OKWIN P25 help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kibler

Feed Provider
Hello.....I live just a few miles from the Oklahoma line on there east side, just east of Fort Smith Ark! I use the normal "P25 Standard" setup for the AWIN system over here and all is well, but I can't get even a sniff of a signal when I program for the Sequoyah County talkgroups! My exterior antenna does Conventional all the way to Little Rock, so I have pretty good range! Is there something different that I am not doing for the OKWIN? I am using the BCD996xt scanner! Thanks

N5TWB

This is simply a guess on my part but I'm thinking there just isn't a lot of traffic on that site (Gore). The most likely traffic should probably be OHP Troop C but that would still be a function of a trooper being active in the vicinity of that site. The site coverage map projects a 20-mile circle and that just barely gets to Sallisaw. A really generous coverage of 30 miles would just touch the state line and then you're still dealing with ones and zeros. The OK effort on P25 pales in comparison to AWIN, IMO.

kibler

Feed Provider
Thanks N5TWB.......This was really getting to me, "why I couldn't even get close" to getting a signal??..I did more reading about EDACS, OpenSky and others and all that stuff is GREEK to me! I tried all kinds of ways to create a SYSTEM file that would work with something across the Oklahoma border!!!..It really seems funny that I can get so many of the Conventional channels from Leflore, Sequoyah, Haskell and others with no problem at all! Anyway, thanks much for the reply! I remember back along time ago ,before Digital, I could get all kinds of OHP channels on VHF low band! Man, those were the good old days! The only good thing I can say about this P25 digital is that the AUDIO is very clear on my UNIDEN 996xt, its almost like a real person is right next to you talking! Have a good day

xerb1962

Premium Subscriber
The whole thing is a joke, here in Guthrie switching to 800, OKWIN whatever you want to call it gained nothing. The coverage for handhelds is no better than it was, in fact it seems worse in spots?

B2man

OKWIN P25 Programming Question

I can listen to the OKC Metro Motorola System flawlessly... my concern is the P25 portion of OKWIN. South of Ardmore and in southern and eastern portions of the state the OKWIN system uses P25. My question is this: Do I enter a different "Trunking System" as P25 with its own control channels? Are there "re-banded" trunking tables that need to be listed and selected as "custom" as there is on the Motorola part of the system? Is there a network code? Is it P25 Manual or Auto? Please help. I'm interested in monitoring OHP throughout the state.

nd5y

You might get better help if you post what model scanner you have.
You will have to enter the P25 sites as a separate system. How you do that depends on what scanner and programming software you have.
Since we don't know what scanner you have I don't know what Manual and Auto mean.
Recent model scanners get the band plan data from the control channel. You sould not have to make custom tables.
NAC is irrelevent when programming a P25 trunked system because scanners don't use it.

B2man

Thanks ND5Y and HogDriver... I have a GSR-600 and use ARC-500 Pro...I have P25 entered as one of my Trunk Systems and associate the P25 talkgroups to it instead of the Motorola System... I notice TroopA (OKC Metro) now has associated P25 referenced for AM-1, AM-2, AR-1 and AR-2.
I understand I don't enter anything OKWIN P25 as a conventional frequency and call out the NAC... Am I correct that P25 AUTO with the P25 talkgroups listed, referencing the P25 (OKLAHOMA WIRELESS) and no "rebanding" tables are required?

plaws

Premium Subscriber
Thanks ND5Y and HogDriver... I have a GSR-600 and use ARC-500 Pro...I have P25 entered as one of my Trunk Systems and associate the P25 talkgroups to it instead of the Motorola System... I notice TroopA (OKC Metro) now has associated P25 referenced for AM-1, AM-2, AR-1 and AR-2.
I understand I don't enter anything OKWIN P25 as a conventional frequency and call out the NAC... Am I correct that P25 AUTO with the P25 talkgroups listed, referencing the P25 (OKLAHOMA WIRELESS) and no "rebanding" tables are required?

P25 systems send the frequency over the control channel and not a channel number so a P25 scanner operator needn't worry about rebanding (actually, many Type II systems work on old scanners just fine post-rebanding).

On a Uniden, you have to have separate P25 and Type II systems. I tried to enter the P25 sites as "sites" within a "system" on my BCD996XT since all the talkgroups are the same whether P25 or not, and while the radio "took" it, it didn't actually work. I assume that a GRE would be similar - a separate system is required.

n5bew1

So if I wanted to drive to Davis and wished to listen to the Arbuckle Mt site I would have to change the system from Motorola Type II to just P-25?

Freqed

I'm just a listener
Premium Subscriber
So if I wanted to drive to Davis and wished to listen to the Arbuckle Mt site I would have to change the system from Motorola Type II to just P-25?

You need to create a new System that is P-25 seperate from the Motorola System that is not P-25. I run two Systems, one is labeled OKWIN and is all the analog sites and another that is labeled OKWIN P-25 and is all the Digital systems and TG's.

B2man

OHP P25 Talkgroups are listed in the Troop A area but above in the, now 8 county system, there is no P25 Control Channel Listed for OKC Metro. Does anyone know what the P25 Control channel is?

B2man

P25 OKC Metro Control Frequency?

I'll re-ask my question... Is there a P25 Control Channel Frequency I can enter in my PSR-600 for my OKWIN P25 Trunking system that can track the P25 traffic on AR1,AR2, AM1, and AM2 in troop A OKC Metro area? In RR, under the OKWIN P25 listings (now 8 counties), Oklahoma County isn't listed as it is in the (31 county) Motorola System.

Freqed

I'm just a listener
Premium Subscriber
I'll re-ask my question... Is there a P25 Control Channel Frequency I can enter in my PSR-600 for my OKWIN P25 Trunking system that can track the P25 traffic on AR1,AR2, AM1, and AM2 in troop A OKC Metro area? In RR, under the OKWIN P25 listings (now 8 counties), Oklahoma County isn't listed as it is in the (31 county) Motorola System.

You ask, then answer your own question. OKC isn't covered by the P-25 system. If there is any P-25 traffic for Troop A it is also on the Motorola system as well. P-25 Troop C traffic is also heard on the Motorola system, although it is rough sometimes and comes across hard to understand.

B2man

P25 Testing, actively, in OKC Metro

P25 is being tested in OKC on AM1, 2 and AR1 &2... My scanner identifies the garbled signal as P25 with a NAC... today, yes, OKC is on the analog system but testing is happening. I'm just seeking the control frequency to see if I can track P25 as well as I track the Motorola system. As more counties are added, I want to be ready.

nd5y

Some of you are confusing P25 talkgroups on the analog Motorola SmartZone system with the P25-only system. There can be P25 talkgroups (mixed with analog talkgroups) even though there is no P25 control channel.

B2man

OK then... I'm confused. I heard OHP on AM-1 as a P25 system talkgroup. P25 and the NAC came up on my display and it was garbled. I'm either getting some programming crossed or they're really testing... and that brings me back to my original questions... at least the reason I'm asking...???...

nd5y

When you heard the P25 transmissions were you scanning in trunking mode or conventional mode?
If it was trunking mode, what is the frequency of the control channel in use when you hear P25 talkgroups? What frequency was the voice channel you hear P25 on?
Are they new frequencies that are not in the database?
Can you run Unitrunker on the control channel and see if it says Motorola or P25?
If you don't have Unitrunker then listen to the control channel and see if it is Motorola 3600 baud or P25 9600 baud. They sound different. If you don't know how to tell the difference then unfortunately I can't help because I'm too far away to receive the sites in the OKC area and can't tell you what they are doing.

B2man

Thanks Tom for the reply... I don't have Unitracker but I'll try and note the display when it comes up. The CC is referenced in my display as a channel, I assume from my trunking control channel list and I'll then listen to that freq. I can only assume that P25 would sound like a faster buzz than the lower data rate of the Motorola system. I'm pretty ignorant on P25 between P25 manual, P25 auto, trunked P25, Not Trunked P25, and the NAC's... there should be one NAC that opens up the receiver to allow any NAC to be heard cleanly, and I also need to know whether it's wide or narrow... too many questions and no real good explanations as to what I should set these parameters to in my Arc-500 S/W. Thanks again...

B2man

Update: OHP Troop A is currently testing P25 in the metro as I've stated before. The talkgroups are listed below (copied from RR)... The Control Channel isn't listed in RR for the P25 simulcast for the OKC metro. Eight other counties are listed. Does anyone know what the control channel frequency is and what the set-up parameters are? P25 manual, auto, etc?

Oklahoma Highway Patrol -- Troop A (Oklahoma City) Talkgroups
DEC HEX Mode Display Description Use
2605 a2d D OHP OKC AM-1 Oklahoma Highway Patrol Troop A Metro 1 -- AM-1 Law Dispatch
2607 a2f D OHP OKC AM-2 Oklahoma Highway Patrol Troop A Metro 2 -- AM-2 Law Tac
2611 a33 D OHP OKC AR-1 Oklahoma Highway Patrol Troop A Rural 1 -- AR-1 Law Dispatch
2613 a35 D OHP OKC AR-2 Oklahoma Highway Patrol Troop A Rural 2 -- AR-2 Law Tac

Status
Not open for further replies.