing a pig in a tutu. Being on the road has consequences thus lack of honesty has no place.

Last edited:

sunwave

Premium Subscriber
A short bit of Oklahoma City local CB ch. 19 AM mode. These operators have good equipment. I can hear most of them really well on my C. Crane Skywave SSB and other radios with only 9 ft of wire taped to the wall vertically indoors. OKC is spread out over a large area. It takes good CB setups to be heard.

If you are passing through or just new don't be afraid to say hello.

Other radio hobbyists listening in share your "watergates" from other cities in Oklahoma. Please no NSFW and heated arguments over the CB because of the foul language which is forbidden on the forums.

KI5EDJ

WRDB542
Premium Subscriber
It's like that on the ham and GMRS repeaters here, too, particularly 462.650 which is, incidentally, channel 19 on GMRS. People are helpful and polite. It's just how we roll. I'm not trying to knock on CB folks, either. There ain't a thing wrong with CB at all.
Some of us have moved around a bit and you can tell those because we'll converse with people who are blunt and to the point, smile, and wish them a good day. Though every bit of that is genuine from both parties, people they know from around here will be like, "that guy was *rude*." Well, no, he really wasn't, he just acted the way they do where he's from.