Oklahoma IH35 Corridor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
The last time I came through Oklahoma, I heard very little traffic on the statewide 800 system from OKC south on IH35. I saw the alpha tag coming up for several agencies, but no voice. I don't know what I did wrong, but I would like to correct it since I thought I'd included the re-banded frequencies. Norman & Cleveland county were not working either.

I have one last question. If Purcell is using TRBO, then how are people listening to them on OKWIN Motorola? I see where Purcell has a digital channel on OKWIN as well.

I would appreciate any feedback on these questions.

Thanks.

plaws

Premium Subscriber
The last time I came through Oklahoma, I heard very little traffic on the statewide 800 system from OKC south on IH35. I saw the alpha tag coming up for several agencies, but no voice. I don't know what I did wrong, but I would like to correct it since I thought I'd included the re-banded frequencies. Norman & Cleveland county were not working either.

I have one last question. If Purcell is using TRBO, then how are people listening to them on OKWIN Motorola? I see where Purcell has a digital channel on OKWIN as well.

Neither Site 40 (Cleveland Co) nor Site 8 (OK Co) have been rebanded, so just put the channels in and trunk. No trick I'm aware of.

I hear some Purcell stuff on OKWIN, but I don't actually know if it's a patch to their MotoTRBO (MotoTRBO is French for "not interoperable", BTW) or a native OKWIN channel or what.

n5bew1

The OKWIN sites in Ardmore, Tishomingo , Arbuckle Mt top, and Ada have a lot of southern Oklahoma covered. There must be a small programing problem. Good luck with it.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Oklahoma Trunking

The OKWIN sites in Ardmore, Tishomingo , Arbuckle Mt top, and Ada have a lot of southern Oklahoma covered. There must be a small programing problem. Good luck with it.

Thanks so much for the feedback. In the old days, I used to intercept LE on the radio while they were using aircraft to ground units for Vascar. One day, I heard them talking about how those with high end radar detectors were asking why they were targeted.

Here is another question. Does Oklahoma still employ aircraft to catch speeders? If so, do they have a special talk group for such activity? Or, does it depend on location?

n5bew1

Yes they still use Ocean aircraft units to check speed. They show up on low band Ch. 1 or 3. Sometimes on 800 I hear them on their troops channel 2 i.e. AR-2 for troop A etc. TG 41808 I think. They may use other freqs or talk goups that I have not heard.

Last edited:

Freqed

I'm just a listener
Premium Subscriber

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Aircraft VASCAR Noted

I appreciate the information about the aircraft. At present, I am re-programming my main routes in Oklahoma through the I44 and I35 corridors.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Back Again

Well, on my return trip to Oklahoma, I noticed more activity around the Ardmore area coming up on the IH35 corridor. As expected, the radio became increasingly silent towards McClain County due to MotoTRBO.

However, when I reached Norman, my PSR 500 activated a Norman TG, but no audio was heard. Since I was driving, I did not get a good look at the specific TG. Yes, I am aware of variable activity on scanners when things are slow, but this is rather odd.

So, when I pass through Oklahoma on my return trip to Texas, I am going to wander over to IH44 and highway 69 to possibly hear OKWIN P25.

I wonder which will be completed first, the bridge and road near Big Cabin (I44) or OKWIN P25?

When I return, I will give my feedback of Muskogee radio traffic.

n5bew1

That is strange but I have not idea how a PSR 500 works. Site 40 Norman traffic is pretty busy all day and night. It carries NPD, OUPD, CCSO, NFD, EMSTAT EMS, OHP for troop A rural and metro plus a host of City of Norman traffic and even some City of Moore stuff also. I have a lot of talk groups locked out.
The Lexington, OK site is a bit quieter but it has Lexington PD and Purcell's talkgroups along with CCSO and Lexington FD. It also repeats OHP troop A rural and metro plus Troop F in Ardmore. Lexington covers south down to Pauls Valley at least. I use a Uniden 796D mobile.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Norman Monitoring

That is strange but I have not idea how a PSR 500 works. Site 40 Norman traffic is pretty busy all day and night. It carries NPD, OUPD, CCSO, NFD, EMSTAT EMS, OHP for troop A rural and metro plus a host of City of Norman traffic and even some City of Moore stuff also. I have a lot of talk groups locked out.
The Lexington, OK site is a bit quieter but it has Lexington PD and Purcell's talkgroups along with CCSO and Lexington FD. It also repeats OHP troop A rural and metro plus Troop F in Ardmore. Lexington covers south down to Pauls Valley at least. I use a Uniden 796D mobile.

In the past, when I've monitored that area, I had no difficulty hearing radio traffic. I am quite certain I programmed Site 40 in Norman. But, I am making progress. The last time I traveled this route, I did not hear any OWKIN analog activity near Ardmore.

Like I said, perhaps my fairly brief trek through Cleveland County was one of those rare situations. Oh well, I am up for an yet another adventure along IH44 & highway 69. Thanks for your response.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Problem Solved With OKWIN

I finally found my programming error regarding OKWIN Motorola. After I arrived in Tulsa & heard dead silence when the various TG's would appear, I started tinkering with the Win500 settings. I've already monitored Tulsa; therefore, I knew something was set wrong.

I went into Win500 to the "trunking tables." It was set on "splintered" & not "default." After I reset the scanner, it worked fine. I heard a rather interesting and hilarious Street Crimes interchange.

I monitored the OKWIN 25 in Muskogee. When I was there, I discovered an unknown TG while inside the Muskogee City limits. TG 1185 was found to be encrypted.

Status
Not open for further replies.