OKWIN and OKWIN P25

Status
Not open for further replies.

HogDriver

Premium Subscriber
Is there a legit reason there are two OKWIN systems? If the original OKWIN can do digital p25, why have a second P25 network only?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

wx5uif

Premium Subscriber
Like what was said above. OKWIN P25 system is strictly digital. The OKWIN has digital voice capability on certain channels that are programmed that way.

You are correct in that this is essentially one system. The sites that are changing over to P25 share the same SiteID as the Motorola Smartzone locations. Also traffic is the same with the same talkgroups across both systems. (When you divide the OKWIN T2 sytem TGID by 16.)

I believe, and this is speculation.., the reason why there are two trunked systems in the database is that the system type is global on the database for the trunked system. The scanner have to have the sites programmed as either Type2 or P25 when entering the trunked sites.

nd5y

The main difference to a scanner user is the control channel format.
Motorola Type II 3600 baud vs. APCO P25 9600 baud.

HogDriver

Premium Subscriber
So if you were to change all TG on OKWIN to digital, it would still not be compatible to the P25 system, correct?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

plaws

Premium Subscriber
Is there a legit reason there are two OKWIN systems? If the original OKWIN can do digital p25, why have a second P25 network only?

That's mostly for scannerland - can't mix P25 and Analog sites in a system on a Uniden radio. Been there, done that, doesn't work. :)

MOST (not all) recent real radios handle P25 just fine as well as analog. They don't care which kind of tower they affiliate with as long as it's an OKWIN tower. I do NOT know what happens if, say, a Troop A radio affiliates with a P25 tower (Site 56 Shawnee, say) when most of the traffic for (say) AM-1 is on Site 8 (still not P25). SOMETHING has to do the translation from P25 to analog).

Status
Not open for further replies.